Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#GE16 - North Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Buffman

Orion wrote: »
    Paddy power don't show the entire list.
    It must be a bit disconcerting for a candidate if PP aren't even offering you odds.:D

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Stagg passed through my estate tonight. I told him Murphy would be my #1 at this moment in time, and sure enough he reckoned she'd top the poll anyhow.

I'm not totally pro-Government, but I also think they've done a decent job, as has Stagg imo. For some reason I've just never liked Durkan, as I find him a bit arrogant. Frank O'Rourke has done a lot as a local councilor but he seems a bit too fond of the photo-op's in the Liffey Champion.

Murphy's a solid TD and I like the policies of the social dems. As for #2 choice, it's a toss-up between O'Rourke and Stagg for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

My preference will be,

Murphy #1
    Cronin #2
    Lawless #3

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

my own preferences would be if i were still living in Celbridge;):D

Réada Cronin, Sinn Fein 1

Catherine Murphy, Social Democrats 2

Brendan Young, Community Solidarity 3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

SF candidate was around the other evening. Their policies are on the flyer, which in summary are less taxes, more social welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,869 ✭✭✭✭L1011

n97 mini wrote: »
    SF candidate was around the other evening. Their policies are on the flyer, which in summary are less taxes, more social welfare.

All funded by the magic money tree!

L1011 wrote: »

all costed by the dept of finance actually so actually you might be closer to the truth of that magic money tree than you realise after all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

davycc wrote: »
    all costed by the dept of finance actually so actually you might be closer to the truth of that magic money tree than you realise after all ;)

Individual SF budgetary proposals have indeed been costed by the Dept - but, and this is the big but - only on an individual basis. The overall economic effect of the proposals hasn't been considered. No analysis of their effect on the overall economy, jobs growth, inward investment etc. has been undertaken.

Costed to Year 1 only. "wealth tax" at a higher rate than inflation means there's less to take every year, and causes all of the magic money tree plans fall apart in Year 2+. SF are economic illiterates and we have the wonderful chance to see how bloody disastrous they are at government 100km up the road - including the water meter rollout and impending introduction of domestic water charging next month that they rally against down here, all brought in under an SF minister!

Costed to Year 1 only. "wealth tax" at a higher rate than inflation means there's less to take every year, and causes all of the magic money tree plans fall apart in Year 2+. SF are economic illiterates and we have the wonderful chance to see how bloody disastrous they are at government 100km up the road - including the water meter rollout and impending introduction of domestic water charging next month that they rally against down here, all brought in under an SF minister!

what an utterly ignorant bullsh1t reply .SF are far from economic illiterates but you keep slinging your cliched right wing 'fears' i assume you have even a link to back up your claims that an SF NI minister are actually introducing water charges story ?

• Advertisement

what an utterly ignorant bullsh1t reply .SF are far from economic illiterates but you keep slinging your cliched right wing 'fears' i assume you have even a link to back up your claimed SF NI minister actually introducing water charges story ?

Bluster and defensiveness don't get around the fact that SFs figures don't add up and can't work beyond one year. I'm far from right wing - but I can count. SF's financial crayon scratchings don't stand up to scrutiny from anyone other than their legion of internet followers, thankfully.

Conor Murphy (of SF) was the DRD minister when NIWater was moved from its statutory footing to the preparation for privatisation. I suggest you learn something about how SF works in government in NI and all the things it willingly does there that it screams and points fingers about down here.

They blame coalition there and yet seem to think that you can enter a coalition here without compromise; taking their electorate for fools in the process.

We have a unique opportunity here to see how an opposition party are performing in government right now and they're an unmitigated disaster. NI economy in the ditch, running to London for bailouts.

Should add that Reada seems to be a solid candidate in other ways, but I can't vote for someone who'll be under the SF whip due to the economic destruction they'll wreak - as a starter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

How do I report illegal election posters to KCC? Election is not called yet and Emmet Stagg's posters are on every lamppost on the Straffan Road.

KCC, but they won't investigate it until the morning by which time it'll be called. Loophole abused every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

How do I report illegal election posters to KCC? Election is not called yet and Emmet Stagg's posters are on every lamppost on the Straffan Road.

Then it is classed as a Litter Act offence and can be reported to KCC's litter hotline 1800243143 and followed up with a call to the Litter Warden at 086 8285577

See details here:-
    http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/LitterPollution/ElectionPosters/

As the election date has not been announced yet then it is not legal to erect election posters.
    "whichever provides the shorter period of time" is the important part of the below.

