Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nowhere to go.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Here's the deal. Not any jobs going in case you didn't notice. Don't really have money lying around to just buy a car.

Did you miss the mod note earlier in the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭makeandcreate

Hi, sorry to hear you are in this situation. On a practical level, if you reach a situation were you need to store your furniture etc I maybe able to help with storage in Kildare - PM if needed.
    I do think it is time you re evaluated your priorities - when I left my ex in order to provide a home for my children had to live 2 miles outside town, there was no buses etc, not even a footpath along the first mile of the road. I did not drive, had 2 kids in a buggy and a dog. I walked that road mostly daily to get shopping etc and weekly the supermarket would drop off my main shop, briquettes, potatoes etc while I walked home.
    I would also walk the woodland on the winter and collect enough sticks to light the fire and keep it going for a couple of hours. I put 20 euro a week into the credit union first priority every week and after 9 months got a loan for driving lessons and eventually a little opel corsa.
    Then like you, I was in a position where I had to move due to LL sale but ended up moving 180 km to an area where I could afford rent (don't get RA), I don't really like the area but it is what I had to do to keep a roof over our heads.
    It has taken 4 years to get to where I am now looking to choose where I want to live but still the price is a big dictate in my choice.
    You have to be responsible and do everything you need to - ring every property you can afford no matter where the location, even if it says no RA, ring and ask, get a LL reference and his contact number - get potential LL s to call them. Call estate agents, letting agents etc, a lot of property never even gets listed but they are the guys who know when people are moving.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hi, sorry to hear you are in this situation. On a practical level, if you reach a situation were you need to store your furniture etc I maybe able to help with storage in Kildare - PM if needed.
    I do think it is time you re evaluated your priorities - when I left my ex in order to provide a home for my children had to live 2 miles outside town, there was no buses etc, not even a footpath along the first mile of the road. I did not drive, had 2 kids in a buggy and a dog. I walked that road mostly daily to get shopping etc and weekly the supermarket would drop off my main shop, briquettes, potatoes etc while I walked home.
    I would also walk the woodland on the winter and collect enough sticks to light the fire and keep it going for a couple of hours. I put 20 euro a week into the credit union first priority every week and after 9 months got a loan for driving lessons and eventually a little opel corsa.
    Then like you, I was in a position where I had to move due to LL sale but ended up moving 180 km to an area where I could afford rent (don't get RA), I don't really like the area but it is what I had to do to keep a roof over our heads.
    It has taken 4 years to get to where I am now looking to choose where I want to live but still the price is a big dictate in my choice.
    You have to be responsible and do everything you need to - ring every property you can afford no matter where the location, even if it says no RA, ring and ask, get a LL reference and his contact number - get potential LL s to call them. Call estate agents, letting agents etc, a lot of property never even gets listed but they are the guys who know when people are moving.
    Good luck.

This post should be highlighted. This is what the OP needs to be doing. Its great to read where someone that has common sense and uses it to get out of a difficult situation. It must be remembered that for working folk the same applies, you can't always afford where you would ideally like to live and you compromise.... again congrads poster on doing what needed to be done for you family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Good luck.

This is what you do when you are a responsible adult mature parent of children.
    Well done and good luck to you and I hope the next few years are a bit easier for you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

There,s no point in ringing up a house for rent over the ra limit for the county you live in.
    rents are going up in most area,s .
    crosscare and focus give out a list daily ,houses for rent that take ra.
    90 per cent plus of landlords do not take ra clients .
    IF someone puts on ad ,would suit professionals,
    no ra,
    etc its a waste of time to ring them up.
    The chances of a single mother being able to pay all the rent for a 2bed house out of their own income is very small,
    good luck to her,
    she said that she cannot get ra , she must be working or have some other income.

• Advertisement

riclad wrote: »
    There,s no point in ringing up a house for rent over the ra limit for the county you live in.
    rents are going up in most area,s .
    crosscare and focus give out a list daily ,houses for rent that take ra.
    90 per cent plus of landlords do not take ra clients .
    IF someone puts on ad ,would suit professionals,
    no ra,
    etc its a waste of time to ring them up.
    The chances of a single mother being able to pay all the rent for a 2bed house out of their own income is very small,
    good luck to her,
    she said that she cannot get ra , she must be working or have some other income.
    It was me not the OP that did not get RA but I was no better as a potential tenant than someone on RA - I get 75 euro a week maintenance so this plus my own contribution was how I paid my rent. At the beginning my only other income was one parent family payment and family allowance. I made cards, baby gifts etc and sold them locally which kept me going, yes we had days when we had duvet days as it was so cold but it wasn't unbearable - my rent was 400 a month for a small 2 bed semi out of town, I had to really work at getting the landlord,(asked around found out who he was, plucked up the courage and basically turned up at his door) to give me a shot as he had bad previous experience with social welfare tenants but he did. My last landlady took on a RAS after I moved out even though her ads said she wouldn't.
    If neither are working they should be putting in hours and hours, trying to get on local radio, constantly checking, finding empty houses, ask the neighbours what the story with it is, there are houses and apartments in Kilkenny, Laois, Tipp, Offaly that are under RA allowances for 2 adults and one child and while it is hard, you need to get out there and do it.
    The pressure and stress they must be under is huge and if it were me I would move to Timbuctoo to alleviate that, due to family issues I left home at 16 and being homeless is one thing that has always terrified me.
    After moving, I met my now partner and we bought a derelict house for 25k, got 2 credit union loans to rewire, plumb and insulate it and have slowly done it up.
    Best of luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

My advise is to broker a deal with the landlord to extend your stay. If that's not possible you're looking at emergency accommodation. That's the reality of it.

