Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation weather thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Got my bag just as I clicked post. I'm of for a pint.

Anyone know the closest place to the airport I could buy a shovel? One with a good back

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Got my bag just as I clicked post. I'm of for a pint.

Anyone know the closest place to the airport I could buy a shovel? One with a good back

I’m assuming you need one to go digging for the maturity and common sense you seem to have lost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Aaaaand the bar is closed
    Huge cue for taxis and I've no jacket

Good night Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Aaaaand the bar is closed
    Huge cue for taxis and I've no jacket

Good night Dublin airport.

Night Hun xoxo

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

OK, enough is enough. It is clear that there were huge problems at the airport today as a result of the restart of services, cancellation of a significant number of flights, and different aircraft than were expected, if you expect a B737, and an A330 arrives, that's going to cause significant problems, as it probably won't fit the gate it was assigned to, and the handlers may not have enough equipment to be able to deal with it, even more so if the American flights are on the ground, as they use a lot of equipment.

The delays and cancellations, and other factors outlined above will not have helped, and I suspect that the handlers were short staffed, and also dealing with problems like ice on the apron and especially the baggage hall ramps due to them not being cleared, which (from experience a long time ago) is extremely dangerous.

The people at the sharp end are the last ones to blame for this, so let's move on and let the issue drop please, with no more nasty comments directed at people who work very hard for very little reward or thanks

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yeah you are lucky, poor things going to London a couple hours late... there are people who’ve been stranded for days, missed connections, weekends away, weddings, funerals and other family events, had to cancel holidays they’ve been looking forward to for months, but that all pales in comparison to you getting to London a few hours late....
    And what has that got to do with me you miserable mope.
    Noxegon wrote: »
    This weekend I was supposed to be at a major event in the Netherlands with a large group of friends from all over Europe. Most of them are there right now. I'm sitting at home feeling sorry for myself as my flight was cancelled and the next one I could get was Monday.

So yes, you are one of the lucky ones.
    Good for you. Dunno what has to do with me or my query.

Lads I asked for a bit of help, honest to god its not some competition on who has the hardest luck story. If ye can't help me on my query then do me a favour and don't reply.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yeah you are lucky, poor things going to London a couple hours late... there are people who’ve been stranded for days, missed connections, weekends away, weddings, funerals and other family events, had to cancel holidays they’ve been looking forward to for months, but that all pales in comparison to you getting to London a few hours late....
    And what has that got to do with me you miserable mope.
    Noxegon wrote: »
    This weekend I was supposed to be at a major event in the Netherlands with a large group of friends from all over Europe. Most of them are there right now. I'm sitting at home feeling sorry for myself as my flight was cancelled and the next one I could get was Monday.

So yes, you are one of the lucky ones.
    Good for you. Dunno what has to do with me or my query.

Lads I asked for a bit of help, honest to god its not some competition on who has the hardest luck story. If ye can't help me on my query then do me a favour and don't reply.
    Ughhh seriously... read back, I answered your whiny question hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

I'm lucky? How do you make that out? Gate was supposed to close at 8.10 so we've essentially been without the opportunity for food or drink for nearly 4 hours now. I suppose I'm lucky I'm not left starving like all the children in Africa either :rolleyes:
    And as said, a technical fault was initially the problem, we'd be in London an hour ago if it wasn't for that. Wouldn't be a big deal if they even offered us a chance to buy a sandwich.

Anyway, went up to the (lovely) air hostess and she kindly provided us with food. Looks like we're getting going now so hopefully anyone else in the same position as myself doesn't have a long wait. Nothing but parked planes to my left and right so it looks like there'll be a plenty of delays.

How selfish, delayed & hungry, god love ya!......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Not like there's any exceptional conditions lately :rolleyes:

I'm all about good service, and will point out faults where they are present when some others won't, however your outrage is completely OTT and infact rather strange. Have you some agenda or simply in a bad mood?

Probably has the holiday blues.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

The standard of posting in this thread has nosedived today, and most of the posts are unhelpful. If it doesn't improve, infractions or bans will follow. As I've already said, enough is enough.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

Credit where its due I came in on the evening 1900 FR LGW to Dub , flight was on time , left on time, landed on time , into gate, out of terminal in near record time

kudos to all to getting services back up and running in what must have been a chaotic day

Bad lack of taxis but that is not the fault of the airport and given the snow I can't really be surprised , I was still home sharp enough

well done all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

A lot of the taxi problem is not shortage of taxis but the crap low capacity system for loading taxis.

In other airports you’ll see multiple loading lanes for passengers to get their bags and themselves into taxis.

It’s basic queuing theory.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

EI got a flight to LGW out

A few Ryanair's have just arrived but nothing seems to have left. Quite a few EI A330's have also arrived
    The early EI departure didnt have pasengers. Flight number was 992, thats their empty positioning flight number.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tenger wrote: »
    The early EI departure didnt have pasengers. Flight number was 992, thats their empty positioning flight number.

Positioned to LGW to operate charter flight to Lyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Has anyone else put through a refund request to Aer Lingus or any other airline over the snow cancellations? I put one through on Saturday and didn’t get a confirmation email at all. How long do these refunds take to be processed?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

Wondering the sane thing, I applied for my refund last Thursday, haven’t heard anything since.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Has anyone else put through a refund request to Aer Lingus or any other airline over the snow cancellations? I put one through on Saturday and didn’t get a confirmation email at all. How long do these refunds take to be processed?

Two Ryanair refunds, got one within 3 hours of submitting form and one within an hour. Easyjet refunded me automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

I got my Ryanair refund yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Does anyone know if Emirates have a form or email for refunds due to cancellations

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Hi guys,

I appreciate this isn’t exactly an easy question to answer at the moment, but if the expected snow conditions are as expected on Sunday, what are my chances of getting out of Gatwick to Dublin on Sunday afternoon?

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Paully D wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I appreciate this isn’t exactly an easy question to answer at the moment, but if the expected snow conditions are as expected on Sunday, what are my chances of getting out of Gatwick to Dublin on Sunday afternoon?

Thank you.

Not a clue, and you won't really get an accurate answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

Anyone get a refund from Aer Lingus for the recent snow yet?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Not a clue, and you won't really get an accurate answer.

Thanks for your reply.

It could well be an all day/night session in Gatwick by the looks of it! :pac:

Paully D wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

It could well be an all day/night session in Gatwick by the looks of it! :pac:

Remains to be seen largely, and at that, showers are hit and miss, you could get 15cm or none!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm due back from Gatwick Sunday night but tbh, as long as I can get there tomorrow I'm truly not in a rush to get home ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

No problem at Dublin. Flights all getting out this morning, some on time, some with delays of up to 45 mins.

Snowtam from 0450Z. Runways clear and just damp (1/1/1). Braking action good (5/5/5). Runways and ramp sprayed with Potassium acetate (KAc).
    SWEI0044 EIDW 03180450
    (SNOWTAM 0044
    A) EIDW
    B) 03180450 C) 10 F) 1/1/1 G) XX/XX/XX H) 5/5/5
    B) 03180450 C) 16 F) 1/1/1 G) XX/XX/XX H) 5/5/5
    T) RUNWAY 10/28 AND 16/34 ANTI-ICED WITH KAC. RAMP ANTI-ICED WITH KAC
    )

No problem at Dublin. Flights all getting out this morning, some on time, some with delays of up to 45 mins.

Snowtam from 0450Z. Runways clear and just damp (1/1/1). Braking action good (5/5/5). Runways and ramp sprayed with Potassium acetate (KAc).

Runway closed now.

• Advertisement

I ended up on the FR121 this morning. Got out of Gatwick with no hassle but were diverted to Shannon mid-way through the flight as Dublin had closed their runway due to snow. Over an hour waiting in Shannon and landed back in Dublin at around 1pm.

I just wanted to mention the captain really, hence my post. Absolutely superb communication at every stage. He was excellent.

Advertisement