Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just made Chicken Stock.. thoughts and ideas please..!

Options
  • 08-01-2016 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I've just finished making Chicken stock and more by luck than good guidance its absolutely delicous..!

I was considering just drinking it it was that good.!

Any thoughts on my haphazard method greatly appreciated..!

I didn't do anything unusual, put the full roast chicken carcass into a big pot and filled it to the top with water. Lobbed in one large onion, 2 cloves of garlic, salt pepper and one little teabag thingy containing bay, thyme etc...
    To be honest I didn't hold out much hope for it considering I had no veg or anything else to put into it.

Anyway, I boiled it for about 5 hours on Wednesday evening. Knocked it off before I went to bed and didn't get a chance to do anything to it until this evening. So it had spent 40 odd hours sitting on the hob.!!
    Not sure if thats advisable but I figured feck it I'll finish it off.

Strained it all out and was I left with about 2.5/3 litres of stock.
    I put it on high head and reduced it to about 1 litre... and O boy is it yummy..

Anyway, I don't want to make soup out of it as its too tasty on its own to blend it with vegtables.
    I was thinking a nice chicken noodle soup, maybe a Thai effort..

Any suggestions appreciated.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks all...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I've made this with home made chicken stick before, with amazing results.

2010 Cooking Club Week 4: Spicy Thai Chicken Noodle Soup by Mr Magnolia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi OP,

Nothing like perfect stock.

I would defo keep a cup's worth and freeze it. Then the next time you roast a chicken:

Take out the chicken from the baking tray
    Put the tray on the hop and sprinkle in a TBS of flour - mix into the chicken juice & cook for a minute or two on the hob until the flour is cooked
    Pour in your (defrosted!) stock and scrape as much of the bits of chicken stuck to the tray as you can
    Cook for a few minutes then pass through a sieve (I do this to ensure no bits of flour / chicken remain) into a jug
    Then transfer to a pot and simmer on a low heat until nice & thick and you have a wonderful gravy - you'll never go back to Bistro again!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yeah, I nearly always make chicken noodle soup with my stock.

What I do for stock makings is keep a bag in the freezer and throw onion tops, carrot peelings etc in as I go, then throw them into the stock water whenever I get around to making it. I'd add a couple of whole peppercorns and replace the bouquet garni "teabag" with an actual bayleaf. I don't add any other herbs as they can make the stock a bit too "Provençale" if that makes sense, particularly for Asian-style clear soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Without wishing to derail the thread, could I ask a quick question?

How well does the chicken carcass have to be stripped to boil it up for stock? I would only occasionally cook a whole chicken, and always wind up just binning the carcass (while saying a prayer for forgiveness :o) because it looks like there's too much "stuff" still on the bones (I'm a bit of a fussy chicken eater! only getting around lately to even looking at anything other than breast meat).

Anyway - basically can I bung bones, stringy bits of meat, leftover bits of skin and all into the stockpot, or does it need to be stripped clean?

Cheers, and sorry again for butting in!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    How well does the chicken carcass have to be stripped to boil it up for stock? I would only occasionally cook a whole chicken, and always wind up just binning the carcass (while saying a prayer for forgiveness ) because it looks like there's too much "stuff" still on the bones (I'm a bit of a fussy chicken eater! only getting around lately to even looking at anything other than breast meat).

The more meat on the carcass, the more "chickeny" your stock will be. I would pull off the majority of the skin, though, it'll just put a layer of fat on the stock that you'll have to skim off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Thanks for the reply guys.
    I'm going to make the soup linked in one of the posts above and intend using the fat on top to fry off the onions etc..
    Thanks again..!

Advertisement