Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the TV package run through my internet

Options
  • 08-01-2016 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Quick question, I am a very newly signed up account.

I was told by  Virgin Media rep on closing my account that Eir use the TV package through the Internet. Is this true, and if so will it take from my 100MBS speeds/

One of the main reasons I am leaving VM is my wifi is shocking, and if I am going to have the same issues with Eir I would rather know before hand.

Thanks,

Al

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

yes its linked through your broadband, its IPTV viewing

if you live in a house and not interested in sports/movies

Freesat/saorview has a better selection of free TV channels than Eir/Virgin TV's basic tv packages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

allibastor wrote: »
    Hi,

I was told by  Virgin Media rep on closing my account that Eir use the TV package through the Internet. Is this true, and if so will it take from my 100MBS speeds/

One of the main reasons I am leaving VM is my wifi is shocking, and if I am going to have the same issues with Eir I would rather know before hand.

Thanks,

Al
    Hi allibastor

Yes it's run through the eFibre broadband but an automatic 20Mb is assigned to it from your speeds from the beginning - so whatever speeds your line can hold deduct 20Mb from it to get an idea of the download speeds you would get up to.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi,

Thanks,

Al
    Yes, the TV is received through your internet connection, so yes when used does detract from the available broadband speed for other purposes.

Wifi has little to do with the ISP and problems should be resolved locally (in home).
    Problems are unlikely to be related to the ISP ......  except that maybe the modem/router supplied by the ISP is problematic, in which case the ISP should replace it.

Hi,

Thanks,

Al
    Yes, the TV is received through your internet connection, so yes when used does detract from the available broadband speed for other purposes.

Wifi has little to do with the ISP and problems should be resolved locally (in home).
    Problems are unlikely to be related to the ISP ......  except that maybe the modem/router supplied by the ISP is problematic, in which case the ISP should replace it.
    Correct Johnboy1951

I forgot to mention that while 20Mb is automatically assigned to the eir vision a further up to 8Mb may be taken when the eir vision box is in use..

Cheers
    AL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

eir: Alan wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,

Al

Correct Johnboy1951

I forgot to mention that while 20Mb is automatically assigned to the eir vision a further up to 8Mb may be taken when the eir vision box is in use..

Cheers
    AL
    I feel this is something which should have been said at some stage during my sign up. It wasn't in anyway shape or form mentioned.

So basically at a max my internet speed is going to be 72MBS, at a max if the line will hold it.

To be fair, I have not actually signed up yet and I am getting alarm bells on this!!!

Since I will also have an additional box in use, 2 in total, how much line speed am I expecting that this will take from?

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks,

Al

Correct Johnboy1951

Cheers
    AL
    I feel this is something which should have been said at some stage during my sign up. It wasn't in anyway shape or form mentioned.

So basically at a max my internet speed is going to be 72MBS, at a max if the line will hold it.

To be fair, I have not actually signed up yet and I am getting alarm bells on this!!!

Since I will also have an additional box in use, 2 in total, how much line speed am I expecting that this will take from?
    Hi allibastor

I can understand your feelings on this but this is why I have mentioned it now. So, 20Mb automatically taken off your speed then a further 8Mb per eir vision box in use.

All speeds are provided on the basis of 'up to' for such reasons and equally because of WiFi can be slower than connected directly via Ethernet cable,

Cheers
    AL

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Hi,

Thanks,

Al

Correct Johnboy1951

Cheers
    AL

Are you sure you can get 100mbps? Most Eircom-installed VDSL is set at 50mbps down & 20 mbps up. You would need to get this clarified before you make any committment. And the tv should be free for 12 months too????

Hi,

Thanks,

Al

Correct Johnboy1951

Cheers
    AL

Hi allibastor

I can understand your feelings on this but this is why I have mentioned it now. So, 20Mb automatically taken off your speed then a further 8Mb per eir vision box in use.

All speeds are provided on the basis of 'up to' for such reasons and equally because of WiFi can be slower than connected directly via Ethernet cable,

Cheers
    AL
    So Basically,

Even before I start my package usage, which by the way the sales rep said in my area is 100MBS and I am close to a thing called a cabinet that I will have near 30MBS removed from the service. 

