Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#GE16 - North Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

TDs have secretaries which makes it easier to respond but it doesn't mean anything will get done as a result but it's always courteous to reply to reasonable requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Joe Public wrote: »
    Posters (including the plastic cable ties) must be removed within 7 days of polling day. These requirements for election posters are set out under section 19 of the Litter Pollution Act 1997 and the Electoral (Amendment) (No. 2) Act 2009. - See more at: http://www.environ.ie/environment/waste/litter/election-posters#sthash.BWfFdcC2.dpuf

Lots of posters from most candidates are still up and many in ditches or on the road. A number of cable ties have been left behind where posters have already been taken down by candidates' teams.

Saw a few, Stagg ones around Celbridge and Clane , they were egger to put them up ( a day before election was announced ), but not so egger to take them down .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Surprised at that. Last Saturday they were all gone from Maynooth and Straffan by 8:30am.

I noticed a few Lawless ones around Celbridge today but I wasn't really looking out for posters, I notice plenty of orphaned cable ties though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Niamh Uí Bhrian from the "Life Institute" let the cat out of the bag in a letter to the Irish Times this morning. For dumping Stagg and Lawlor KN now have two new buckos opposed to the repeal of the Eigth Amendment.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/the-eighth-amendment-and-voters-1.2558950

Still, the Rye River Brewery must be pleased. That's something, eh?

• Advertisement

She's talking crap. Labour were not decimated because of the 8th. They lost their seats for broken promises. She needs to learn that correlation does not imply causation.

In actual fact two thirds of non ff/fg tds elected support repealing the 8th and there are plenty in ff and fg who do also. Numbers she conveniently ignored.

A bit naive of her to be suggesting that this one issue can decide the election.

No not naive - it's deliberate. PLC, Life Institute, Iona - they're all at it. Trying to imply the result is something it's not to further their anti-choice agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

Orion wrote: »
    No not naive - it's deliberate. PLC, Life Institute, Iona - they're all at it. Trying to imply the result is something it's not to further their anti-choice agenda.

Terrible pity reasonable debate has gone out the window on this sensitive topic, should never have been an election issue - some modification is definitely needed to the law but we need to be sensible about what we do i think...

Terrible pity reasonable debate has gone out the window on this sensitive topic, should never have been an election issue - some modification is definitely needed to the law but we need to be sensible about what we do i think...

Yes. Repeal the 8th and then responsibility will lie where it belongs, the Oireachtas and our elected representatives. In both my present constituency of Donegal and my former one of KN the Fianna Failers are all anti repeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 milewidehead

I noticed a few Lawless ones around Celbridge today but I wasn't really looking out for posters, I notice plenty of orphaned cable ties though.

They're an absolute eyesore. Ties should be colour coded or stamped with the Party's logo. Hopefully ours (SF) are all in by now....could be one or two lurking somewhere. We've done our best to tidy up...even took other abandoned ties away with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

They're an absolute eyesore. Ties should be colour coded or stamped with the Party's logo. Hopefully ours (SF) are all in by now....could be one or two lurking somewhere. We've done our best to tidy up...even took other abandoned ties away with us.

Can you pass on a message to the relevant persons in your party, to remove the cable ties that are used to put up the flags from Sallins to Bodenstown for the annual SF march. thanks.

Good idea about colour coding ties.

If that's what it takes to get people to clear up the cable ties as well, then I fully agree. When I was putting up and taking down posters for Fine Gael in Celbridge a few years ago always made a point of clearing the ties up as well. They are not only an eyesore but a hazard. Besides, the Tidy Towns people have a hard enough job as it is keeping the town presentable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

still a 20ft O'Rourke billboard up at the Maynooth Business Park roundabout....

It's on private land. Not subject to the litter laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,865 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is subject to planning rules though.

L1011 wrote: »
    It is subject to planning rules though.

So are the 40 foot containers all over the country. Not just his - the ones advertising stuff beside every motorway. And yet nothing done about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,698 ✭✭✭brian_t

So are the 40 foot containers all over the country. Not just his - the ones advertising stuff beside every motorway. And yet nothing done about them.

Farmers don't need Planning Permission to park a trailer in their fields.

The permanent advertising signs on private land require planning permission.
    County Councils are in Ireland are generally not very good at policing the planning laws and only act on official complaints but
    it still doesn't guarantee anything will happen as many people just ignore their warning letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

All the posters seem to be gone now as far as I can see.

Hopefully we won't be back here for another election anytime soon, but if we were, I'm not sure we'd see two FF back in again. Anyone willing to predict what would happen if there was another election in the the next six weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Anatom wrote: »
    All the posters seem to be gone now as far as I can see.

Hopefully we won't be back here for another election anytime soon, but if we were, I'm not sure we'd see two FF back in again. Anyone willing to predict what would happen if there was another election in the the next six weeks?

If the exact same people go back up again, the result won't be significantly different. Lawlor v O'Rourke for the third seat had 1,550 difference. Difficult to see a major change as it would by FF to FG voters.

Stagg and Cronin polled badly so unless FF/FG voters move to them, extremely unlikely.

I don't think Catherine Murphy had enough votes to run a second candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Yeah, there's always that fear though that there'll be a move away from FF / FG because they didn't do enough to form a government, even a temporary 18-month one.

You might be right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,865 ✭✭✭✭L1011

People who assumed a candidate was 'safe' may return also, not that likely to have an impact here but nationally it could. Theres a few places I could see new FG TDs losing out to unseated old ones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

They're not permanent structures so they're not subject to planning laws.

If they're there for a certain duration then they are classed as permanent structures - I can't remember off the top of my head what that period is but 6 months comes to mind.

The ruling by An Bord Pleanala, re. the case below, in 2013 decided that parking this type of signage on private property “for the purpose of advertising constitutes a material change of use of the land on which it is located”. This means that you do need planning permission.

http://www.thejournal.ie/mobile-trailer-advertisements-planning-permission-bord-pleanala-1206054-Dec2013/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Anatom wrote: »
    All the posters seem to be gone now as far as I can see..?

James Lawless had a poster on the side of the old AIB in Kilcock yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 milewidehead

still a 20ft O'Rourke billboard up at the Maynooth Business Park roundabout....

It's still there........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

The ruling by An Bord Pleanala, re. the case below, in 2013 decided that parking this type of signage on private property “for the purpose of advertising constitutes a material change of use of the land on which it is located”. This means that you do need planning permission.

http://www.thejournal.ie/mobile-trailer-advertisements-planning-permission-bord-pleanala-1206054-Dec2013/

I'm not sure what it is called, but is it advertising?

• Advertisement

It's political advertising.

Advertisement