Once that is done one or of both of you need to get a Job, Any Job, and save solely with the purpose of gathering a deposit and rent. Best scarioio is one of you look for daytime work and the other evening or night work so you can avoid childminding fees

Then start looking for a place as private tenants that fit your present possible earnings.

My sister, who is a single parent, had to do exactly this when here rental accommodation was put up for sale, minus her overstaying, when she realised no-one was taking RA Anywhere she adapted as he had no choice. Even as a private tenant landlords had absolutely no interest in renting to a single mother. She also ended up moving from a Dublin suburb to a small cottage in wicklow, Her daughter had to move schools again but now shes employed, Her daughter loves her new school and everything is ok.

Lastly, when you get this all resolved, learn to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

Good luck.

This is a good helpful post with practical advice. One of the only ones on this thread. Many other contributors seem to be enjoying to role of giving out and talking down to the OP a bit too much. Christ a lot of high horses around here and self righteousness. When did we get to the stage where families facing difficulties during the housing crisis were so openly sneered at? Anyway good post makeandcreate!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

A lot of high horses indeed. You'd swear I said I only want to live in a luxurious 5 bed house or something. I'm looking or anything to rent. Anywhere. I never said I'm looking for a place ONLY in town centre. I'm willing to walk a few miles in and out if town. I'm willing to rent anywhere that I'm lucky enough to get. Whether it's a 1 bed apt with no garden or a small house with a bedroom for my child.

To the person who got herself back on her feet by walking into town and collecting sticks to burn etc I can say fair play to you, you made me feel like there is a bit of hope.

To the person with the little passive aggressive comments you look ridiculous and a right one to be talking about common sense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

A lot of high horses indeed. You'd swear I said I only want to live in a luxurious 5 bed house or something. I'm looking or anything to rent. Anywhere. I never said I'm looking for a place ONLY in town centre. I'm willing to walk a few miles in and out if town. I'm willing to rent anywhere that I'm lucky enough to get. Whether it's a 1 bed apt with no garden or a small house with a bedroom for my child.

To the person who got herself back on her feet by walking into town and collecting sticks to burn etc I can say fair play to you, you made me feel like there is a bit of hope.

To the person with the little passive aggressive comments you look ridiculous and a right one to be talking about coming sense.

There are few if any properties available to you in the whole of carlow you need to look further afield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭MileyReilly

That's what I am doing thanks so much for the great advice

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

To the person with the little passive aggressive comments you look ridiculous and a right one to be talking about common sense.

The best of luck MileyReilly.
    I am afraid I have no tips for you but I just very much hope you and your family find somewhere suitable soon that doesn't require taking kids out of their school or emergency accommodation. There is indeed a severe shortage out there and I wish you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have you tried Netwatch for work? They seem to be growing at a phenomenal rate and pride themselves on being a big employer in Carlow town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

What about going to your partners family in Portugal? Could they help?

Would your partner find it easier to get work over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I am afraid I have no tips for you but I just very much hope you and your family find somewhere suitable soon that doesn't require taking kids out of their school or emergency accommodation. There is indeed a severe shortage out there and I wish you well.

His kid is three. Change of schools now isn't an issue.

Available of schools in the area that he moves to is. But luckily most small areas have schools that are desperate for more students rather than a shortage of places.

However I do think that availability of jobs for either MileyReillyor Mrs MileyReilly is likely to be more important: the best way to get around "RA not accepted" is to not need RA.

What about going to your partners family in Portugal? Could they help?

Would your partner find it easier to get work over there?

Portugal is fecked and has one of the lowest if the not the lowest average salary in the EU (less than half of Ireland's) so I'd imagine its not a good place to be looking for work or looking for the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Portugal is fecked and has one of the lowest if the not the lowest average salary in the EU (less than half of Ireland's) so I'd imagine its not a good place to be looking for work or looking for the dole.

Portugal is in recovery with growth and the unemployment numbers coming down, it's not Greece!

And of course the weather isn't bad...

Portugal is in recovery with growth and the unemployment numbers coming down, it's not Greece!

And of course the weather isn't bad...

