Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Sketch Comedies

• 08-01-2016 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

I've been watching "Impractical Jokers" lately, an American practical joke show, not quite a sketch show but it reminded me of some of the old sketch shows that I loved growing up like "Trigger Happy", "The Fast Show" and "Harry Enfield and Chums".

I loved most of the skits from Trigger Happy. I liked the street artist who would get someone sat down ready for a portrait and then just walk off leaving them sat there like an eegit or the two men dressed in animal costumes pretending to beat each other up while people just passed by. I especially loved the dramatic music that played in the background. My brother bought me that soundtrack for my birthday one year.

From The Fast Show, I always remember the painfully shy Lord Ralph Mayhew who was secretly in love with estate worker Ted. It was kind of sad but just funny because it was so dramatic. Also loved "Rowley Birkin" and his bizarre mumblings where you caught one or two sentences in between to give you an idea of his antics like "a rather striking mustache" or "i was quite flummoxed by an outrageous cat" always followed by "I'm afraid that I was very, very drunk" :)

From Harry Enfield, I loved "Lulu and Harry", "Wayne and Waynetta Slob", "Kevin and Perry" and "The Scousers".

What were your favourite sketch comedies and favourite charachters?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Sorry to bother you, sport, but I can't help but notice that I appear to be considerably richer than you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The Two Ronnies..

/thread. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

My favourite was Big Train, from the people who brought you Father Ted. Great writing, excellent cast

Not The Nine O'Clock News and Alas Smith and Jones also had some classic sketches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

Skid X wrote: »

Not The Nine O'Clock News and Alas Smith and Jones also had some classic

I remember my parents were watching "Not The Nine O'clock News" one evening and I hadn't seen it before. I came in half way through and they were doing a piece on "Backstreet dentists" kind of a joke about these dentists going around performing procedures on people in their car and hanging out on street corners. It was a play on prostitution. My parents let me believe that it was genuine :)

Another one I was thinking of was John Major and his peas in Spitting Image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Watching A bit of Fry and Laurie, really like Tony and Control!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Absolutely! Scottish sketches, starring Morwenna Banks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolutely_(sketch_show)

Sean Moncrieff used to show this on "The End" back in the 90s.
    Very silly especially Stoneybridge Town Council.

I bought the box set a few years ago. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sticking some petrol in the car often reminds of this.

Oh and Dave Allen!

Hale & Pace! - thought those two were halirious

Advertisement