Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

portlaoise vs dublin, private vs public

Options
  • 09-01-2016 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all, were thinking of ttc but we had such an awful time the last time, it actually scares me the thought of birth. We were public in Portlaoise, the care I was given was good, but the actually delivery I'll never forget. We had a midwife who spent most of her time talking to her friends in the hall, and when my lo was born there was no crying, no movement and nobody told me anything. Just that all was ok and they worked away on lo.
    After a while I was given our lo and that was it, the midwife never to be seen again and I ended up having to deliver via episotomy. Nothing was explained or anything and they knew it was my first.
    Anyway it was about 6/8 mths after that, the programme was on tv about maternity in portlaoise and we both said that was out lo, the way they reacted when the oxytocin was put on and kept being put on and then born and died, that was exactly what was happening with us only tg we've had a good outcome and have a very strong lo now going to school.
    But all kidding aside it has petrified me. So we're from Laois so portlaoise would be handy, would it be different if we were private in portlaoise?
    Would we be better going to Dublin? Private, or who do I need to start to look at or where, what are fees like?
    Any info would be great, as I'm well out of my depth here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

dobad wrote: »
    Hi all, were thinking of ttc but we had such an awful time the last time, it actually scares me the thought of birth. We were public in Portlaoise, the care I was given was good, but the actually delivery I'll never forget. We had a midwife who spent most of her time talking to her friends in the hall, and when my lo was born there was no crying, no movement and nobody told me anything. Just that all was ok and they worked away on lo.
    After a while I was given our lo and that was it, the midwife never to be seen again and I ended up having to deliver via episotomy. Nothing was explained or anything and they knew it was my first.
    Anyway it was about 6/8 mths after that, the programme was on tv about maternity in portlaoise and we both said that was out lo, the way they reacted when the oxytocin was put on and kept being put on and then born and died, that was exactly what was happening with us only tg we've had a good outcome and have a very strong lo now going to school.
    But all kidding aside it has petrified me. So we're from Laois so portlaoise would be handy, would it be different if we were private in portlaoise?
    Would we be better going to Dublin? Private, or who do I need to start to look at or where, what are fees like?
    Any info would be great, as I'm well out of my depth here

Hi can you please not use abbreviations like LO etc they're confusing to other posters and against the forum charter.

Now, onto your question. Private is very expensive if you do not have private health insurance. You'd be looking at the guts of about 10000 euro. Portlaoise is now under the management of the Coombe women's hospital since the scandal broke and the Coombe is excellent.

Whichever option you choose, good luck and I wish you a healthy, happy pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dobad

Sorry bout the abbreviations. Wow would it be that much 10k . God I never thought would be that much. We have private health but would need to see what it does cover. You have me in shock over that figure ha

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I wouldn't give birth in Portlaoise but mostly because I had to spend months reviewing their report from the incidents they had a few year back and my understanding is that not enough has changed for me to feel safe there. If you have the choice to come to Dublin I would. With that said, I have no personal experience with them, just chats from friends who have and all the work I did on their governancy and management issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

Portlaoise Hospital ,, Has a very bad reputation, one well earned unfortunately.... RTE News have their own parking spot in the carpark, they spend that much time there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

The coombe would be your closest option I take it. They are very good. semi -p I think its 700ish plus scans (could be wrong) insurance covers the rest.
    Public is great too
    I know too many people who have had bad experiences in portlaoise...

• Advertisement

I'd go public in the Coombe if you do go there. Absolutely fabulous care and the rooms afterwards are small too. Be aware though with your partner having to travel to/from portlaoise that they do kick them out several times a day for 'rest periods' and meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I know dozens of friends and family who've had positive experience with Portlaoise maternity unit.
    Despite living nearby, I personally chose to have my youngest in the Coombe because as a nurse In Dublin, I'd seen so many sick newborns whisked to Crumlin because of neglected scenarios during labour.
    Not pleasant.

Alas there's no guarantee no matter what hospital to you choose to attend.

Not sure of statistics now, but back at the turn of this century Holles Street had the highest rate of neonatal mortality in Europe.
    Nowhere is perfect, enjoy your pregnancy and stay healthy ; that'll certainly make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

i dont know where the figure of 10000 came from but if youve health insurance most of them cover your stay in hospital for birth etc. and during your pregnancy you'll pay to see the consultant separately for all your scans, blood work and everything and they cost around €2500-3000

Thank you all, I really got a fright at the 10k cost!!! But yeah maybe it would be worth looking into more about the coombe. My biggest fear with portlaoise would be if I did go and something happened I would never forgive myself, that being said would private be different there?
    What way does semi private work in the coombe? I never knew about that, all I knew was public / private!
    Thanks everyone really appreciate the feed back. I would of had another baby ages ago if all went well before, but I can't believe, it's only when we started discussing it I realised how much I was afraid of it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Mycro

I'm glad your LO (it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out so don't mind the pedants), and congratulations on your upcoming new little one.

If you have health insurance, they will generally pay the hospital costs for private care, but you will need to pay the consultant. Prices are approx 3,000 to 4,000. Each consultant charges differently. However, for that, you will get as many visits as you need or want without extra charge. As a private patient, you would also have to pay for any additional items like the anamoly scan at 20 weeks, possibly for blood tests, etc.

If you don't have health insurance, the hospital charge is likely to be somewhere in the region of 3,500 on top of that, and approx 1,000 per night if you need to stay more than three nights. If you need a Section and don't have insurance, that will cost more too.

Private does not guarantee you a private room as it depends on availability. However, you will most likely have your own consultant, or a consultant colleague of him/her in attendance at the birth.

Semi-private is another option. I'm not sure how that works if you don't have insurance, but if you call the hospitals, they will fill you in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

Mycro wrote: »
    I'm glad your LO (it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out so don't mind the pedants), and congratulations on your upcoming new little one.

