Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#GE16 - North Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Orion wrote: »
    Not Kildare related but this one looks interesting. Even Paddy Power aren't sure that Joan Burton will keep her seat:

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-constituencies?ev_oc_grp_ids=2241638

She's 5th favourite in a 4 seater.

that will make my year if she fails the arrogant ould witch .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Not Kildare related but this one looks interesting. Even Paddy Power aren't sure that Joan Burton will keep her seat:

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-constituencies?ev_oc_grp_ids=2241638

She's 5th favourite in a 4 seater.

She did top the poll the last time round so maybe worth a bet if the odds were a little more favourable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Kildare North needs a go getter like this. It might liven up the campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I only heard about this last night - in a rather disparaging way - but its pretty entertaining alright in a cringy sort of way and ticks the "Look at what I've done" boxes for him.

Its interesting too who he has as his "Doc Brown"! I probably would have kept him away from this, for obvious reasons.

We'll see how he goes. Paddy Power has him at 1/12 on to be elected and top the poll.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Could he not find Fine Gael's "Five Point Plan" manifesto or the reassurances of a restrospective deal in that past ?

The "parallel universe" paradox must have applied, or else the flux capacity fiscal space time continuum co-ordinates were miscalculated.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭2011abc

Funny stuff ..."the school I helped get built !" Ha haaaaa.Ego !

You mean like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

It doesnt have the same production values as Martin Heydon's nor the potentially award winning performance of Scully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,869 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Two extra Independents in North that I've never heard of.

Are Cronin and O'Rourke both full-time councillors? Neither has another occupation down. Its not unheard of but also not common!

edit: actually, two councillors in South have that too so it may just be normal to state public representative alone these days.

Cronin is. Not sure about O'Rourke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Who is this Dunne fella in Naas

L1011 wrote: »
    Two extra Independents in North that I've never heard of.

Are Cronin and O'Rourke both full-time councillors? Neither has another occupation down. Its not unheard of but also not common!

edit: actually, two councillors in South have that too so it may just be normal to state public representative alone these days.

O'Rourke has another job as detailed here http://kildarefiannafail.com/frank-orourke/

Hard to know how he fits it in as he is a very active councillor.

Joe Public wrote: »
    O'Rourke has another job as detailed here http://kildarefiannafail.com/frank-orourke/

Active he may be but he deliberately didn't support the Marriage Referendum and doesn't support #repealthe8th so screw him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Joe Public wrote: »

Local businesses seem to have great time for him. Even though he's FF I'd consider giving him a vote.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

n97 mini wrote: »
    Local businesses seem to have great time for him. Even though he's FF I'd consider giving him a vote.
    I'd almost worry if local businesses had a preferred councillor.
    Is there something different that Frank does that makes them think like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Why? Councillors don't all have the same skillset.

He has a reputation for being pro-business.

kbannon wrote: »
    I'd almost worry if local businesses had a preferred councillor.
    Is there something different that Frank does that makes them think like that?

He seems to have the ability to bring people together and get things done in situations where many have failed before.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Active he may be but he deliberately didn't support the Marriage Referendum and doesn't support #repealthe8th so screw him.

:eek:

I'm really torn, really really torn. I had a discussion about my concerns and upset at a certain issue and Frank O Rourke's canvassers actually walked away from me. I had the very same discussion with Bernard Durkans canvassers and then with the man himself and they all listened and talked to me like a human being and then I got a follow up letter from him in the post about my concerns. So I'm not too sure where to go from here although I am very disappointed to read that Frank O Rourke didn't support the marriage referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Call me biased but all I could think of during the video was Gerry Adams as Darth Vader. If SF has the force, who is Yoda? ;)

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Who is this Dunne fella in Naas

He's ex-labour and is a Councillor I think. He's a Union man.

ChewChew wrote: »
    :eek:

I'm really torn, really really torn. I had a discussion about my concerns and upset at a certain issue and Frank O Rourke's canvassers actually walked away from me. I had the very same discussion with Bernard Durkans canvassers and then with the man himself and they all listened and talked to me like a human being and then I got a follow up letter from him in the post about my concerns. So I'm not too sure where to go from here although I am very disappointed to read that Frank O Rourke didn't support the marriage referendum.

Good on you for engaging with the canvassers. I have a no talk policy- Durkan, Murphy, O'Rourke, Lawless, Lalor (and even Scully) have been banished.

I know what your saying regarding the referendum but I tend to not pay too much attention to "crisis of confidence" issues as its at Party level that decisions on referendums are made.

Once it goes to a referendum it's down to a personal opinion and view - I have disagreed with friends over which way they voted but have never dumped them over it.z

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

HonalD wrote: »
    Good on you for engaging with the canvassers. I have a no talk policy- Durkan, Murphy, O'Rourke, Lawless, Lalor (and even Scully) have been banished.

I know what your saying regarding the referendum but I tend to not pay too much attention to "crisis of confidence" issues as its at Party level that decisions on referendums are made.

Once it goes to a referendum it's down to a personal opinion and view - I have disagreed with friends over which way they voted but have never dumped them over it.z
    You're dead right, it's just the marriage referendum was one thing that I couldn't understand anyone voting no in. Thankfully I didn't and don't know anyone who voted no. I'm here looking at the things different politicians have done (locally) but there's still not enough swaying me towards any of them!

ChewChew wrote: »
    You're dead right, it's just the marriage referendum was one thing that I couldn't understand anyone voting no in. Thankfully I didn't and don't know anyone who voted no. I'm here looking at the things different politicians have done (locally) but there's still not enough swaying me towards any of them!

Honestly, the sitting TDs have done little locally. They have their reasons (and it can be argued that they should concentrate on national issues).

Murphy, Stagg, Lawlor & Durkan have left their local councillors and activists to pound the pavements, kiss the babies etc. What is interesting is the internal workings of the parties - In FG, Scully was dropped as a potential runner and in FF both candidates have a rivalry with each trying to win votes in their others backyards. Labour only ran with Stagg etc.

The outcome won't shock people but the dynamic of the electorate's choices will be interested.

The main thing is to encourage as many people to vote as possible - as it's shaping up to be a low turnout.

I don't know about low turnout. The USI have been very active in mobilising the younger vote. I've been out canvassing and there's been high engagement on the doorsteps too. It won't be a record turnout but I think it will be higher than average for a GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Martin Heydon has a rake of posters all over Kildare North. Reckon it's a bit silly and could confuse your average voter with only a passing interest in politics.

Martin Heydon has a rake of posters all over Kildare North. Reckon it's a bit silly and could confuse your average voter with only a passing interest in politics.

Where a outs are they? I know Caragh is in South Kildare but Naas (to its south) is in North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,869 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Beirne is actually canvassing Maynooth station this morning. More effort than I expected - but still likely to get 300 votes

• Advertisement

I was on a later train today so missed him. Was wondering who's leaflets were filling up all the bins in the station.

Advertisement