Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making sausages

Options
  • 08-01-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Anyone make there own ?

I used to have a kit years ago but am now thinking of investing in a grinder with a sausage attachment, but seems to be loads of different ones out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

I don't but would be interested to see what you go with in the end !

Without getting all the gear, you could probably make something closer to a pudding which is about as far as I've gone in the past.

F.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: I've moved this into Cooking & Recipes, it's better suited to here.

If you do a search of this forum you'll find some old threads on the subject. They're too old to be revived but you might get some tips from them while waiting for replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If you have a kitchenaid, you could get the grinder/sausage stuffer attachment for that. Saves you getting a separate machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Worth asking in the Shooting forum as well. ( In the Sports section of Boards)
    Some guys there have their own sausage makers and will share recipies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Need a supplier of natural casings in ireland, only one I could find was in gb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Check the Eastern European shops they often have the casings or can get them.
    My local Supervalu has them from time to time in that section.
    FWIW I have a mincer/stuffer and while it works OK, I feel the best way to stuff sausages is to have a dedicated sausage stuffing machine, you mix the mince spice etc up and fill the hopper, then you crank the piston down to fill the casings. The combination mincer/stuffer isn't as controllable as you can't fit all the mix into it and have to force handfuls of it in and use the stodger to push it down, this allows air into the mix and you can end up with sausages that have a lot of air in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Aldi had a food processor with a grinder & sausage attachment in their stores a few weeks ago at €150 but I saw yesterday they were reduced to €59.99 to clear, so may plump for one of them as my processor is on its last legs anyway !

I've seen dried natural casings for sale - I presume they work ok ?

Andip wrote: »
    Aldi had a food processor with a grinder & sausage attachment in their stores a few weeks ago at €150 but I saw yesterday they were reduced to €59.99 to clear, so may plump for one of them as my processor is on its last legs anyway !

I've seen dried natural casings for sale - I presume they work ok ?
    Dry casings are cellulose, not natural.
    Natural casings are sold salted and refrigerated.
    I just bought a 10m pack of natural casings for 3.99 from Supervalu.
    They are brought in by Maxela.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Half pork belly, half pork chops or shoulder if the butcher has some when I go up at the last minute usually!
    salt
    breadcrumbs
    dried onions
    herbs/spices to taste - I use sage, fennel seeds, allspice, nutmeg, garlic, paprika the world is your oyster here.

skin the meat (if it has any)
    mince the meat coarsely
    mix in the salt and spices
    mince finely.
    Mix in the breadcrumbs

fry a teaspoon to check the seasoning - adjust if necessary, and check again.

switch the mincer blades for the sausage maker

make yer sausage.

CJhaughey wrote: »

Thanks, certainly haven't seen them in Supervalu but must ask if they can get them in

• Advertisement

Try the Italian ones in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54774832
    Let me know if you have trouble getting them, I could always send a pack to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭nihicib2

would anyone have a recipe for beef sausages, I keep a few Dexter cows and have slaughtered one recently so he's in the freezer. Id love to make some sausages from the beef but wouldn't be sure about making them. Ive made sausages from my own pigs before but never from beef :D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

Try the Italian ones in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54774832
    Let me know if you have trouble getting them, I could always send a pack to you!

Love the Italian ones alright... Got them recently in the English market in Cork, both the sweet and the spiced ones.Might give the recipe a shot and see how it goes!

nihicib2 wrote: »
    would anyone have a recipe for beef sausages, I keep a few Dexter cows and have slaughtered one recently so he's in the freezer. Id love to make some sausages from the beef but wouldn't be sure about making them. Ive made sausages from my own pigs before but never from beef :D
    Beef needs to be mixed with fatty pork, on its own it is very dry in a sausage.
    I think the best beef/pork mix is 2/3 Beef to 1/3 Fatty pork.
    Personally I like the South African Boerwors as a Beef/pork sausage but there are others.
    Traditionally these are made in one big spiral like a Cumberland sausage
    http://mrsbutterfingers.com/?p=876

Asked in my local Supervalu and drew a blank even with the supplier name, can I ask which store you get yours in as the manager said he'd give them a call

Andip wrote: »
    Asked in my local Supervalu and drew a blank even with the supplier name, can I ask which store you get yours in as the manager said he'd give them a call
    Sorry, I didn't see this till now. Murphys Castletownbere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

nihicib2 wrote: »

Mince some of the beef, and experiment with herbs/spices

Thyme/onion/garlic are the obvious ones.
    mix a few spoonfuls up and fry the mix to check for taste.
    Include some fat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I make my own sweet Italian sausage out of necessity as it is near impossible to find in Ireland and it turns out great. I also find that sausage here is too finely minced/ground so when doing at home you can make a more coarse which is a lot nicer IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I make my own sweet Italian sausage out of necessity as it is near impossible to find in Ireland and it turns out great. I also find that sausage here is too finely minced/ground so when doing at home you can make a more coarse which is a lot nicer IMO.

Any recipe for that please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Triboro wrote: »
    Any recipe for that please?

This is the recipe I have followed dozens of times for Sweet Italian Sausage.

While I have not this one stuffed it yet, I use it generally with Pasta or in homemade burgers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Does anyone know where to pick up salt petre/curing salt in Dublin?

I've been wanting to make some more cured sausages, but haven't had much luck getting that pretty essential ingredient!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Does anyone know where to pick up salt petre/curing salt in Dublin?

I've been wanting to make some more cured sausages, but haven't had much luck getting that pretty essential ingredient!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

MaceFace wrote: »
    This is the recipe I have followed dozens of times for Sweet Italian Sausage.

While I have not this one stuffed it yet, I use it generally with Pasta or in homemade burgers.

This is the identical recipe I use and I think I found it here on boards. The amount of fennel however on it is wrong as 3/4 teaspoon is nowhere near enough. You need at least 2-3 teaspoons of fennel seeds but will depend on how new they are as their flavour degrades quickly in your cupboard.

great recipe and as MaceFace says works great on pizza although we mostly use in a tomato sauce with pasta.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Just discovered this thread today & thought I would share a goldmine of information I discovered :)

Be warned though, I ended up addicted & spent hours watching this !

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheScottReaproject

I bought natural hog casings vacuum packed in a brine solution from amazon.uk & same place had other bits n bobs for sausage making.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I45TVOY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

I have made a fresh chorizo sausage which was tasty & this thread has reminded me to get back to exploring this.

Hope these links help.

Advertisement