SO at a MAX I can now have speed ups to an including 72MBS. This means that my internet speed needs to be above  50MBS constantly for me to use a TV, Netflix and PS4 at the same time.

Can you confirm this to me please

Hi,

Thanks,

Al

Correct Johnboy1951

Cheers
    AL

Hi allibastor

Cheers
    AL
    So Basically,

Even before I start my package usage, which by the way the sales rep said in my area is 100MBS and I am close to a thing called a cabinet that I will have near 30MBS removed from the service. 

SO at a MAX I can now have speed ups to an including 72MBS. This means that my internet speed needs to be above  50MBS constantly for me to use a TV, Netflix and PS4 at the same time.

Apologies allibastor, can your clarify what you would like me to confirm?

20Mb is automatically taken off your speed and dedicated to the eir vision. Then a further 8Mb per eir vision box in use. leaving you with the rest for internet usage. That's still quiet a lot - feel free to PM em your land line and I will check what speeds your line can hold :)

Al

Hi,

Thanks,

Al

Correct Johnboy1951

Cheers
    AL

Hi allibastor

Cheers
    AL
    So Basically,

20Mb is automatically taken off your speed and dedicated to the eir vision. Then a further 8Mb per eir vision box in use. leaving you with the rest for internet usage. That's still quiet a lot - feel free to PM em your land line and I will check what speeds your line can hold :)

Al
    Hi Alan,

hang tough, so now it is 20MBS for the actual usage, and 8MBS PER BOX? making it 32MBS.

This means my line has to have more than 32MBS on it at all times. 

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks,

Al

Correct Johnboy1951

Cheers
    AL

Hi allibastor

Cheers
    AL
    So Basically,

Al
    Hi Alan,

hang tough, so now it is 20MBS for the actual usage, and 8MBS PER BOX? making it 32MBS.

This means my line has to have more than 32MBS on it at all times. 
    Yes allibastor that is what I have being advising

The number you have PM'd me is not found on our systems?

I think it would be faster for me to call you to explain all this - do you have a mobile number I can call you on?

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Very sorry to jump in this thread... But reading it seems relevant to me. 

I signed up today as Vodafone are unable to provide me a TV service as they require 40+ meg connection and my line is rated at 40. 
    My problem from reading this is that I actually receive about 24-26 on a good day... So am I to assume that will get swallowed up by my new eir vision package (20 + 8 = wtf?) and essentially crippling my other devices? (iPads and PlayStations running Netflix etc)

Very sorry to jump in this thread... But reading it seems relevant to me. 

I signed up today as Vodafone are unable to provide me a TV service as they require 40+ meg connection and my line is rated at 40. 
    My problem from reading this is that I actually receive about 24-26 on a good day... So am I to assume that will get swallowed up by my new eir vision package (20 + 8 = wtf?) and essentially crippling my other devices? (iPads and PlayStations running Netflix etc)
    Hi Savage Tyrant

It would depend on what your line qualifies for - please PM me your order number, address and land line number and I will look in to this for you.

Thanks
    Al

Pm sent. Thanks. 

Cheers Savage Tyrant

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with

Al

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. 
    I have been with eir vision since my last post with no issues. 
    Yesterday I had a second box installed and today my internet quality (on PlayStation) has dropped in quality quite significantly. 
    If I run speed test on my phone it still reads 30meg or so.... Is this already accounting for my -20 -8 and -8 or do those allocations still show in speedtest for me to subtract myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Once the box is turned on the modem reserves the bandwidth, so if both boxes are on and you speed test thats the speed left after the TV is subtracted.

If your PS is connected via homeplugs that would do it. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭eir: Stacey

Hi there, Thanks for getting in touch. ED E would be correct the more boxes you have the bandwidth is taken from this. I would recommend contacting the Eir vision support team on 1890260260 or freephone 1901 Opt 3 Opt 2 & they can troubleshoot this with you fully. Stacey

Advertisement