Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#GE16 - North Kildare

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

I was disappointed to have missed James Lawless doing the rounds in my estate recently as I really wanted to ask him why FF? His credentials seem incredibly impressive in comparison to 95% of politicians, and he seems active and committed with a good mixture of local and national interests, and dare I say it, an earnestness about him.

He is an interesting candidate to me, but not with FF. Independently, I would vote for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Even if independent I wouldn't vote for him based on this:

http://prolifecampaign.ie/main/kildare-north-use-your-vote-to-protect-human-life/
    FF Cllr. James Lawless In favour of keeping the 8th Amendment

Orion wrote: »
    Even if independent I wouldn't vote for him based on this:

http://prolifecampaign.ie/main/kildare-north-use-your-vote-to-protect-human-life/

Hmmmm…not voting for him anyway but interesting link overall!

Here's the doc of people who have committed to repealing the 8th:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5T_zmBLwncFTFBscjBhRzJsVm8/view?pref=2&pli=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

Here's the doc of people who have committed to repealing the 8th:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5T_zmBLwncFTFBscjBhRzJsVm8/view?pref=2&pli=1

It's too simplistic to discuss this topic purely on a repeal or not repeal basis. It's significantly more complicated in terms of what would be allowed and not allowed. The issue needs to be tackled but not voting for a candidate purely on this issue is I feel misguided.

• Advertisement

HonalD wrote: »
    It's too simplistic to discuss this topic purely on a repeal or not repeal basis. It's significantly more complicated in terms of what would be allowed and not allowed. The issue needs to be tackled but not voting for a candidate purely on this issue is I feel misguided.

I actually have more of a problem with candidates that sit on the fence with the issue…cowardly!

sadie06 wrote: »
    I was disappointed to have missed James Lawless doing the rounds in my estate recently as I really wanted to ask him why FF? His credentials seem incredibly impressive in comparison to 95% of politicians, and he seems active and committed with a good mixture of local and national interests, and dare I say it, an earnestness about him.

He is an interesting candidate to me, but not with FF. Independently, I would vote for him.

I think he is a barrister which could explain the "interesting" bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

what an arrogant cheeky fecker lawlor is, great reply from the brewery:D
    has lawlor made any attempt at an excuse for why he claimed this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,869 ✭✭✭✭L1011

davycc wrote: »
    what an arrogant cheeky fecker lawlor is, great reply from the brewery:D
    has lawlor made any attempt at an excuse for why he claimed this ?

"They got EI funding and I forgot they moved" to paraphrase it

If you're going to make a claim off the back of Enterprise Ireland funding, state they got EI funding. That's it.

• Advertisement

sadie06 wrote: »
    I actually have more of a problem with candidates that sit on the fence with the issue…cowardly!

That's ok but do politicans need to have a defined opinion on everything? It would be difficult to find a potential TD (not even a sitting one) who knew enough on all topics to be able to give a definite opinion. What is important to me, is likely, in my case, to be not important to many!

I'm not backing the candidate you mentioned, just wondering if one wants to elect someone with one's sense of values, then one should probably run themselves.

Anthony Lawlor has made a boo boo. This is being picked up all over the place:

Oh dear, desperate man = desperate deeds.

I'm not backing the candidate you mentioned, just wondering if one wants to elect someone with one's sense of values, then one should probably run themselves.

I actually didn't mention the 8th in reference to him, merely responded when it was brought up, but considering how contentious the issue is, yes, I would expect every politician to have given it enough thought to know where they stand on it.

I'm sure he has an opinion on it but all FG candidates in every constituency I've checked has given the same answers. So have all FF candidates. Following party lines as usual. Even though iirc FF will allow a free vote on it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

L1011 wrote: »
    Beirne is actually canvassing Maynooth station this morning. More effort than I expected - but still likely to get 300 votes
    300 too many.
    I read his pamphlet and his proposals are all from cloud cuckooland!

kbannon wrote: »
    300 too many.
    I read his pamphlet and his proposals are all from cloud cuckooland!

Around 300 is roughly what any randomer gets here. He actually got 422 last time; Dr Corish (RIP) got 234 the time before off the back of a few flyers.

I've not seen as weird a mix of far left and extremely far right (abolishing any presumption of innocence in law) policies on one leaflet before. He's definitely spending money this time.

I'm sure he has an opinion on it but all FG candidates in every constituency I've checked has given the same answers. So have all FF candidates. Following party lines as usual. Even though iirc FF will allow a free vote on it.

