Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Me Some Sci-Fi ...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Zaph wrote: »
    Try Neuromancer by William Gibson, it might be more along the lines of what you're looking for.

or Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Remember really enjoying it and very much "current". (his earlier ones are good also if you like that one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

or Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. Remember really enjoying it and very much "current". (his earlier ones are good also if you like that one).

IMO his stuff has aged very badly, only read Snowcrash a couple of years ago and it read like very dated fanfiction. Just looked it up on goodreads and despite the 4 stats much of the reviews that actually write something are pretty negative.

Edit: I don't like Stephensons stuff in general though, read Bruce Sterling, Gibbson, Charles Stross or Richard Morgan (who I also don't like but do get his appeal) and you will explore the same types of material and characters but written by superior writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Going to support others suggestions of Iain M Banks Culture Series and Neal Stephenson's books.

Would also throw in the Eve novels. Some serious sci-fi world building, based around the popular MMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Going to support others suggestions of Iain M Banks Culture Series and Neal Stephenson's books.

Would also throw in the Eve novels. Some serious sci-fi world building, based around the popular MMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Amadicia

After reading the Dune prequels I read the Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J Anderson. Not hard sci-fi like a lot of stuff. Big sprawling space opera, I thought it was very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Of Time and Stars.
    by
    Arthur C Clarke.

Pure wonderful

Nate

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Evac101 wrote: »

For reasonably modern tech heavy sci-fi Iain M Banks is top notch and always enjoyable. For me, China Mieville is also among the best of the newer stuff I've read, particularly Perdito Street Station and The Scar, though Iron Council possibly less so. Just finished The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin and absolutely loved it, though like Mieville its love it or hate it stuff. From recommendations here I read the first three books of the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi, which for me were very enjoyable but not really in the same league as the other books mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Amadicia

A friend of mine recommended Perdido Street Station and I thought it was an absolute chore to get through. The ending was pretty good but it was a slog to get there, I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

Amadicia wrote: »
    A friend of mine recommended Perdido Street Station and I thought it was an absolute chore to get through. The ending was pretty good but it was a slog to get there, I found.

Ah I absolutely loved that book, was my first Mieville book. His settings are diverse but I always enjoy them. Especially Embassytown and The Scar. His style is very strange though I will say.

Advertisement