Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

data ireland

Options
  • 08-01-2016 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Just got a letter from a crowd called "data ireland" (all in lower case), with the address 1st Floor, 19-24 St Andrew Street, Dublin 2, D02 C966.

They say they "lawfully obtained" my name and address from "a public register a number of years ago", and are asking do I wish to opt out of the "Irish Consumer Marketing Database".

Who are these people? Do they have any legal function or existence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Got one too. They're a marketing company owned by An Post and a member of the Irish Direct Marketing Association (trade association). It seems they own and/or maintain the Irish Consumer Marketing Database which is used by many direct marketing companies.
    http://www.dataireland.ie/Services/Pages/Consumer-Lists-Irish-Consumer-Marketing-Database

I haven't a clue how my name ended up on their db without my consent but I'll be sending off the form and getting it removed. I'll also be asking them to tell me how they obtained my details because I'm fastidious when it comes to ticking those opt outs.
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/guidance/unwanted_marketing_consumer_guide.htm&CatID=18&m=r
    There is also an obligation on an organisation that has not obtained your details directly from you to inform you of the original source of your details. This will enable you to contact the original organisation and object to it using or distributing your details for marketing purposes.

You can use checktheregister.ie to make check if you're on the edited list of electors which can be used for marketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Edited list of electors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Edited list of electors?

Any company can pay a fee to get the edited register to send you crap.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html

The Electoral Register and direct marketing

Local authorities publish two versions of the Register of Electors: the full register and the edited register.

The Full Register lists everyone who is entitled to vote. Once a Full Register has been published, it can only be used for an electoral or other statutory purpose.

The Edited Register contains the names and addresses of those voters who have indicated that their details can be used for other purposes (for example, for direct marketing use by a commercial company or other organisation).

If you do not want your details to be included in the Edited Register, you should tick the "opt out" box on the registration form. If you want your details to be included in the Edited Register, that is, you are happy that commercial companies and other organisations will contact you with direct marketing, you should leave the "opt out" box blank.

If you do not tick the "opt out" box, it is assumed that you want your details to be included in the Edited Register, if you do not wish your details to appear on the Edited Register tick the "opt out" box.

It is an offence for an organisation/commercial body to contact someone from the full electoral register for direct marketing purposes. This was set down in law under Section 32 of the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2001. Find out more about how to deal with unsolicited direct marketing material in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I doubt there was an opt-out box back in the Pleistocene when i filled out the form. How do you opt out later?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

I wonder what is motivating them to send out these letters....

Is it that they are just cleaning up their database or is there some data protection or other legal aspect that is compelling them to do so now?

On the face of it, returning the form would seem to benefit the recipient in that it is an opportunity to reduce their junk mail.
    But these letters do seem a bit odd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement