Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XBox Consumer rights thread

• 04-01-2016 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Had to replace Xbox one controller last August had gotten it off littlewoods it was about 10 months old they replaced it no problem just had to send it back and they sent new one out. Today few of the buttons have stopped working and for a while it didn't seem stuck together properly. What are my options will they be obliged to give new replacement?

MOD EDIT: I thought I should provide a link to some relevant EU/Ireland legal protections. The EU provide a 2 year warranty on electronic products, and Ireland extend that out to a massive 6 year warranty. If your Xbox or your controller stops working you can try quoting this page here.

CIAB

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Had to replace Xbox one controller last August had gotten it off littlewoods it was about 10 months old they replaced it no problem just had to send it back and they sent new one out. Today few of the buttons have stopped working and for a while it didn't seem stuck together properly. What are my options will they be obliged to give new replacement?

Yes, replacement, refund or repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Yes, replacement, refund or repair.

Not in that order though.

The shop has the choice of which route to take

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Meanaspie

No it doesn't the consumer has the right to choose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,316 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Meanaspie wrote: »
    No it doesn't the consumer has the right to choose

No your wrong there. The shop has the choice.

And repair is usually the first when it comes to expensive items like laptops etc. Even if the item breaks down again after the initial repair they can opt to repair again.

If the second repair fails then the retailer can offer a replacement or refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Meanaspie

emmetkenny wrote: »

And repair is usually the first when it comes to expensive items like laptops etc. Even if the item breaks down again after the initial repair they can opt to repair again.

If the second repair fails then the retailer can offer a replacement or refund.

Per http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods
    What are your consumer rights?

The solution to the problem can depend on a number of things
    Have you examined the item and are happy that it is what you agreed to buy?

Have you ‘accepted’ the item?
    Did you agree that the product is what you want and have used it without any issues for a period of time?
    Is the problem with the item major or minor?
    If you bought an item that has a fault, either major or minor, you have different rights depending on different things. Your contract is with the retailer or supplier who sold you the product so if there is a fault, it is up to them to fix it. In all cases you should act quickly. We have given a few examples below of the most common problems callers to the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission have.

Reject item - Full refund

If you agreed to buy something and it simply does not work from the outset, then you are entitled to reject the goods and get a refund from the seller. Examples include a new washing machine which fills with water but does not spin or drain, or a new TV set which the audio doesn’t work on. In both of these examples, the consumer has discovered a major problem/fault with the item as soon as they go to use it for the first time. In the shop they agreed to buy it, but clearly there is something wrong with the one they were given. The consumer has not “accepted” the item – they brought the item home but it does not do what it said it would and the consumer had the right to reject it. They can return it to the shop and demand a full refund. This will terminate the contract they had for the item with the seller.

Repair

If you start using the item for some time then it is deemed that you have accepted the item. But if you discover a fault then you are entitled to have the item repaired or replaced free of charge – provided you did not cause the damage. If the fault occurs within the first 6 months of owning the item, it is accepted that the fault was there when you bought it. In general, the seller can offer to repair the item first. This should be a permanent repair and the problem should not reoccur. If the same fault occurs again, then you should be entitled to a replacement or refund. If you are not happy with the retailer’s offer to repair the item, you can say no - but if you do this, you may have to use the Small Claims process if you want to take the matter further.

Remember, the retailer may charge you for the repair if you have been responsible for the damage to the product.

Replacement

If it is impossible to repair the item, or if it is more convenient than repairing it, then the seller may replace it for you. For example, if you bought a laptop and it overheated, causing significant damage to itself, it may be very difficult or even impossible for the seller to have the laptop fixed for you, so they may offer to replace it instead. If you opt for a replacement, it should be the same as the item you bought, or of similar quality and price. You should not have to pay extra for a replacement and should be given the difference in price if the replacement costs less than the item you originally bought.

Yes in general the shop offers a repair, but this is not what the actual law is, just because it's generally accepted as the rule of thumb.

I don't really want to get into a drawn put argument about it or derail this thread and I'm sure terryduff12 will most likely be happy with a replacement, and as he got the controller <6 months ago he's entitled to one, but I just wish people were more aware of their rights...

How on earth have you managed to break two controllers so quickly though :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Meanaspie wrote: »
    Per http://www.consumerhelp.ie/faulty-goods

Yes in general the shop offers a repair, but this is not what the actual law is, just because it's generally accepted as the rule of thumb.

