Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Flickering

Options
  • 08-01-2016 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

OK guys I've an annoying problem here for the past four days and I thought it would sort itself out but it hasn't.

Here is the problem my lights in every room are flickering like crazy not just the ceiling lights but plug in bedside lights as well. Now after some investigation I noticed whenever I turn on an appliance that uses lots of electricity like cooker or kettle the flickering stops and once I turn them off the flickering is back.

Would I be right or wrong in thinking that its a service problem from outside the house or a problem inside the house, I don't want to call the ESB out if its a problem inside the house I'm sure there is a call out charge.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sounds like a loose connection, which is potential fire hazard.
    The issue is most likely in the distribution board or further upstream.
    My advice would be to call an electrician ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

If it's effecting the lights and sockets I'd say it's either a loose connection on your main fuse on your board or a loose connection at the meter / cut out. Try this. When the lights are flickering go out to the meter box open it and listen you migh hear some cracking etc. if you can hear something turn off your main fuse on your board and ring the ESB immediately. Doesn't matter what time of the day or night they will come out free of charge if it's in the meter box. But don't ignore this any longer it's one of the most common causes of house fires

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Just had a guy out from the ESB, it was the main beside the meter but he just put a new fuse in and he will be back tomorrow as the fuse box needs to be replaced.

Advertisement