Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#GE16 - North Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

A circus group has put up loads of posters with a clown's face around Celbridge, let's hope people don't try to vote for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,869 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Joe Public wrote: »
    A circus group has put up loads of posters with a clown's face around Celbridge, let's hope people don't try to vote for him.

That's not a nice thing to say about Renua and Fitzgerald :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Orion wrote: »
    Where? I can pass it on to the team.

Are you working for CM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

L1011 wrote: »
    Lawlor, Lawless, Young and the Green candidate have some dangerously low too

Are we still talking about posters? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

n97 mini wrote: »
    Are you working for CM?

No. I probably will canvass for her though as time allows.

• Advertisement

Lawless ones are taking the piss - three foot up in places

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Lawless ones are taking the piss - three foot up in places

No chance of topping the "pole"

A dog could piss on them at that height.

Here's an interesting question I was asked yesterday and I'll put it out there:

Irrespective of the short length of time to polling day, how realistic is it that a candidate/party will say/promise/do something to make you change your intended voting?

I was asked with reference to the Green Party. Personally, my mind is made up and as most will agree, it's not what is promised that counts but politicians actions speak louder than their words.

Here's an interesting question I was asked yesterday and I'll put it out there:

Irrespective of the short length of time to polling day, how realistic is it that a candidate/party will say/promise/do something to make you change your intended voting?

I was asked with reference to the Green Party. Personally, my mind is made up and as most will agree, it's not what is promised that counts but politicians actions speak louder than their words.

Damn you double posting

• Advertisement

The Greens are unlikely to take even a single seat nationwide so they can promise the world with no risk of delivery. Ditto PBPAAA as they won't enter government with their likely 5-8 seats.

Opposition is a great place to make promises from. Ask Murphy how many if Democratic Lefts promises were kept in government - she was chair of the national executive at the time!

Can say the same for Labour, Green and PD. Junior party gets the blame in favour of civil war parties - rightly or wrongly. I personally think Labour left their ideals at the door when entering government. Greens did fight for theirs but were ineffective in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Rathkenny

Frank O'Rourke's election 'poster' on the side of a shipping container in the centre of Maynooth is just a step too far in my opinion. I can understand it on the side of a motorway but it's just an eyesore where it is - opposite Manor Mills & beside the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The Greens are unlikely to take even a single seat nationwide

Which is true, but also a pity. I've always considered them to be the party least motivated by saving their own hides, which is honourable in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The Greens are unlikely to take even a single seat nationwide so they can promise the world with no risk of delivery. Ditto PBPAAA as they won't enter government with their likely 5-8 seats.

Opposition is a great place to make promises from. Ask Murphy how many if Democratic Lefts promises were kept in government - she was chair of the national executive at the time!

Not another red cent.

Whether they wanted it or not, FF have an aggressive guy from Meath 'campaigning' in Maynooth. The longer he's here the better

Perennial candidate Michael Beirne is running again. Policy list on the flyer is a weird mix of left wing and quite right wing stuff but that's something Independents can do.

That FF canvasser is causing a bit of noise on twitter when I stated what he said about Dominic Hannigan of Meath East - not suitable to repeat on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Perennial candidate Michael Beirne is running again. Policy list on the flyer is a weird mix of left wing and quite right wing stuff but that's something Independents can do.

I swear my head nearly exploded when I read some of his 'policies'. Some of them include: imposing a ceiling of 3% profit per annum on all banks and financial institutions, giving the president a greater constitutional role, restricting free legal aid in cases of 'serious crime', setting up a cross-party board to sue the ECB for 'violating our nation's sovereignty'.

So not only is he trying to impose communist-style policies, but he's also trying to violate the constitution in acting on behalf of the SC and restricting free legal aid and also bring a ridiculous lawsuit against the ECB.

I really would question the intelligence of any gombeen who'd give this guy a vote.

I swear my head nearly exploded when I read some of his 'policies'. Some of them include: imposing a ceiling of 3% profit per annum on all banks and financial institutions, giving the president a greater constitutional role, restricting free legal aid in cases of 'serious crime', setting up a cross-party board to sue the ECB for 'violating our nation's sovereignty'.

