Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#GE16 - North Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Roshane, I will disagree you on one point. Being a professional type should not determine the calibre of candidate. There are other attributes that are far more important than being from the professional class. Some of the worst decisions in the running of this country were and have been taken by so call professionals i.e. lawyers, bankers, accountants. They are all capable of doing a poor job. The reality is that the country is run by a permanent civil service backed up by well paid advisors, lawyers, accountants (PWC and the likes), report writers and spin doctors. It is the job of the politicians to try and keep joe public pacified during their term in office and to try and manage expectations. The reality is that the majority of the professional class are actually so far removed from the reality of peoples daily life that this very much effects the ability to serve and grasp the real priorities. Give me someone with cop on, a sense of duty and a desire to make decisions for the right reason. Let the permanent civil servants do the rest. That's where the real power is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Its only coming from one side there, and it ain't Naas, I know that for a fact. I don't know the background to the Celbridge photo but I imagine there was a "diary conflict" or somesuch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's coming from both. I know that for a fact.

I doubt there was a diary conflict. I get the impression that O'Rourke would just say no straight out.

I was trying to be polite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Browning wrote: »
    Roshane, I will disagree you on one point. Being a professional type should not determine the calibre of candidate. There are other attributes that are far more important than being from the professional class. Some of the worst decisions in the running of this country were and have been taken by so call professionals i.e. lawyers, bankers, accountants. They are all capable of doing a poor job. The reality is that the country is run by a permanent civil service backed up by well paid advisors, lawyers, accountants (PWC and the likes), report writers and spin doctors. It is the job of the politicians to try and keep joe public pacified during their term in office and to try and manage expectations. The reality is that the majority of the professional class are actually so far removed from the reality of peoples daily life that this very much effects the ability to serve and grasp the real priorities. Give me someone with cop on, a sense of duty and a desire to make decisions for the right reason. Let the permanent civil servants do the rest. That's where the real power is.

I didn't mean "professionals" per se, I probably should have called it "managerial" in the broadest sense.
    However, I think it's important that people elected as TDs have the maturity, competency, interpersonal and social skills and competencies allied with the knowledge and experience of both work, business in its economic sense, and community activism to properly enable representation.
    Consequently I like to see candidates with a good history of involvement in local and national voluntary organisations across at least a couple of areas - e.g. sports club and schools.
    I dislike embryonic career politicians who come exclusively from a single standpoint be it many of Labour's full time trade union people or SF's "community workers"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,869 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Orion wrote: »
    On the plus side with this crap going on between them it's very possible that they'll split the vote and neither get in. That would be a win in itself.

I'm not sure I'd stop laughing til the next election. Which could be quite soon, but still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Orion wrote: »
    They can't stand each other. O'Rourke blames Lawless and unnamed factions for him not getting the nomination from the cumann. Lawless and his cronies around Maynooth think he's a ... well use your imagination.

Perfect example in Lawless' newspaper ad. Photos with Caldwell in Leixlip, Ward in Kilcock, Naoise in Maynooth, Fitzpatrick in North West Kildare and in Celbridge - just him. If only there was a FF candidate based in Celbridge he could have had a photo taken with. Bloody children the two of them.

On the plus side with this crap going on between them it's very possible that they'll split the vote and neither get in. That would be a win in itself.

This is very possible. Similar to 2011 if the vote splits anywhere from 60/40 or closer neither could get in. Imagine that outcome would suit the sitting TD's rather than the newcomers

I would not like to see that happening. The sitting TDs are far too complacent for my liking.

I'm not a fan of Durkan at all and I think he's slowly moving out of touch with what's actually happening on the ground. He has been invisible lately.

Although on a personal level I think Lawlor is a very good individual, to me he's been anonymous in KN during his term. (Lawless, and even Stagg, has been far more proactive with updates on developments like the dump near Naas, the M7 situation etc.

I have always had a regard for Stagg, for some reason. Maybe it was the shameful way he was treated and ridiculed all those years ago, or maybe because he seems to have worked very hard for his constituents (albeit over on the north/east side of KN), but I always thought he was honest.

I've already posted about my feelings on Murphy. While I have only spoken with her on a handful of occasions when she came to the door or at the (very) odd public meeting, I totally disagree with her actions over the past year re. DO'B (Of whom I am no fan). She seems surly and removed from us in the Naas area to my mind and I don't recall her ever being positively involved in anything tangible.

Just my thoughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

scheister wrote: »
    This is very possible. Similar to 2011 if the vote splits anywhere from 60/40 or closer neither could get in. Imagine that outcome would suit the sitting TD's rather than the newcomers

If I was still in KN I wouldn't give FF a transfer. They think they can still crank the patronage machine into action when I and many others got royally screwed by FF and the pathetic Greens in 2008-11.

There'll be no FG/FF coalition voted for by me, that's for sure. They are depending on goldfish memories and smart-ass politics like the Rye River stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Anatom wrote: »
    I would not like to see that happening. The sitting TDs are far too complacent for my liking.

I'm not a fan of Durkan at all and I think he's slowly moving out of touch with what's actually happening on the ground. He has been invisible lately.

Although on a personal level I think Lawlor is a very good individual, to me he's been anonymous in KN during his term. (Lawless, and even Stagg, has been far more proactive with updates on developments like the dump near Naas, the M7 situation etc.

