Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir can't tell me who supplies a phone line

Options
  • 08-01-2016 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short, we have a phone line in our office that works and I can make calls on it. We don't use it, we don't get any bills for it, but it's live. 
    We have another Internet provider and use VoIP for all our calls, but I want to use this landline to get eFibre because our current Internet provision is awful. The online line checker tells us we can get eFibre on it.

I called eir sales who confirmed that it's live and ready for eFibre, but told me that when they put the number into their checker, all they see is "Eircom WSL", which means it's with another provider and they can't touch it. I called 19800 which tells me that the phone service is provided by eircom.

When I told this to the sales guy (who to be fair was perfectly nice), he said his hands were tied and I would have to go off and try find out who provides the service. But we don't get any bills for this line, and 19800 tells me it's eircom, which leaves me out of avenues to explore.

So something is gone screwy here.

The only thing I can think is that it's on someone else's account. We rent part of a building from a much larger company who own the whole building and have a number of locations in Ireland. So perhaps they have some weird wholesale agreement with eircom for all of their communications and this line is a part of that. But even so, I would think that a sales guy should be able to see that.

Ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Eircom is the first port of call regardless as they are the only ones that actually supply landlines. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

seamus wrote: »
    Long story short, we have a phone line in our office that works and I can make calls on it. We don't use it, we don't get any bills for it, but it's live. 
    We have another Internet provider and use VoIP for all our calls, but I want to use this landline to get eFibre because our current Internet provision is awful. The online line checker tells us we can get eFibre on it.

I called eir sales who confirmed that it's live and ready for eFibre, but told me that when they put the number into their checker, all they see is "Eircom WSL", which means it's with another provider and they can't touch it. I called 19800 which tells me that the phone service is provided by eircom.

When I told this to the sales guy (who to be fair was perfectly nice), he said his hands were tied and I would have to go off and try find out who provides the service. But we don't get any bills for this line, and 19800 tells me it's eircom, which leaves me out of avenues to explore.

So something is gone screwy here.

The only thing I can think is that it's on someone else's account. We rent part of a building from a much larger company who own the whole building and have a number of locations in Ireland. So perhaps they have some weird wholesale agreement with eircom for all of their communications and this line is a part of that. But even so, I would think that a sales guy should be able to see that.

Ideas?
    Hi seamus

That sounds odd, could you please PM me the number of the line and I'll look in to this?

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Of course when one actually asks for help, the solution appears!

I did some digging in former colleagues' email boxes and found that the lines were originally put in by O2, so obviously now under the control of Three.

Possibly some weird disconnect in the system when the changeover happened that it's now defaulting to read "eircom" on 19800 because it can't find the provider.

Thanks for the quick response anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

seamus wrote: »
    Of course when one actually asks for help, the solution appears!

I did some digging in former colleagues' email boxes and found that the lines were originally put in by O2, so obviously now under the control of Three.

Possibly some weird disconnect in the system when the changeover happened that it's now defaulting to read "eircom" on 19800 because it can't find the provider.

Thanks for the quick response anyway!
    No worries seamus

Best of luck with it :)

Al

Advertisement