Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

#GE16 - North Kildare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I know of lots he has done and don't need convincing same as many people in Celbridge and surrounding towns. I don't mind admitting he has impressed me even though I'm not a FF supporter and not campaigning for him either, except maybe for this input. It's worth checking out his recent achievements/involvements here http://votefrankorourke.com/ and nothing is fabricated.
    I've been involved in volunteering for many years and have never come across an individual with the drive and work rate of Frank. I know he is not volunteering but he can definitely get things done through sheer perseverance and dedication.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Banjoxed wrote: »
    A couple of things.

1. FF drove the economy off the cliff. Not once but several times - but 2007-2011 was a masterpiece by their standards of cronyism and naked self interest

2. Remind me what O'Rourke and Lawless' positions on the Marriage Referendum and repealing the 8th Amendment are again..

Turning the clock back to the Good Old Days isn't going to help the country, let alone Celbridge. A few local businesses, angry at not being able to have a word in Charlie McCreevy's ear anymore isn't going to change that. Nor will the clock go back to the days of the conservative Irish Catholic monoculture no matter how smart or angry individuals are about that.

Spot on about FF, for most of the last 90 years they have existed primarily to look after themselves. People have never joined FF for any other reason.

The Labour Party struggle to avoid the trappings of power when they get into power and now have too many people like Ivana Bacik influencing policy.

SF isn't a party, it's a cult run by a few and populated with ambitious carpetbaggers who couldn't make in FF and masses of easily influenced, unquestioning cannon fodder.

FG probably, like Labour still has many traditional members who actually are committed to social change, democracy and justice but unfortunately is now managed and represented by too many people who are no different to FF.

Renua - irrelevant and won't exist in a year.

The Greens - don't exist in the real world.

AAA/PBP and the other left wingers are somewhat principled but again, being taken over by the ambitious middle class carpetbaggers and espouse the magic money tree.

SD, a collection of people who, when they got the chance to do something couldn't face the unpalatable realities and compromises of government.

So, where does that leave us? I think the only option, and probably the best, given that it will have inbuilt controls and differing viewpoints is a "Grand Coalition" of FG, Labour, SD and independents.

Will we get that? I don't think so!
    I think we will get a FG / FF coalition which will increasingly speed FG towards its transfiguration into FF and all that implies!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,869 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I simply don't believe you in your claim not to be a supporter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

The only candidate I've seen to date was James Lawless. Unfortunately I was unprepared and I didn't get a chance to quiz him on the issues of most interest to me (housing,healthcare and the environment). He seemed like a decent and bright character but I've never voted FF and I'm not about to start.

I'll probably vote Green #1 and give Catherine Murphy #2, not that she'll need it. Overall there seems to be a more diverse range of candidates running in the constituency this time than there was back in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Joe Public wrote:
    He was co-opted in as councillor 5 years ago. He usually follows up with photo taking to promote himself and also make sure others don't try to make claim to his work, he's not publicity shy. Unfortunately new developments are needed to keep the economy going and can't be ignored.

Really. He was quick to try and claim credit for getting recent work done in Moyglare Abbey in Maynooth that he had no role in.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lawless's biggest obstacle is his party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Really. He was quick to try and claim credit for getting recent work done in Moyglare Abbey in Maynooth that he had no role in.

But there was no one roaring and shouting on the internet in mock outrage about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I think the story about Anthony Lawlor claiming he created jobs when he did not is hilarious.

I had a personal incident with him also, very negative, he changed his attitude when he realise he was caught on camera.

James lawless has done a lot for our area and deserves the vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

anewme wrote: »
    James lawless has done a lot for our area and deserves the vote.

Like what exactly? Not that you'll change my mind about voting for him as long as he opposes repealing the 8th.

Day to day bread and butter stuff stuff like honest advices on taking the Estate in charge, feedback from Naas County Council, roadways pathways etc, but honest stuff that effects the community.

I'm not a Fianna Fáil supporter but I find him credible and straightforward.

To be fair, Emmett Stagg is good too and will always give a straight answer.

Il don't have the same feedback on Anthony Lawlor. I'm not surprised at the rye river brewing incident.

• Advertisement

Day to day bread and butter stuff stuff like honest advices on taking the Estate in charge, feedback from Naas County Council, roadways pathways etc, but honest stuff that effects the community.

You mean he does his job? All councillors do this stuff. I've first hand experience of the same with John McGinley, Teresa Murray, Padraig McEvoy and Reada Cronin.