I have always had a regard for Stagg, for some reason. Maybe it was the shameful way he was treated and ridiculed all those years ago, or maybe because he seems to have worked very hard for his constituents (albeit over on the north/east side of KN), but I always thought he was honest.

I've already posted about my feelings on Murphy. While I have only spoken with her on a handful of occasions when she came to the door or at the (very) odd public meeting, I totally disagree with her actions over the past year re. DO'B (Of whom I am no fan). She seems surly and removed from us in the Naas area to my mind and I don't recall her ever being positively involved in anything tangible.

Just my thoughts.

I'd agree with you on Murphy, she's high profile because she said something we all knew risk free in the Dáil but that's it....

On a sidenote, do people not realise how dependent we are on the World economy? We don't control if we bust or boom really, our government can really only put a rough steer on it...

• Advertisement

Which is why it's important not to fritter away the 4bn buffer that we currently have. All major parties want to do that and it would leave us completely exposed if/when the emerging economies like China etc implode. Socdems are the only party that don't want to throw that money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Latest odds from PP have Lawless and Stagg moving up, and the FG lads and Cronin moving down.

TaHdfbY.jpg

I was gonna vote for Lawless, mainly cos I saw the last seat as a shootout between him and Cronin. Looks like I may have to rethink that strategy......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Buffman

Some of the issues being raised here are examples of what's wrong with the 'parish pump' politics on a national level. TD's getting criticised for exposing national issues and standing up for free speech, and not being seen to be getting involved with local issues which mostly relate to the county council.

I'm appreciative of Murphys (and her staffs) investigations in relation to siteserv and all that came after it, and the SDs honesty when it comes to not 'buying' their votes with our money through promises of massive tax cuts.

As said above, our economy is very reliant on the world economy, and what happens in China over the next year may have far more influence on our economy than any new goverment could.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

It's been emotional chatting with you all about this. Now it's time to put it into practise - don't forget to vote people. Tomorrow is going to be very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

It may have been a dull campaign, but I can't remember feeling this intrigued as to the outcome before. I genuinely do not know what is going to happen.

Interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

No votes for Durken or Stagg here. Only had 4 preferences, the rest werent worth it IMO

Polling station carpark busy but not a huge number of names crossed off the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Are they waiting on these? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKc09rdV7iE&feature=youtu.be

Are the younger voters interested this time?

My road (and hence my list) is nearly all old people - half the houses are first owners since the early 70s!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Only gave 3 preferences on my ballot, the rest of the electorate can figure out the rest. Catherine got my no.1 anyway.

I noticed O'Rourke had a car parked practically outside my polling station (entrance to the car park) with his name and face stuck all over it in every window...does that not class as too close to the station? Or is it different because it's a car, not a fixed sign? Between driving around with a loudspeaker the other day, and hiring one of those traffic management signs to sit on the Maynooth Road in Celbridge today, he really does seem to be putting huge effort into being the most visible candidate!

Also, anyone see poor aul Durkan's signs defaced on the Maynooth road? Some lovely person has written 'Baby Killer' and 'Pro Abort' all over them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mycroft H wrote: »
    No votes for Durken or Stagg here. Only had 4 preferences, the rest werent worth it IMO
    To be honest, none of them were really worth it.
    Very poor choice on offer.
    For me, it was more a case of who do I most not want in and how best do I achieve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

It's naive to say local councillors look after local issues and TDs after national... While it should work that way, it doesn't, and Kildare North is very poor at playing the game, and time people twigged that. If you can't beat them, join them, and believe me you can't beat them.

Personally I didn't vote for any of the established TDs, I'd rather see some new people in the job. I gave my #1 to the Greens and didn't put down a 2 etc. I think our choices were limited tho, with an excessive number of left wing camdidates. But I suppose when you have a money tree you're going to be popular.

Based on that exit poll - shall we just rename this #GE16.2 or use a new thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

kbannon wrote: »
    To be honest, none of them were really worth it.
    Very poor choice on offer.
    For me, it was more a case of who do I most not want in and how best do I achieve that.

It was a poor choice to be honest. Greens and SD got my 1/2. The rest was making sure the incumbents of Durken/Stagg didn't get back in. They're really ineffective politicians at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Well this election , come what may with result , was last straw re visual pollution . ORourke COMPLETELY taking the pee with gargantuan signs . Area around polling stations completely saturated with signs in final hours . Half the "men with vans" in country driving round with FF/FG on the sides.Or vehicles parked .And signs all over the place at ground level ( that in the very least is illegal)
    Serious questions to be asked re funding of main two parties considering saturation coverage .There needs be a cap or ban on some of this nonsense . SUCH a waste of money with so many badly in need .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I noticed O'Rourke had a car parked practically outside my polling station (entrance to the car park) with his name and face stuck all over it in every window...does that not class as too close to the station? Or is it different because it's a car, not a fixed sign?

Lawlor had his car parked outside polling station in Maynooth, and he was wandering around inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

From RTE:

There are 27 boxes open. Catherine Murphy (SD) 24.8 per cent, Bernard Durkan (FG) 16.1 per cent, James Lawless (FF) 15 per cent, Frank O'Rourke (FF) 11.7 per cent, Emmet Stagg (Lab) 6.76 per cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

How many seats?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

This is a question for the experts - let's assume Lawless is elected. And we have another election in November, if he loses his seat, what pension is he entitled to? Is it based on duration elected or per general election?

Advertisement