"Posters may only be erected for a certain specified time period before an election. This time period is either (a) 30 days before the poll date or (b) from the date the polling day order for the election has been made, whichever provides the shorter period of time"

They won't do anything. Called in FF up a poll during office hours the day before last time and it was suspiciously not checked until the next afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

They won't do anything. Called in FF up a poll during office hours the day before last time and it was suspiciously not checked until the next afternoon

I'm pretty certain that the Fine Gael posters that randomly appeared long after the local elections in 2004 and 2009 were stolen and put up for mischief making purposes. Perhaps there is an argument for putting up posters on notified locations so that the litter laws aren't abused for political reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Road Safety Law

Q. Where can posters be erected so they do not cause a disruption to road users?

A. The Road Traffic Acts contain requirements in relation to maintaining clear lines of sight for road users which may impact on where posters can be placed, e.g. not on road signs, at traffic junctions or on roundabouts where they may cause road safety risks. It is an offence to erect any sign or notice that makes a traffic sign less visible to road users (Road Traffic Act 1961, Section 95, Subsection 14). Those erecting posters should exercise extreme caution when on or near roadways and should be aware of their own and other road users physical safety, e.g. crossing busy roads, obstructing footpaths, parking of vehicles etc. For more information, check with the Roads section of your local authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Im beginning to wonder which of our political party's don't actually own one of these bad boys tbh.

Its bad when Michael D intervenes
    Michael D wrote:
    “Is it possible to have a decent society and at the same time continue to lower taxes for the purposes of securing the best short-term benefit?”

But let's single out the Shinners.....
    Michael D wrote:
    The President said there had been great failures of an ethical kind in the lead-up to the recession but the good news was that the public wanted to get to a new place and wanted to get there ethically.
    “But sometimes they are contradicted because they are being offered short-term advantages for themselves which are, if you like, contradicting the best of their social aspirations,” he said. Most political parties have made reductions in tax a key element of their election manifestos. Fine Gael is proposing the abolition of the universal social charge (USC) over the lifetime of the next government.

Their figures don't add up FFS.
    A growing number of people in Ireland and international organisations are warning against exactly the sort of auction politics we’re seeing from the establishment parties. Fine Gael and Labour are proposing to massively erode the tax base – abolishing the USC, for example, would wipe €4bn-€5bn o the revenue base each year. They are justifying this recklessness on the grounds of a growing economy and unexpected tax returns.

This is exactly what Fianna Fáil did before the crash in 2008 – they ignored all the warnings, and pointed to the good news. Then as now, our economy was growing faster than other countries, unexpected tax revenues were appearing, home ownership was becoming impossible and commercial rents were soaring. Then as now, government investment was too low. Then as now, pre-election promises were aimed at buying votes at any cost. The result of all of this was a lost decade, and a great deal of hardship for millions of people.

What Fine Gael / Labour are proposing is, however, even more irresponsible than what Fianna Fáil did. Why? Because there are no safety nets left. When the crash hit in 2008, many households, business and voluntary groups were able to cut back. The State was able to borrow vast sums of money. Today, people, businesses, and voluntary groups have nothing left to give. Public services are over-stretched and the state can’t borrow additional funds. So if another global economic shock hits Ireland, as it did in 2008, we will be far more vulnerable to it than we were then.

I've seen Cronin ones up around Celbridge too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Lawless at Maynooth train station this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

I've seen Cronin ones up around Celbridge too.
    There are Cronin posters up for a public meeting, if they are election posters they are up illegally, any pictures?

vektarman wrote: »
    There are Cronin posters up for a public meeting, if they are election posters they are up illegally, any pictures?

Well now that an election's been called they're legal, but I've seen Stagg and Cronin ones up days ago, on the Maynooth Rd. and the road to the M4 respectively.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Well now that an election's been called they're legal, but I've seen Stagg and Cronin ones up days ago, on the Maynooth Rd. and the road to the M4 respectively.

That's true, the tagged on part on Cronin's posters re: the public meeting have been removed to-day, thus leaving them as election posters in prime locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Well, it's very simple. If we can't balance the books with the current levels of income from taxation and expenditure on social welfare....

Sinn Fein, the mo' money party.

Catherine Murphy's signs are dangerously low - under 2m high at base

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Catherine Murphy's signs are dangerously low - under 2m high at base

Where? I can pass it on to the team.

Where? I can pass it on to the team.

Arguably all of them I saw. Straffan Road, Celbridge Road and the junction of

• Advertisement

It is all of them in that area. Lowest is below my shoulder on a narrow path.

Lawlor, Lawless, Young and the Green candidate have some dangerously low too

Advertisement