Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#GE16 - North Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Buffman

60% tally from KFM.

Looks like the SDs might regret not running a running mate with Murphy.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,869 ✭✭✭✭L1011

HonalD wrote: »
    This is a question for the experts - let's assume Lawless is elected. And we have another election in November, if he loses his seat, what pension is he entitled to? Is it based on duration elected or per general election?

Duration and not til 65 now I believe. A few 2011 seat losses ended up on the dole due to that!

Buffman wrote: »
    60% tally from KFM.

Hard to tell what's her personal vote and what is transferable, but it'd have introduced another name for them at the very least

Murphy tops the poll with ~1400 surplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

No surprises. Though I am disgusted that it looks like we're going to vote in two FFers. People have very short memories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

n97 mini wrote: »
    No surprises. Though I am disgusted that it looks like we're going to vote in two FFers. People have very short memories.

I presume the swing to FG in last election has returned to FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭mightybashful

Orion. You're quiet todat. What's your thoughts?

For me delighted to see Stagg go. But both ffers. Ffs here we go again.

See yas in 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

See yas in 6 months

I'd rather see Stagg in that any of the FG or FF'ers. At least hes active in the northern part of the constituency. Havent heard a peep out of any of the 2 FG'ers that got elected the last time.

Delighted Murphy got in...not so sure another SD would have been elected...might have stopped Murphy getting elected.

daheff wrote: »
    I'd rather see Stagg in that any of the FG or FF'ers. At least hes active in the northern part of the constituency. Havent heard a peep out of any of the 2 FG'ers that got elected the last time.

Delighted Murphy got in...not so sure another SD would have been elected...might have stopped Murphy getting elected.

Other than a few leaflets through the letterbox I've seen Stagg do nothing. Even thoughout the campaign I think labour were the only ones not to knock at the door.

If a tory mp had his past they'd dissappear into the background. Not act as a teller for Irish Water and Burtons crony appointments. **** him. I hate him. I hate the fact he represents my area in the dail

If a tory mp had his past they'd dissappear into the background.

Ireland being more accepting of people than the UK shouldn't be a huge surprise.

You appear to have rather severe hatred issues. That you have issues with his past reflects rather badly on you, nobody else.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Ireland being more accepting of people than the UK shouldn't be a huge surprise.

You appear to have rather severe hatred issues. That you have issues with his past reflects rather badly on you, nobody else.

I don't hate him because of his past. If that's what he likes to do leave him at it.

My problem is with what he, Rabbite, Gilmore etc have turned the Labour party into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I don't hate him because of his past. If that's what he likes to do leave him at it.

My problem is with what he, Rabbite, Gilmore etc have turned the Labour party into.

The SocDems and Labour will need each other as a technical group in the next Dail. We'll see the limits of "Vingince, be Jazuz" on the centre-left then.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    The SocDems and Labour will need each other as a technical group in the next Dail. We'll see the limits of "Vingince, be Jazuz" on the centre-left then.

Haha that in an enda kenny accent made me laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

60% tally from KFM.

Not so. She only got just over a quota - having a running mate would not have worked. They could however have run someone in South Kildare.

See yas in 6 months

Sorry - I was out at the count and giving people updates on facebook and twitter. Didn't get to post here as well. The transfer patterns on the ballot sheets were very interesting. Catherine's going everywhere as expected. FF not transferring to each other. But it was apparent as early as 10am that Catherine was in on the first count.

Can't believe 1) that we've elected 2 FF and 2) that one of them is O'Rourke.

2 makes me sicker that 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Orion wrote: »
    Sorry - I was out at the count and giving people updates on facebook and twitter. Didn't get to post here as well. The transfer patterns on the ballot sheets were very interesting. Catherine's going everywhere as expected. FF not transferring to each other. But it was apparent as early as 10am that Catherine was in on the first count.

2 makes me sicker that 1.

I'd prefer O'Rourke over Lawless, he seems a hard worker so I hope he gets in.

The Mulk wrote: »

Hard worker for who though. He's a corporate whore.

Hard worker for who though. He's a corporate whore.

Which corporations are these?
    Since he's been a councillor there have been certain projects completed or moved forward, that had been delayed for a long time in Celbridge. He seems to have worked hard and benefitted us (the people of Celbridge).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Where is the count centre for the constituency?

n97 mini wrote: »
    Where is the count centre for the constituency?

Punchestown. Both north and south are there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Sums it up, business as usual. Do people have any memory?

2 FF and FG. :(

IbPD1eC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They run the country into the ground, declare war on the people while facilitating tax avoiding MNCs, and fill their pockets with bonuses, jobs for the boys, obscene pensions, PS jobs kept open, and still people vote for them en masse.

Jaysus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Crazy thing is the cronyism and corruption we see is only the tip of the iceberg .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Buffman

Not so. She only got just over a quota - having a running mate would not have worked.

Ye, looking at the final figures probably too big a risk splitting the vote.

Ye, agree 100%, only comfort for me is that none of them came close to the quota. It all points to the lack of choice, I didn't go past a third preference and from talking to others, they were similar.

On the bright side, at least with O'Rourke gone from the Council, Celbridge should be safe from any more stupid traffic lights and speed bumps for a while!:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Saw this doing the rounds .... North Kildare have let ourselves down

CcP98DVXEAAvWFE.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

The Mulk wrote: »

I live in the Naas area and Lawless has been putting in a lot of ground work over the past few years. He's done plenty of self promotion, like the rest of them, but I have seen him work on behalf of several local groups and gave him one of my preferences. Its only the second time in 30 years that I've given FF a preference on my ballot.

I know nothing about O'Rourke so cant comment on him.

On the bright side, at least with O'Rourke gone from the Council, Celbridge should be safe from any more stupid traffic lights and speed bumps for a while!:D

Town will be a lot darker with the reduction in Liffey Champion camera flashes!

I live in the Naas area and Lawless has been putting in a lot of ground work over the past few years. He's done plenty of self promotion, like the rest of them, but I have seen him work on behalf of several local groups and gave him one of my preferences. Its only the second time in 30 years that I've given FF a preference on my ballot.

I know nothing about O'Rourke so cant comment on him.

I live in the Celbridge area, and your above reasons are the reason I gave O'Rourke mine.
    The last GE in Nth Kildare was like a retirement home for politicians.
    Durkan, Stagg and Murphy. And we still brought back 2 of them.
    Although i have to admit, this time around the choice was very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I personally am sad to see Emmet Stagg lose his seat. The vitriol expressed on this thread is disgusting. You only have to read the local papers to see how hard he works and he is impactful in the dáil also. As a labour supporter I expected the protest vote of course, but I feel the wrong people were punished.

Delighted with Catherine Murphy's result. I also gave James Lawless a preference - the first time I have ever voted FF - as I considered his ground work and national potential to be superior to most of what was on offer.

Not thrilled that two FF got in, but as I played a part in that I have to accept it.

Where to now?

(On a mean-spirited side note, Renua's implosion pleased me greatly).

• Advertisement

sadie06 wrote: »
    I personally am sad to see Emmet Stagg lose his seat. The vitriol expressed on this thread is disgusting. You only have to read the local papers to see how hard he works and he is impactful in the dáil also. As a labour supporter I expected the protest vote of course, but I feel the wrong people were punished.

I think the right people were punished. Both government parties saw a huge drop in their vote and rightly so. As for Stagg - his arrogance is completely astounding and I'm delighted to see him go. My only regret is that it's O'Rourke that took his seat. Much as I'd not have liked to see two FG in again I'd still have rathered that than two FF.

Advertisement