Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying pc parts in US

Options
  • 08-01-2016 1:31pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What would be a good site to do so, best prices? Note, I will actually be in the US.

Was thinking of getting electronics when I was over there as it's cheaper. What would you guys think the best margins would be on CPU, GPU etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Newegg is the standard. Try Reddit.com/r/buildapcsales for the real juicy bargains

Someone will list more comprehensive sites that's all I can think of :D Have you parts to pick up in mind, or is it a case of if you see a deal

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks will check out there. Kinda both. I have a 560ti that needs serious updating. My cpu is 2500k so not sure if it's worth changing yet, but I may get one anyway. No particular parts in mind as I'm out of touch.

Apart from that any deals I can see :D New mobo etc

Might get an oculus rift at some point so may build a whole new pc, so the more expensive parts could be got while I'm over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

If you oc the i5 you'll be sound there anyways!.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You moved over or just visiting? If you're only visiting It's a bit of a pain in the hole in terms of avoiding customs and should you ever need a RMA... Although the prices are very tempting!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fouro

The top 3 online sites are tigerdirect newegg and amazon. Depending on where you are going there maybe a microcenter nearby which have outlets in most urban areas now. Watch out for bundle deals which is where the real savings kick in (CPU+RAM+MB etc). Make sure to assemble and test all parts before bringing them back to Ireland. Register the guarantees in your name with a friend or relatives US postal address for RMA purposes. Thats the real pita if something goes wrong but its the risk you take.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks guys, Why, do they check for that kinda stuff challenge?

Only problem might be testing them hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fouro

If you buy from a Micro Center retail outlet they have computer test benchs in store. Explain that you are buying the components as a gift and want to make sure they are not DOA. They also operate a rebate scheme in the US which are posted out within 30 days of offers so its worth giving an address you will get use of them.

That's pretty awesome cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

fouro wrote: »
    If you buy from a Micro Center retail outlet they have computer test benchs in store. Explain that you are buying the components as a gift and want to make sure they are not DOA. They also operate a rebate scheme in the US which are posted out within 30 days of offers so its worth giving an address you will get use of them.

Just to really really advise getting yourself to a Micro Center. A good few friends living over there have been raving about how amazing they are over the last few months.

Apparently it's true PC heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Thanks guys, Why, do they check for that kinda stuff challenge?

Well I suppose you've about the same chance as anyone else coming back through the airport to be stopped by customs.... it's a little bit harder to claim that you brought all the individually boxed computer components with you when you went :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement