Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation weather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Supposed to be flying home Sat. If alot of flights are grounded today and tomorrow will this have a massive effect going forward?

I'd rather book in an extra day or two than be stuck living in a terminal with kids!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Yup you are entitled to a hotel and food (vouchers), they have a duty to inform you of this. Google EU261 directive.

Didn't get any vouchers? Was told to keep receipts for hotel and food and submit claim afterwards. Just went back to the same hotel we we're staying in and booked another 3 nights...I don't have to use a Ryanair approved hotel or anything?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

I just looked at the eu261/2004 and I don't think I'm covered. I'm flying with a non eu airline from a non eu country
    Now im seriously worried

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Just got my cancellation notice for tomorrows LGW-DUB Ryanair (evening ) so looking like they are shutting up shop there as well. (#trappedinlondon)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Pacifico wrote: »
    Didn't get any vouchers? Was told to keep receipts for hotel and food and submit claim afterwards. Just went back to the same hotel we we're staying in and booked another 3 nights...I don't have to use a Ryanair approved hotel or anything?!

They're normally in the form for vouchers, however it's also acceptable to send them the bill.

It can be any hotel within reason, don't expect them to pay for you being put up in a 5star hotel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

abff wrote: »
    I've tickets for the Spurs-Huddersfield game at Wembley on Saturday. I'm due to fly from Dublin to Luton on Friday afternoon. I know it's too early to say whether or not the flight will be cancelled, but I'm just wondering would I be better off checking in now or waiting until closer to the departure time.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is whether my options would be better or worse if I've already checked in. For example, if the flight is cancelled but there are seats available on the Friday evening flight or the early flight on Saturday, will these be allocated in the order in which people checked in for the cancelled flight?

I've just received an email from Ryanair giving me the option of changing my flight for free by up to 7 days (subject to availability of seats). My key priority is to make it to Wembley on Saturday afternoon and my best chance of achieving this MAY be to change to the early flight on Saturday (assuming seats are still available).

But I would prefer to be there on Friday night (we have accommodation arranged) and I would be grateful for any advice on what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

abff wrote: »
    I've just received an email from Ryanair giving me the option of changing my flight for free by up to 7 days (subject to availability of seats). My key priority is to make it to Wembley on Saturday afternoon and my best chance of achieving this MAY be to change to the early flight on Saturday (assuming seats are still available).

But I would prefer to be there on Friday night (we have accommodation arranged) and I would be grateful for any advice on what to do.

I'mm in similar boat, except it is Birmingham for the World Indoor Athletics Championships for me. Would changing my Aer Lingus booking for tomorrow to Saturday now be the best move?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Saturday forecast indicates rain. I've booked a flight from Dublin to Bristol for Saturday lunchtime seeing as chances of me getting to Edinburgh on Friday morning are nil to non existent.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Bussywussy wrote: »
    They should just announce a shutdown now save people the bother, i know a greedy airline that doesn't give a sh!t about their staff that won't make a decision

Looking at the EI website, as of 1800 they say they will cease operations at 3pm tomorrow. They must be gambling that they can get their flights out and back before then. What about the "be home by 4pm" Govt warning?
    Due to forecast severe weather tomorrow, Thursday 1st, March,we expect to operate the vast majority of Short Haul services departing in the morning. At this stage we are planning to operate all services to and from North America.

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/flight-disruption-information/

FR website has a info form for pax to check their flight. Notice at 1522 today stated al Dublin flights cancelled for rest of day. They say all pax on disrupted flights will get an email an SMS.
    As a result of adverse weather conditions this morning some flights were delayed in operating as the airports cleared the snow. We expect further delays and some cancellations through the day and we recommend customers check the status of their flight below before making their way to the airport.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/travel-updates

They say all pax on disrupted flights will get an email an SMS.
    Yes, I got both. So the word is getting out there.

• Advertisement

Still undecided what to do. I really, really don't want to miss the match on Saturday, so I think my best option is to switch to the Saturday morning (assuming seats still available). Opinions sought and very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Dublin snowtam from 2050. Runway contamination 4-5 mm of wet snow.
    SWEI0030 EIDW 02282050
    (SNOWTAM 0030
    A) EIDW
    B) 02282050 C) 10 F) 5/5/5 G) 05/05/04
    T) BRAKING ACTION IS NOT AVAILABLE. RUNWAY SURFACE CONDITIONS
    ASSESSED BY DEPTH READINGS AND PILOT REPORTS, (PIREPS). EXERCISE
    CAUTION. CONTAMINATION 100 PERCENT.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Tenger wrote: »
    Looking at the EI website, as of 1800 they say they will cease operations at 3pm tomorrow. They must be gambling that they can get their flights out and back before then. What about the "be home by 4pm" Govt warning?
    Due to forecast severe weather tomorrow, Thursday 1st, March,we expect to operate the vast majority of Short Haul services departing in the morning. At this stage we are planning to operate all services to and from North America.

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/flight-disruption-information/

FR website has a info form for pax to check their flight. Notice at 1522 today stated al Dublin flights cancelled for rest of day. They say all pax on disrupted flights will get an email an SMS.
    As a result of adverse weather conditions this morning some flights were delayed in operating as the airports cleared the snow. We expect further delays and some cancellations through the day and we recommend customers check the status of their flight below before making their way to the airport.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/travel-updates

we both know they don't care about any warnings $$$$$$$$$
    i'd say friday will be shut and any TA flight due to leave US thurs night wont....

I decided to change my flight to Saturday morning in order to maximise my chances of seeing the game. But when I click on the link in the email from Ryanair, it brings me through to my booking, but doesn't give me the option of changing it. I'd be extremely grateful for any suggestions as to where I go from here.

By the way, there's a link to a Ryanair help desk, but it's finished for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Is Luton and Stansted affected at all by the snow???? Don't hear much on cancellations from them. Or any UK airport for that matter.

I wonder will Ryanair just cancel its ireland operations on Thurs for anything after 4pm. With this red alert... putting 189 passengers out onto the road either To or a From an airport is really giving the fingers to the whole Red alert warnings.

Not to mention the airport staff who have to get home after handling the flights...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

Dublin Airport website says my flight from Southend to Dublin is cancelled but the Flybe website says that it is running as scheduled.

Passengers need to make plans for the night so it would be great if other airlines would follow Aer Lingus' lead and cancel flights to and from Dublin during the red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Dxb to dub cancelled

Hotel voucher and booked on to same flight tomorrow

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The US airlines deal with these conditions every winter. Their policy is usually strategic mass cancellations a day or two beforehand. This allows for easier recovery after the event as the aircraft and crews arent stranded in the wrong location.
    While EI have done so I feel they were quite late. I think it was 9pm last night? For passengers its better to have 12-18 hours notice. And this fallacy about sending their TA flights out? They prob wont get back in tomorrow morning. They were allowing free rebooking since Tuesday.

The European conditions must be making it nigh impossible for Ryanair. They have so many bases and routes affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Tenger wrote: »
    The European conditions must be making it nigh impossible for Ryanair. They have so many bases and routes affected.

On the plus side they're probably saving precious pilot duty hours :)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

While EI have done so I feel they were quite late. I think it was 9pm last night? For passengers its better to have 12-18 hours notice. And this fallacy about sending their TA flights out? They prob wont get back in tomorrow morning. They were allowing free rebooking since Tuesday.

This is an excellent point especially when you are forcing pax to go to the airport in potentially risky conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Looks like EI cancelling everything for tomorrow. Eastbound TA flights will stay in US for tonight. They have run the gauntlet and a number of aircraft are getting airborne across Europe hoping to beat the blizzard back into Dublin. RVR worsening and a bit of contamination building up at one end of the runway in Dublin so a few crews could find themselves stuck away till the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Still holding out some hope of getting to Amsterdam tomorrow night.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

basill wrote: »
    Looks like EI cancelling everything for tomorrow. Eastbound TA flights will stay in US for tonight. They have run the gauntlet and a number of aircraft are getting airborne across Europe hoping to beat the blizzard back into Dublin. RVR worsening and a bit of contamination building up at one end of the runway in Dublin so a few crews could find themselves stuck away till the weekend.

Ryanair will prob pull plug to soon...suprising they're stopping SNN tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

DUB closed completely tomorrow,reopens Saturday at 04.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

lord lucan wrote: »
    DUB closed completely tomorrow,reopens Saturday at 04.00.

Any decision on a closure this afternoon? Luxair still expect to send a flight due to land at 6.50pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Last I heard DUB is due to close at 15.00 today but that's not definite,they may still try to get remaining evening departures out,the ones that haven't been cancelled. luxair still showing as scheduled on FIDS.

DUB closed completely tomorrow,reopens Saturday at 04.00
    Is that the airlines or ATC closure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Confirmed on EI company intranet. All EI operations cancelled for tomorrow. No doubt message will get relayed to general public via usual sources shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Does anyone know what the taxi situation is like in DUB today? I have a family member in the air and due in around 14:30.

Also, if they are running now, will they be still running after 16:00 or are pax stranded there until after the snowpocalypse?
    I know taxis are self-employed, so their choice to go out or not but will the DAA facilitate them?

Advertisement