Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the final nail in the coffin for many CFT clubs?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

megafan wrote: »
    The PADI qualification has been pushed as an example but that's a test which only has to be done once (as CFT test was)

You continue to get the facts wrong and speak as if you are knowledgeable. Until you admit that cft always had an annual fitness test as I and others have pointed out your argument is pointless and the rest of your claims questionable.

Feel free to meet me in athlone. I would like to know what club you are from and hear directly from your members that are aggrieved by the timed rule change. Pm your club name if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

yankinlk wrote: »
    The ONLY change this year is in BOLD.
    Pool Excercies: 1 .Snorkel or swim 200m without stopping within a 10 minutes time frame. (Without fins)
    !

yankink..... What facts have I got wrong? The yearly pool test used to consist of 200m pool swim with fins (with no time limit), above your quote... test has now become a 200m swim without fins & a 10 min time limit.... for poor swimmers a major change... who & why changed test... & why not put changes to all in Athlone for discussion before introduction???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

I'm of the opinion that you should be well able to do this.
    As a good dive buddy this may be the difference between life and death in the event something goes wrong.

Swimming is a completely different exercise to finning & up to now there has been no issue but now that annual test has changed some who were experienced able club divers for years now are not.... Diving for most in CFT is a recreational pastime & as long as people dive within their limitations (which an experienced qualified diver would do) healthy & fit good luck to them…. Hopefully link to BSAC incident report below works correctly (always a good informative read!) & along with CFT’s report it should give a real idea where problems arise…. Poor dive planning, poorly maintained club equipment & buoyancy control are main issues ….

http://www.bsac.com/page.asp?section=4558&sectionTitle=Annual+Diving+Incident+Report

Swimming is a completely different exercise to finning & up to now there has been no issue but now that annual test has changed some who were experienced able club divers for years now are not.... Diving for most in CFT is a recreational pastime & as long as people dive within their limitations (which an experienced qualified diver would do) healthy & fit good luck to them…. Hopefully link to BSAC incident report below works correctly (always a good informative read!) along with CFT’s report it should give a real idea where problems arise…. Poor dive planning, poorly maintained club equipment & buoyancy control are main issues ….

http://www.bsac.com/page.asp?section=4558&sectionTitle=Annual+Diving+Incident+Report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

The reason you do out of air scenarios is that sometimes **** happens and you run out of air. Mask replacement in case your mask gets kicked off and I always thought it should be compulsory to have a spare in your bcd pocket so you didn't have to retrieve it or wait for a buddy. The reason you should be competent without fins ie. a swimmer is that although the scenarios are unlikely you should be able to manage if your fin (s) fall off, strap breaks, fall off the boat before kitted up etc. Surely it's better off to have redundancy after redundancy after redundancy.

Of course Freedive you cannot over estimate safety but the biggest safety device a diver has is between their ears… but appears the macho knucklehead diver is alive & well…. & I dunno what test you can have for common sense? … you as a fully qualified diver know your limits & would dive within them… being relaxed & confident in the water is all important so when problems arise (as they can do) the best option can quickly decide & if heading to the surface is your only option it needs to be a controlled accent where a cool head is needed rather than brawn..
    I posted a link in earlier post to the BSAC incident report (& it appears to work.. result!) in the summary you might note they’ve decided dive medicals are even a waste of time? An honest reporting on declaration form more important! & in report another highlight is they’ve noted 26% of divers diving in threes end up in separation, no reason to think any different here (maybe other more important thing to consider?)..

I include link again worth a read… http://www.bsac.com/page.asp?section=4558&sectionTitle=Annual+Diving+Incident+Report

Advertisement