So not only is he trying to impose communist-style policies, but he's also trying to violate the constitution in acting on behalf of the SC and restricting free legal aid and also bring a ridiculous lawsuit against the ECB.

I really would question the intelligence of any gombeen who'd give this guy a vote.

Similar has been said about Trump.

That FF canvasser is causing a bit of noise on twitter when I stated what he said about Dominic Hannigan of Meath East - not suitable to repeat on here!

What's the twitter handle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

is it correct i heard today ,Catherine Murphy is now in favour of water charges?

something got to do with her new party maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Her party is also in favour of TTIP , American biased legislation to protect potential lost profits of mega corporations .Scarey stuff .Some poorer countries already sued for billions for not letting them continue to exploit their resources and pollute their rivers .And they have backing of EU and USA etc to recoup their potential lost future earnings .
    Might still give Catherine a top 3 but very worried by this .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Her party is also in favour of TTIP , American biased legislation to protect potential lost profits of mega corporations .Scarey stuff .Some poorer countries already sued for billions for not letting them continue to exploit their resources and pollute their rivers .And they have backing of EU and USA etc to recoup their potential lost future earnings .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

davycc wrote: »
    is it correct i heard today ,Catherine Murphy is now in favour of water charges?

Here’s what the Social Democrats are proposing. Water charges should be abolished, as should the conservation grant. The meter rollout should be stopped. A full and open financial review of Irish Water should be conducted to identify what cost savings can be achieved each year and how they can be reinvested in the water system. Irish Water should be abolished and reconstituted as a public body, rather than as a commercial semi-state, to ensure it can never be privatised. Public ownership should be protected via a referendum to change the Constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

ytareh wrote: »

TTIP presents very serious concerns for the Social Democrats. While we support the removal of unnecessary barriers to trade where they bring benefits of sustainable economic growth and job creation, we do not consider consumer protections and product standards as barriers to be removed. We recognise the threat the regulatory coordination principles contained in the draft agreement make for very hard won standards and citizen protections in how products are manufactured and sold. We do not support the dilution or watering down of consumer protections under any circumstances. Furthermore, the proposed Investor-State Resolution mechanism appears to give undue influence and power to large corporations in determining public policy. The Social Democrats strongly believe that these provisions, as proposed, represent a threat to the proper democratic functioning of national parliaments and the right of governments to determine policy in the interests of the people alone. We also consider the secrecy of the process to be fundamentally undemocratic. We would therefore not support TTIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Here’s what the Social Democrats are proposing. Water charges should be abolished, as should the conservation grant. The meter rollout should be stopped. A full and open financial review of Irish Water should be conducted to identify what cost savings can be achieved each year and how they can be reinvested in the water system. Irish Water should be abolished and reconstituted as a public body, rather than as a commercial semi-state, to ensure it can never be privatised. Public ownership should be protected via a referendum to change the Constitution.

Where would the funding for maintenance of and investment in water infrastructure come from in the interim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Will they be seeking to manipulate our precious bodily fluids as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

No. As stated to you in the other thread in which you posted the exact same statement.

Her party is also in favour of TTIP.

I don't know where these came from. Read the SocDem manifesto. it quite clearly states:
    Page 41:
    OPPOSE THE TRANSATLANTIC TRADE AND INVESTMENT PARTNERSHIP (TTIP)
    TTIP presents very serious concerns for the Social Democrats. While we support the removal of unnecessary barriers to trade where they bring benefits of sustainable economic growth and job creation, we do not consider consumer protections and product standards as barriers to be removed.
    and Page 39:
    ABOLISH WATER CHARGES

Maybe check your facts first next time.

• Advertisement

Where would the funding for maintenance of and investment in water infrastructure come from in the interim?

Same place it's coming from now - general taxation. Even if all bills were paid - and only about 50% have been - it would only cover the administration costs of IW and the costs of the meters. It's not a self-funding body and is still on the Govt. balance sheet.

Advertisement