If you have health insurance, they will generally pay the hospital costs for private care, but you will need to pay the consultant. Prices are approx 3,000 to 4,000. Each consultant charges differently. However, for that, you will get as many visits as you need or want without extra charge. As a private patient, you would also have to pay for any additional items like the anamoly scan at 20 weeks, possibly for blood tests, etc.

If you don't have health insurance, the hospital charge is likely to be somewhere in the region of 3,500 on top of that, and approx 1,000 per night if you need to stay more than three nights. If you need a Section and don't have insurance, that will cost more too.

Private does not guarantee you a private room as it depends on availability. However, you will most likely have your own consultant, or a consultant colleague of him/her in attendance at the birth.

Semi-private is another option. I'm not sure how that works if you don't have insurance, but if you call the hospitals, they will fill you in.

agree, 10K is way above what it actually costs. ~3500 for consultant costs, 1000 per night if you don't have insurance, and 100 euro per scan, some of which may be covered by insurance. remember you can also get 20% of it back at the end of the year in tax credits.

Mycro wrote: »

if you bothered to read my post you'd have seen me saying using abbreviations is against the forum charter so please don't tell people to not mind the pedants.

"I'm glad your LO (it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out so don't mind the pedants), and congratulations on your upcoming new little one"

Not pregnant yet just doing the research now in case. I always said I'd love few kids but gosh now if we've one more I'll be happy. It is amazing how different things can really affect your "wants"
    Thanks everyone.
    Can anybody recommend consultants in the coombe and I'll look into them

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Thank you all, I really got a fright at the 10k cost!!! But yeah maybe it would be worth looking into more about the coombe. My biggest fear with portlaoise would be if I did go and something happened I would never forgive myself, that being said would private be different there?
    What way does semi private work in the coombe? I never knew about that, all I knew was public / private!
    Thanks everyone really appreciate the feed back. I would of had another baby ages ago if all went well before, but I can't believe, it's only when we started discussing it I realised how much I was afraid of it !!!

Nope, private or public it will be the same. That hospital has MANY MANY issues that go back all the way to the HSE. It doesn't mean that something will definitely happen, but there are definitely much better options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Can anybody recommend consultants in the coombe and I'll look into them

I couldn't recommend Nadine Farah highly enough - she was absolutely brilliant when I was pregnant last year and for the delivery. All scan costs are included as she does them all herself.

Think about how long it will take you to get to the hospital at rush hour when making your decision too, especially as second labours can be shorter than first time round

I had gunther von bunau and he was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

January wrote: »
    I had gunther von bunau and he was lovely.

Oh, is he the famous fella for turning breech babies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Yeah he is coz I was in perinatal in the bed beside someone he was trying to turn. I was with Aoife O Neill. I've heard some weren't happy with her but I had brilliant care despite complications and apart from being a bit gruff I had no problem with her or her team.

I think the confusion over cost for private was the cost with or without private health insurance!

My sister is in the Coombe via their clinic in naas so most of her appointments are in naas. I'm not sure if that is catchment area specific but naas is a bit closer to portlaoise for appointments at least. She delivers in the coombe

olaola wrote: »
    Oh, is he the famous fella for turning breech babies?

He's a fantastic supportive VBAC doctor too. Supported me every step of the way.

January wrote: »
    He's a fantastic supportive VBAC doctor too. Supported me every step of the way.

I hear he's fantastic, my midwives from the last time said he was amazing. Great to hear there's someone there who might be able to turn the baby if they don't feel like moving themselves!

• Advertisement

My sister is in the Coombe via their clinic in naas so most of her appointments are in naas. I'm not sure if that is catchment area specific but naas is a bit closer to portlaoise for appointments at least. She delivers in the coombe

Yep, Domino is area specific. I think they only cover certain parts of Kildare & South Dublin. You could look at other hospitals, but I don't think that Domino is available in Portlaoise, I'm afraid.

Yep, Domino is area specific. I think they only cover certain parts of Kildare & South Dublin. You could look at other hospitals, but I don't think that Domino is available in Portlaoise, I'm afraid.

She's actually consultant led not domino?

All this info is brill thanks. I'm going research all the mentioned consultants and look into the difference in semi private and private.
    It's great having the info cuz once you get pregnant and go to doc they automatically want to know where you want to attend. At least this way I'm going have all the research done
    Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭dorito92

also all your scans and blood tests are covered in the consultants fee so dont worry about anything extra, once you ring them they'll tell you of their charges - as was mentioned anywhere from €2500-4000, depending on who you see. best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

I couldn't recommend Nadine Farah highly enough - she was absolutely brilliant when I was pregnant last year and for the delivery. All scan costs are included as she does them all herself.

I was under Nadine Farrah too (although I was public) she is lovely

Out of curiosity could one go public in the coombe and opt for a private room if its covered on my health plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Out of curiosity could one go public in the coombe and opt for a private room if its covered on my health plan?

No - if you're public you can't request a private or semi-private bed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

The Domino scheme doesn't extend to Co. Laois I'm afraid but you can have your antenatal appointments in Naas. I'm in Laois and have an antenatal appointment in the Naas clinic next week.

That would be great if that's the case. Antenatal in Naas would be a huge help, its obviously just in a clinic there and then you'd attend the hosp if needed. Thanks this really is a huge help

• Advertisement

That would be great if that's the case. Antenatal in Naas would be a huge help, its obviously just in a clinic there and then you'd attend the hosp if needed. Thanks this really is a huge help

They definitely have a consultant in naas as well as the midwives because my sis thought she'd be transferred back to the Coombe when she needed to move to consultant led but they had one in naas

Advertisement