Orion wrote: »
    You mean he does his job? All councillors do this stuff. I've first hand experience of the same with John McGinley, Teresa Murray, Padraig McEvoy and Reada Cronin.

Yes basically. I suppose that's it.

I don't even know who those other people are. Despite being 8 years in the constituency.

I've never met them or had ant contact by mail, phone or door knocking to introduce themselves.

They're not in Naas and only one of them is running for the Dail this time. Little reason to ever be knocking on your door

L1011 wrote: »
    They're not in Naas and only one of them is running for the Dail this time. Little reason to ever be knocking on your door

I'm not in Naas either.

There's been no update from these people on anything, by mail email, or personal approach.

No mail drops as to what they are doing for the constituency or the country.

Why then, would I vote for them?

I will vote on who is visible and prepared to work for the community.

i dislike the idea of these people who turn up before polling day and expect votes, only to disappear for the next four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I simply don't believe you in your claim not to be a supporter

I said I'm not a FF supporter but am impressed by this particular FF candidate and think he is worth a mention and a vote.
    Does that make me a supporter?

I'm not in Naas either.

There's been no update from these people on anything, by mail email, or personal approach.

No mail drops as to what they are doing for the constituency or the country.

Why then, would I vote for them?

I will vote on who is visible and prepared to work for the community.

i dislike the idea of these people who turn up before polling day and expect votes, only to disappear for the next four years.

The bulk of them aren't running for the dail and clearly aren't in your council MD - why would they be doing mail drops?

The bulk of them aren't running for the dail and clearly aren't in your council MD - why would they be doing mail drops?

My point is, I'm not going to vote for someone who does not represent me.

anthony Lawlor claimed he created jobs in Rye River Brewing, when they had no idea who he is? I am going to vote for someone who is going to work on my behalf.

Are you allowed do that?I][/I]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Has anyone gone to www.whichcandidate.ie ?

Some of the candidates replies or lack of them has changed my mind on them.

A selection

Réada Cronin

Should high earners pay more tax than they currently do?
    Yes, to reduce economic inequality high earners should pay more tax

"We want to make the tax system fairer which will mean removing some regressive taxes and increasing some other taxes. EG, we are abolishing property and water taxes and introducing a third higher rate on income earned over 100K."

What is your view on Traveller accommodation?
    More should be done to provide accommodation for Travellers, even if there is local opposition

"Communities should always be consulted and engaged with, but discrimination needs to be tackled and people's views on equality challenged."

Bernard Durkan

Not a single quote from him on any of the questions

No, to reward work high earners should pay less tax than they do now

How should water be funded?
    The current policy (with capped charges per household) should be maintained

Should citizens be able to initiate referendums?
    No, citizen-initiated referendums would be costly and potentially chaotic

Shane Fitzgerald

What should the priority be in the next budget?
    Prioritise tax cuts

RENUA Ireland supports the adoption of a 23% flat tax rate. We also believe that the state should be required to maintain a balanced budget during periods of economic expansion, to help ensure that vital public services can be better safeguarded during periods of economic difficulty."

"Our flat tax rate of 23% will mean that all workers keep 77% of their income. This policy will ensure that work always pays. To fully protect lower income workers, a basic income payment of E3,050 per person will be made to those earning less than E70,000 per annum."

Households that use more water (above a set allowance) should pay more

"RENUA Ireland believes that water charges are necessary in order to resolve the consequences of continuous underinvestment and inefficiency in Ireland's water infrastructure. However, we will insist that Irish Water be radically reconstituted so that it is fit-for-purpose."

Should the minimum wage be increased?
    No, it is high enough; further increases could mean fewer jobs

"RENUA Ireland does not advocate any large-scale increases in the minimum wage which would make it harder for job-seekers to find work while also undercutting Ireland's international competitiveness. However, our flat tax policy will result in real increases in incomes for all workers."

James Lawless

No, high earners pay enough at present

"Under Fianna Fáil there will be no water charges over the lifetime of the next government. People should only be expected to pay for a service that delivers."

"Future increases in the minimum wage should be recommended by the independent Low Pay Commission."

Anthony Lawlor

"Referendums are already relatively common in Ireland and there is nothing to prevent citizens presenting petitions. We have substantially opened up the legislative process to citizens both via the work of the Constitution Convention and with the various packages of Dáil reform introduced since 2011."