While I understand where sadie06 is coming from, I can't see the perceived importance of this issue affecting voter choice.

It's not a black and white issue, repeal the 8th in it's entirety is one option, partial change is another Pandora's box.

I see where she's coming from totally. I won't even consider a candidate who won't commit to repealing the 8th Amendment. It's been there for 33 years and any politician who doesn't have an opinion on it is either lying or incompetent.

One person said to me "the people had their say on this already". I didn't. I'm 45 years old was was too young to vote on it. Nobody under the age of 51 now could vote on it. So it's well past time for the generations since then to have our say. It is black and white - it needs to be repealed. The Constitution is no place for something like this - it belongs in legislation. So the first step is repeal of the constitutional clause.

I'm not saying I'd vote for someone who supports repeal - there's one candidate I won't vote for despite her support. But I won't consider anyone who doesn't support repeal.

Around 300 is roughly what any randomer gets here. He actually got 422 last time; Dr Corish (RIP) got 234 the time before off the back of a few flyers.

I've not seen as weird a mix of far left and extremely far right (abolishing any presumption of innocence in law) policies on one leaflet before. He's definitely spending money this time.

From memory, there was a candidate in last election with less than 20 votes :eek: - Beirne should beat that again but may not get his deposit back.

• Advertisement

One person said to me "the people had their say on this already". I didn't. I'm 45 years old was was too young to vote on it. Nobody under the age of 51 now could vote on it. So it's well past time for the generations since then to have our say.

We also had two referendums to minorly liberalise it (both passed) and two to restrict it further (both refused); showing a bit of a trend but still the latest of which nobody under 32 voted in. We're constantly told we've got such a young population etc so holding as sacrosanct and "of the people" decisions from 30+ years ago is ridiculous.

Sorry, I was thinking of the entire electorate, I think it was in Dublin that someone got 16 or 17!

18 - that extra vote was probably hard fought!
    http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2011&cons=104

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Given the easy ride Phelan gave Frank O'Rourke it would be reasonable to assume he is a FFer. Is he?

He says he's not and I believe him. He did mention that O'Rourke did help him in setting up the Celbridge site - how I don't know. I think that Phelan is just giving credit where due and vice versa.

not that any of that would make me vote for O'Rourke. First question I'd ask him is where he's getting his money from. The size of the fcuking posters he's putting up are ridiculous. 40 foot container size at Manor Mills and billboard size at the business park roundabout. Both site owned by businesses - make your own conclusions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

He says he's not and I believe him. He did mention that O'Rourke did help him in setting up the Celbridge site - how I don't know. I think that Phelan is just giving credit where due and vice versa.

not that any of that would make me vote for O'Rourke. First question I'd ask him is where he's getting his money from. The size of the fcuking posters he's putting up are ridiculous. 40 foot container size at Manor Mills and billboard size at the business park roundabout. Both site owned by businesses - make your own conclusions.

The Shopocracy is strong in Celbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

18 - that extra vote was probably hard fought!
    http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2011&cons=104

Cant find him now but their was someone who ran in 2011 or 2007 in a number of area and polled single digits in more

18 was definitely the lowest in 2011; 24 in 2007 (http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2007&cons=166) and 19 in 2002 (http://electionsireland.org/result.cfm?election=2002&cons=159) - yes, I do have a lot of time on my hands!

Jim Tallon received 12 in a bye-election once and he would often run in multiple constituencies on the same day.

To get that few votes you need to have zero profile and/or be insane. I suspect I could possibly muster 100 if I'd thrown my hat in on the last day and sent the Litir Um Togchain out just from a few local organisations I am or was involved in.

What's the rule on the photographs appearing on the ballot sheet?

And why can't we crack down on posters that seem to show (females mostly) candidates with facial reconstruction and smooth lines? Are candidates embarrassed by their depictions? Maybe they are using their Confirmation or Wedding photos but I'd swear one candidate looks embalmed and you know who I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

What's the rule on the photographs appearing on the ballot sheet?

And why can't we crack down on posters that seem to show (females mostly) candidates with facial reconstruction and smooth lines? Are candidates embarrassed by their depictions? Maybe they are using their Confirmation or Wedding photos but I'd swear one candidate looks embalmed and you know who I mean.

A pity photoshop doesn't wash off in the rain.

Advertisement