Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skywatcher explorer 200P opinions please

Options
  • 08-01-2016 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting into astronomy and only just unboxed a pair of binos and already thinking of a scope:D

I got some Celestron Skymaster 20x80's , 2 pairs actually, as I worried that the warehouse deal i got might have been returned for a reason ie collimation.
    Anyway I got another pair (new) which looking at the sky last night looked better. Hopefully tomorrows meet in wicklow will confirm my thoughts.

Anyways....I was looking at a Skywatcher Explorer 200P with EQ5 Mount for about €500 today from Jessops after reading some of the forums.
    I had looked at the Explorer 150 PL but it didnt have the upgradeabilty
    of the 200P.
    I know people are saying a Dobsonian is easier for a beginner but my biggest constraint is space and a Dob is big!

From my reading, the Explorer can be added to to make it motorised etc.
    I'd also like to do some astro photography which this seems ideal for.

Anyways, sorry for the ramble.

If anyone has any thoughts on this it would be appreciated.
    Unfortunately, there's nothing to be found 2nd hand online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Is this the one? http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/skywatcher/explorer-200p-telescope-eq5-mount-kit-89961/show.html

Working out at about €550, and out of stock at present . You'll probably find that Jessops won't ship to "Eire", so you'll have to use Parcel Motel etc.

Give K-Tech a call he might do you a deal he's based in Dublin. http://www.ktectelescopes.ie/Telescopes/Skywatcher-Telescopes/Skywatcher-Reflector-Telescopes/Skywatcher-Explorer-200P-EQ5.html

Could I suggest that you get the scope first and use it and then further down the road look at astrophotography. Please don't jump straight into it as it is a complete mine field for a beginner.

You will find that the Irish weather will become your nemesis. I haven't had an opportunity to get out anytime in the last three months, either due to work commitments or just plain old cloudy nights. So be prepared!

One final peice of advist be careful not to become a victim of GAS* as it can lead to all sorts of complications.

Whatever you do enjoy you time exploring the cosmos.

*Gadget Acquisition Syndrome :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Thanks to Stephen this evening I managed to decide on my kit. Even go my first look at the Orion Nebula

Skywatcher Explorer 130 Pds on a heq5 goto. Ive still to get them but its decision at least (for now) :)

Thanks to Stephen this evening I managed to decide on my kit.
    Usual rate of commission applies Stephen :D

• Company Representative Posts: 40 Verified rep Ktec: Stephen

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Usual rate of commission applies Stephen :D

LOl, Im only after putting 2+2 together on this one!

I showed Tatranska around all my gear last night!

Pat, you know i'll look after you :)

Stephen.

LOl, Im only after putting 2+2 together on this one!

I showed Tatranska around all my gear last night!

Pat, you know i'll look after you :)

Stephen.

He might let you look through his telescopes as well ;)

Thanks for your time last night Stephen. Be talking to you soon.

• Advertisement

He might let you look through his telescopes as well ;)

Thanks for your time last night Stephen. Be talking to you soon.

Welcome to this wonderfully mad obsession and have a ball.
    However be prepared, that now you have your new scope, the "Irish Weather Gods" will bestow cloudy nights upon us all for at least the next two weeks :D

Just a soon as there is a clear night I be breaking out my pride 'n joy.

Welcome to this wonderfully mad obsession and have a ball.
    However be prepared, that now you have your new scope, the "Irish Weather Gods" will bestow cloudy nights upon us all for at least the next two weeks :D

Just a soon as there is a clear night I be breaking out my pride 'n joy.

I'm drooling looking at your scope. Not got my kit yet but will have it soon. :)

I'm drooling looking at your scope. Not got my kit yet but will have it soon. :)

Yes, it was an exceptionally bad case of G.A.S :)

Maybe if Stephen is thinking of organising a meet up I'd be only to happy to bring it along.

Yes, it was an exceptionally bad case of G.A.S :)

Maybe if Stephen is thinking of organising a meet up I'd be only to happy to bring it along.

Its going to be raining for the next 6 months. :)
    I'll be bringing my binos with me to slovakia next months. being at 2500 feet plus will help though it currently -15 C!!

Advertisement