Ashling Merriman

Prioritise reducing the national debt

" Spending on public services should be increased. This would be paid for by a tax on wealth, enforcement of a minimum effective rate of 12.5% of corporation tax and a Financial Transactions Tax. The cuts to health service has lead to a deprived unsafe system to staff and patients "

"I believe that the rich should pay their fair share of tax. We would end the tax exile status that Irish billionaires currently enjoy. At the moment Ireland has high rates of indirect taxes and the proportion of revenue coming from the PAYE sector has increased. "

When should abortion be permitted?
    Abortion should be freely available up to a certain number of weeks in a pregnancy

"People Before Profit are for a woman’s right to choose. We will present legislation to abolish the maximum 14 year prison sentence for people who procure abortions. We believe that women have the right to control their own bodies."

Yes, the minimum wage should be increased further

"We need a living wage of €11.50 an hour. We should also remove the current loopholes in the minimum wage legislation that allows employers to pay less during a ‘training’ period. To many people are been hired on poverty wages this must be stopped "

What is your view on the Local Property Tax?
    Property taxes are unfair and should be abolished

"The Local Property Tax take no account of ability to pay. It is based on ‘market value’ which means that the tax on a smaller house in Kildare will be higher than a mansion in Mayo. The tax is only levied on the first acre of a property and not the rest. This is particularly beneficial to wealthy "

Has European integration gone too far?
    Yes, more power should be returned to member states

"The ECB forced this country to pay off private bondholders’ debt. EU rules have been used to dictate a strategy of privatisation. The EU is hiding behind non-democratic institutions to promote a neo-liberal agenda. "

Are criminal sentences too lenient in Ireland?
    No, there should be a greater focus on rehabilitation rather than punishment

"It depends on the crime. White collar crimes such as insider trading and corruption should be more severely punished. We need to address the causal factors behind the rise in crime. These are linked to poverty, unemployment and the wealth gap. "

Catherine Murphy

Not a single quote from her on any of the questions

What is your view on Traveller accommodation?
    More should be done to provide accommodation for Travellers, even if there is local opposition

Yes, allowing citizens to initiate referendums would empower the people

Maebh Ní Fhallúin

"We support leaving tax rates unchanged for the first two years of the next Government, and using the revenue to invest in social services and public infrastructure. We would then review tax rates with a view to reducing the taxation burden if sustainable, starting with low earners."

None of the above

"We support linking the minimum wage to the Counsumer Price Index on an annual basis, to reflect changes in the cost of living. We would set a floor of €8.65, below which the minimum wage could not fall."

Frank O'Rourke

Emmet Stagg

"Labour supports tasking the Low Pay Commission with raising the Minimum Wage to €11.30 over lifetime of next Government."

"The Labour Party proposed and put in place the Constitutional Convention, a first attempt at citizen led engagement to examine our constitution."

Brendan Young

Prioritise increased spending on public services

"Restore the €4 billion cut from healthcare: for more staff, and pay increases to retain them; for new buildings and hundreds more beds to increase capacity. Education, esp Special Needs, must be fully funded, to end costs to parents. Expand public transport: reduce energy use to fight climate change"

"Those who caused the crash should pay for it: end bank bailouts. Tax according to ability to pay: slash consumption taxes; tax wealth over €1 million; a 5% levy on top incomes, the 10,000 who get nearly €600,000; tax multinationals at an effective 12.5%; a Financial Transaction Tax on share deals."

Water should be free at the point of use and funded through general taxation

"The water charge is regressive – ignoring ability-to-pay. It's a bank bailout charge. It would only cut consumption by 3%. Fund water through progressive taxation; increase charges to commercial users, who profit from water; fix leaks and build treatment works thro state funding; no privatisation."

When should abortion be permitted?
    Abortion should be freely available up to a certain number of weeks in a pregnancy

"Abortion should be safe, free & legal. Women should have the same rights and choices as men to medical treatment, including abortion. There should be no legal restrictions on abortion. It should be the decision of a woman and her doctor, guided by medical regulation and international best practice."

Yes, the minimum wage should be increased further

"Increase the minimum wage to a living wage of at least €11.50 an hour, rising to €14 – applied also to young people. Low minimum wage means low wages for all workers – when corporate profits have increased. Low minimum wage also increases the disparity between the domestic and multinational economy."

Should all employees be guaranteed a certain number of hours work per week?
    Yes, employees who want it should be given a guaranteed number of hours

"All employees should get a contract that specify hours and wages. Zero hours and 'if-and-when' contracts should be banned. The best means for workers to get decent wages is to end restrictions on their right to defend wages and conditions by repeal of the Thatcherite 1990 Industrial Relations Act."