The only time you can demand a full refund is if it NEVER worked from day of purchase. It's in the piece you quoted:
    If you agreed to buy something and it simply does not work from the outset, then you are entitled to reject the goods and get a refund from the seller. Examples include a new washing machine which fills with water but does not spin or drain, or a new TV set which the audio doesn’t work on. In both of these examples, the consumer has discovered a major problem/fault with the item as soon as they go to use it for the first time. In the shop they agreed to buy it, but clearly there is something wrong with the one they were given

If he's been using it for 6 months it's not the same.
    If you start using the item for some time then it is deemed that you have accepted the item.

One it is "accepted" it's down to the retailer what they offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Microsoft offer a 2 year warranty on controllers, I recently replaced both of mine. Just ring Irish support and they'll send you a prepaid UPS label, you then just schedule a collection yourself online. It wasn't the easiest process but I got the brand new controllers within the week and the rep kept following up with me which was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Microsoft offer a 2 year warranty on controllers, I recently replaced both of mine. Just ring Irish support and they'll send you a prepaid UPS label, you then just schedule a collection yourself online. It wasn't the easiest process but I got the brand new controllers within the week and the rep kept following up with me which was great.
    even if you buy it in a shop or online retail site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Really? I know there's that 5 year European law thing but customer support recently only told me it's 1 year on my elite controller the bastads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

even if you buy it in a shop or online retail site?

I bought both the console bundle and the second controller in Argos but I couldn't find receipts, just rang and gave my details over the phone. I bought my console in early Jan 2015 and was told my warranty didn't expire till Feb 2017, and that that also applied to the seperately bought controller. Register your items on the site and you can usually see when stuff expires.

On a side note, before I rang the Irish helpline I tried online chat, and they were utterly useless. The guy at the other end though Ireland only offered a 90 day warranty on accessories (that's what Americans get) and suggested my only option was to ship it to Texas for repair at my expense.

• Advertisement

I bought both the console bundle and the second controller in Argos but I couldn't find receipts, just rang and gave my details over the phone. I bought my console in early Jan 2015 and was told my warranty didn't expire till Feb 2017, and that that also applied to the seperately bought controller. Register your items on the site and you can usually see when stuff expires.

On a side note, before I rang the Irish helpline I tried online chat, and they were utterly useless. The guy at the other end though Ireland only offered a 90 day warranty on accessories (that's what Americans get) and suggested my only option was to ship it to Texas for repair at my expense.

That was my experience too, handy and all as the chat is, a phone call to Irish support is the best option in every case.

emmetkenny wrote: »

Nope, this isnt the thread for it but this is not fully correct.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Really? I know there's that 5 year European law thing but customer support recently only told me it's 1 year on my elite controller the bastads

A warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. If your elite controller develops a fault after 1 year and 1 day you still have plenty of rights.

A lot of retailers will ****e on about warranties and them being out of date but that does not in any way excuse their obligation to customers. A 150 euro controller, for example, would have an expected life well in excess of 1 year and assuming you didnt abuse it you are well within your rights to get a repair/replacement/refund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

Which 5 year European law thing are you referring to?
    AFAIK, it's two years, and it should cover any purchases from EU-based sellers. Details here. Whoever told you it's only 1 year should be pointed to the law: Your two-year legal guarantee cannot be shortened by a commercial guarantee.

JoyPad wrote: »
    Which 5 year European law thing are you referring to?
    AFAIK, it's two years, and it should cover any purchases from EU-based sellers. Details here. Whoever told you it's only 1 year should be pointed to the law: Your two-year legal guarantee cannot be shortened by a commercial guarantee.

Ireland has even better laws than the EU requires as a minimum and states the period should be "reasonable". I.e an expensive, quality product should reasonably be expected to last longer than a cheap product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Across the European Union the minimum timeframe of protection afforded by your statutory rights is 2 years. In Ireland as the statute of limitations is 6 years it means you have the right to take a complaint against the retailer to the small claims court for example, within 6 years of purchase. Your consumer rights do diminish with time so that must be taken into account. In addition you have to take into account the expected life span of the product in question. Also, you do not have these rights if you damage or break something yourself.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/theafternoonshow/2010/0330/warrantiesandguarantees894.html

Advertisement