Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting braces - Need suggestions for non-staining foods

Options
  • 08-01-2016 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Hoping the wise people of the cooking forums can help me out with this. I'm getting braces tomorrow. White train tracks for 4 months. I've been given a list of food to avoid which pretty much contains all the foods I eat :( Here's the list:
    • Coffee (I'm ok with this, I can live without it)
    • Curries
    • Cumin, Paprika, Cajun, Tumeric spices etc
    • Any tomato based sauces
    • Soups of colour

Looking at it it doesn't look that bad except for the fact that pretty much everything I eat is either tomato based or has the above spices in it.

I'm panicking and drawing a complete blank on what I should eat for lunch/dinner. I'm ok for breakfast. I'll be either having a spinach smoothies or greek yogurt and fruit. I don't eat bread/wraps or pasta.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Was in same situation last year. I didn't give up anything, I just made sure I brushed after every big meal and used mouthwash. You're braces will stain regardless of what you eat unless you want to eat white food only. I bought an electric toothbrush and kept it in my bag with some paste so I could brush at work or at a mates house after eating. Worked great for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

I have braces and would agree with the advice above. You don't need to cut out anything really, just floss and brush carefully etc. I also like to drink lots of water after finishing a meal to make sure not much food residue stays in my mouth. Definitely stock up on straws if you drink soft/sugary drinks, they decay and damage your teeth like crazy. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I had Invisalign that were nigh on impossible to remove without crying so ate with them on during work. My lunches were mainly pasts with chickpeas and mushroom. Dull, but soft and beige :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

I had braces twice and did not cut out any of those things - granted I got the actual brackets changed a few times, they were metal, not clear/white.

Just rinse with water after every meal, and definitely don't stay away from tomato based sauces or soup! I've never heard of an orthodontist telling a patient to avoid types of soup, rather you may find you'll eat a lot of soup in the first few days.

I would avoid the hard foods, rather than the colourful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

mdudy wrote: »
    I had braces twice and did not cut out any of those things - granted I got the actual brackets changed a few times, they were metal, not clear/white.

Just rinse with water after every meal, and definitely don't stay away from tomato based sauces or soup! I've never heard of an orthodontist telling a patient to avoid types of soup, rather you may find you'll eat a lot of soup in the first few days.

I would avoid the hard foods, rather than the colourful.

The white/clear are different and stain. I've had regular metal braces before and didn't need to worry about staining. So far so good anyway and I'm keeping them as stain free as possible. Not brave enough to eat a curry yet :P

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Maybe try coconut milk based curries rather than tomato?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Maybe try coconut milk based curries rather than tomato?

I'd imagine the issue with curry would be the turmeric in most curries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I had the clear brackets last year and all I gave up was hard bread rolls and apples (but apple slices were fine). I eat a lot of curries, foods with spices, tomato-based soups etc and had no problems with staining. I think drinking lots of tea and coffee would be the main offenders. Having said that, my braces were on in the midst of my diet coke addiction and that didn't seem to cause any staining either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

jokettle wrote: »
    I had the clear brackets last year and all I gave up was hard bread rolls and apples (but apple slices were fine). I eat a lot of curries, foods with spices, tomato-based soups etc and had no problems with staining. I think drinking lots of tea and coffee would be the main offenders. Having said that, my braces were on in the midst of my diet coke addiction and that didn't seem to cause any staining either.

That's good to hear. Maybe the dentist was just trying to scare me :D

Advertisement