What is your view on the Local Property Tax?
    Property taxes are unfair and should be abolished

"The LPT gets most from average earners. 70% of LPT payers in Kildare have houses valued under €200,000. It is another bank-bailout tax. Scrap it and instead levy: a wealth tax; an extra 5% from those paid over €500,000; an effective 12.5% on profits of multinationals; a Financial Transaction tax."

Has European integration gone too far?
    Yes, more power should be returned to member states

"The EU is anti-democratic and anti-social, giving absolute priority to banks and big business – as people go hungry and homeless. Yet there is not a national solution. So we must break the anti-social rules, retain trade and social links, and form new agreements with European and other countries."

Should more wind farms be built in Ireland?
    Yes, we need more wind farms

"I support state-owned wind farms that have community participation. I oppose developer-led projects designed to maximise profit. They should be part of an integrated European system for renewable energy, with solar, wave, tidal and geothermal - built in conjunction with energy storage systems."

Yes, allowing citizens to initiate referendums would empower the people

"I support popular power, but referendums can't be won without political organisation. To advance the interests of ordinary people, and equality for women and other groups, a new party is needed as a democratic means to fight for our interests – both in referendums and to form a workers' government."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Only Anthony Lawlor and Catherine Murphy didn't elaborate... disappointing.

I also don't get this "financial inequality" from Cronin and Merriman. Some people studied, got qualifications, worked their balls off over many years to get where they are, but they should be taxed more to bring their take home down to the level of someone who did none of those things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Only Anthony Lawlor and Catherine Murphy didn't elaborate... disappointing.

I also don't get this "financial inequality" from Cronin and Merriman. Some people studied, got qualifications, worked their balls off over many years to get where they are, but they should be taxed more to bring take take home down to the level of someone who did none of those things?

I agree. This mythical 100k number baffles me. It also doesn't take into account single income vs dual income households. So a single income of 120k will pay more tax that a dual income of 140 combined.

galljga1 wrote: »

Fair fecks to Durkan. No candidate should be set up like that nor should they have to take it either.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Fair fecks to Durkan. No candidate should be set up like that nor should they have to take it either.

Given that it was a clearly anti wind turbine meeting and that he was pro wind turbines, he was a bit foolish to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I don't think he was foolish to attend. It appears from the footage there that he was foolish to stay standing when no one could hear him and when he was getting shouted at to sit the hell down. Maybe he just has balls of steel. Maybe he thought they were cheering him. Either way, he's still odds on to take the second seat, well behind Catherine Murphy...

Anatom wrote: »
    I don't think he was foolish to attend. It appears from the footage there that he was foolish to stay standing when no one could hear him and when he was getting shouted at to sit the hell down. Maybe he just has balls of steel. Maybe he thought they were cheering him. Either way, he's still odds on to take the second seat, well behind Catherine Murphy...

Is he odds on? He is the only one who appears around my area but I think his support is waning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Is he odds on? He is the only one who appears around my area but I think his support is waning.

He's at 1/5 on apparently. Murphy at 1/80 on, and Lawless at 4/11...

Given that it was a clearly anti wind turbine meeting and that he was pro wind turbines, he was a bit foolish to attend.

Damned if he did and damned if he didn't, it would have been spun against him either way

Turning down an invite usually leads to wails of derision anyway.

While I'm not a fan of the subsidised wind industry some of the local anti campaigners act disgracefully. Misinformation and baseless attacks abound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

The only canvassers I have seem were Lawlor's the other night and Murphy who called when we were out.

I asked the chap canvassing for Lawlor to get him to call around - which he did. I thought he was pretty good - forthright, realistic and pragmatic. Prepared to listen, debate and gently disagree when our points of view differed. A nice guy that you would go for a pint with.

This was in marked contrast to Durkan and Brady, the only two I nabbed five years ago who came across as arrogant and dismissive!

• Advertisement

Rosahane wrote: »
    The only canvassers I have seem were Lawlor's the other night and Murphy who called when we were out.

I asked the chap canvassing for Lawlor to get him to call around - which he did. I thought he was pretty good - forthright, realistic and pragmatic. Prepared to listen, debate and gently disagree when our points of view differed. A nice guy that you would go for a pint with.

This was in marked contrast to Durkan and Brady, the only two I nabbed five years ago who came across as arrogant and dismissive!

Yeah, our man Anto, as my daughter calls him, is supposed to be 'sound' because he invited her class into the Dáil and answered question. A few future votes won, methinks. I do find Durkan arrogant and dismissive and his ability to waffle and not answer a question is second to none.

Advertisement