The average salary net salary is just over 1k per month...... not the sort of thing you want to be aiming for and as I said if you aren't working I'd imagine state benefits are non-existent. Hot weather is over rated, see how you can sleep at night if you cant afford aircon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Safran

I am sorry if this sounds offensive, but I cannot believe someone cannot find any job.
    I havr been recently asked to help to find a job for a polish guy who came to Ireland as he was promised a job and when he arrived there was no job waiting for him. He had no qualifications, no driving licence, no 3rd level education and his english was so-so. He had a full time job within 2 weeks, even though he had no pps.
    In co. Carlow I have heard you can always get a job in warehouses somewhere near baganelstwon (?). Even if you do not have a car I am sure there are plenty of people who would share a lift.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Posters are asked to stay on topic. The weather in Portugal and social welfare questions all have appropriate fora.

• Advertisement

Under the ra rules someone with 1 child ,can only rent a 2 or 3 bed flat or a house.
    i think for the pupose of ra applications a child must have 1 bedroom for its own use.
    And the parent would have the other bedroom.
    There is a shortage of ra accommodation for rent.
    but its still easier to find in rural area,s than in dublin,
    as rents are still rising.
    rents in rural area,s are generally lower than dublin .
    You can get help,or advice from crosscare or threshold .
    http://www.threshold.ie/
    eg i know landlords that take ra tenants for apartments.they are
    not in carlow.
    It,s very hard to find any apartments for rents in dublin that take ra clients .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As the title says we have nowhere to go. In 23 days the notice to leave our rented house will be up and we have nowhere to go.

We've rented the same house for just over 6 years with rent allowance. My partner and our 3 year old child. Landlord is selling the house and generously gave us 6 months notice, we were always on good terms. For the whole 6 months we've looked for a place and have found nothing that we can afford. Nowhere will accept rent allowance. Been to all councillors and am on waiting list for RAS scheme but the council can't help they just tell me that there's simply no houses available. Council have advised me to find houses for rent and ask landlords to put their house on RAS but nobody seems to wants to put their house RAS.

23 days left here and when that's up I don't know what we will do. My partner is Portuguese and has no family here who could help and my own parents house is full with no spare rooms. We have fridge, freezer, wardrobes etc etc to move with nowhere to even store them.

There are places to rent here in town that you'd need to wipe your feet on the way out and even they're out of our price range and even if I had to move there they won't accept rent allowance.

In Carlow Town if anyone by some miracle knows of anywhere to rent or any ideas I'd be more than grateful

relocating further away is a hard thought but sometimes the only way forward. 7 years ago I moved from Donegal down first to West Cork, then here to Kerry. I did it all by email as I am limited physically then drove down with a man with a van, two dogs and two cats in the car. And I am a pensioner. You need to blanket bomb agents with your needs and time agenda. Often agents will have properties that for some reason are not listed and also get in touch with community organisations in areas that might suit. Sometimes they know of houses not listed. When I came to Cork I was on RA and when the CWO asked why I had moved Is imply said personal reasons and they asked no more. But I am a pensioner so maybe easier on me? But get the email enquiries out. Just doing that will help you feel better. I thought it was a terrible task but got here. NB this house was not with an agent but advertised in a local newsletter that was online. Good luck! I have never regretted my far relocation.

If you do end up needing to relocate, can help to bring you, your family and belongings to a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

http://touch.daft.ie/cavan/houses-for-rent/ballyconnell/no-4-bothar-glas-ballyconnell-co-cavan-ballyconnell-cavan-1612602/

Walking distance to town centre. Quinn expanding at the moment, so job prospects. Also there are several packaging and insulation manufacturing companies within walking distance.

Edit, this isn't my house, just an example of prices in Cavan etc. Towns with an I.T. will obviously have a scarcity of houses. You can't have several thousand students in a town and expect lots of rental properties at lower rates.

Extra exit. Remember rent allowance rates for rural counties are a lot less than for Dublin Cork etc. Although Carlow MAY be the same as Leitrim/Cavan etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Just a few things:

Carlow town has had a good number of jobs boosts in the last few years, with Medical, IDA, Building, Finance places setting up. I know a few recruitment companies who cant get anyone to work in Carlow.

Secondly, As the jobs have increased so to has housing needs. No new houses have been built in Carlow in a while.

Carlow town is also a commuter town, so many people who have had to leave Dublin due to high rents have moved to places such as Carlow.

I notice in many small towns there is a larger number of people, both irish and non-nationals who have recently moved in due to the lower rents, this is having massive issues with any rental in any place.

As suggested before, it may not be ideal but look just outside Carlow, Places Like Stradbally, Abbeyleix, Tullow have higher rental properties available and might be more suited.

I do feel sorry for you OP, this is the situation many will find themselves in in the short time coming, we have too many people living here, and with the advent of Tech firms setting up in Dublin it is pushing many to rent outside there, and as such anyone who is on RA in a commuter town is feeling the pinch.

Go to threshold, crosscare , focuspoint for advice,
    90 per cent of landlords do not take ra ,or the rent is over the ra limit .
    high rents are pushing people to move outside dublin.
    so rents are rising in some rural area,s .
    www.threshold.ie

Advertisement