Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United vs Sheffield United 9/1/15 k/o 17.30 BT Sports

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

fullstop wrote: »
    Erm, no they don't. Football is a results business. DO you think any Chelsea fan cares that they played boring football for a lot of last season?

They didn't for the first half of the season. Results don't mean **** in the long term if its boring. If its remotely entertaining and you can win 1.0 then I agree. But if you play like today, no one would watch, hence no income for the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Diving to win a pen against sheff utd.
    #philosophy

Dry your eyes mate. It was a stonewall penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

omega man wrote: »
    Minimal contact. Blatant dive for me.

Da fuq? Did you see the replay? He went in studs up and caught him well on the shin.

• omega man wrote: »

K

Specsavers for you so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Awful game, happy to win but it's a horrible feeling when you think a loss will be the best thing for the team.

Everything is Awesome!!!

Everything is cool when you're part of a team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lol a tap in the shin is stoods up now

It was still a penalty, but yes, a tap. Have you heard of these new-fangled things called "shinpads"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

#philosophy

#philosophy
    #philosophy
    #####
    #super cool
    #philosophy

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

omega man wrote: »

Missed the replay so wasn't too sure if there was contact.

Thanks for clearing it up.

• Advertisement

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    They didn't for the first half of the season. Results don't mean **** in the long term if its boring. If its remotely entertaining and you can win 1.0 then I agree. But if you play like today, no one would watch, hence no income for the team.

This is just ridiculous.

Results are actually the only thing that matter long term

Entertainment is great, but unless its winning its pointless. I'll go see an movie if I want pointless entertainment.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• It was still a penalty, but yes, a tap. Have you heard of these new-fangled things called "shinpads"?

So its OK to use you studs if someone is wearing shin pads according to you?

Is this in the rulebook yes?

Here's what I think really happened.

It's the 95th minute

All the "Sheffield utd" fans come out of the woodwork because they sense the draw against a league one side.

What they ended up walking into was united winning with a penalty in the dying seconds

So they delete the text they wanted to originally post in there pre prepared posts and instead start posting about depay having a "dive"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

#philosophy

You're full of rubbish, recylingbin.

Heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

It was studs on the shin but the contact wouldn't have even pierced butter...and he most certainly dived to convince the ref. Still a penalty, based on the studs up....but 100% a dive, I cannot see how anyone can say otherwise. He jumped in the air ffs.

Everything is cool when you're part of a team

What would top my night off after that feast for the eyes is the sight of JJ Watt crying after he misses, no, better yet after he gets run over by a Chiefs running back tonight for the game winning TD as time expires.

Glorious.

Andre 3000 wrote: »
    It was studs on the shin but the contact wouldn't have even pierced butter...and he most certainly dived to convince the ref. Still a penalty, based on the studs up....but 100% a dive, I cannot see how anyone can say otherwise. He jumped in the air ffs.

I wouldn't say dive but a gross exaggeration of the pain he was in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

I was actually embarrassed to celebrate that goal. One of the worst performances I have seen, and that is saying something considering the dross we have seen this season.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I wouldn't say dive but a gross exaggeration of the pain he was in.

Yeah he exaggerated by diving/jumping in the air. He could have stayed on his feet there, no doubt about it. Contact was there, but it was minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Championship Vinyl

The player can't tell the level of impact the challenge is going to have. Studs up coming in like that, natural reaction is to jump out of the way. Looks like a dive in the replay though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Memphis left leg was planted and he got studs in the shin. It was a dangerous tackle, anybody that argues it wasn't is sitting in front of their computer with tears streaming down their faces :)

Untitled_6ca2d18ea29c196e133b_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

It was a clear penalty. I cant see how others dont see it, are ye watching in 140p?

Even the player who committed the foul knew it was a foul.

• Advertisement

• Schosely is spot on. Regardless of the win we were poor. So poor.

He looks depressed

Yeah he exaggerated by diving/jumping in the air. He could have stayed on his feet there, no doubt about it. Contact was there, but it was minimal.

Contact was there and it was with studs showing. Exaggeration or not, still a penalty.

This is just ridiculous.

Results are actually the only thing that matter long term

Entertainment is great, but unless its winning its pointless. I'll go see an movie if I want pointless entertainment.

Why do you watch football? Everyone watches it because its entertaining. Second is winning trophies. I'm all for playing **** football in the semi final of a champions league but not every single game to be bored to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So, the question we're all wondering about -

Dinner in Wing's for Louis tonight, yes or no?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So its OK to use you studs if someone is wearing shin pads according to you?

Is this in the rulebook yes?
    Try reading my post again. It says: "It was still a penalty"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Schosely is spot on. Regardless of the win we were poor. So poor.

He looks depressed

Yep, bar the Rooney comment.

Contact was there and it was with studs showing. Exaggeration or not, still a penalty.

Never said it wasn't a penalty, in fact I stayed it still was due to studs up but it was 100% a dive. My initial post was in reference to those saying it wasn't a dive.

Never said it wasn't a penalty, in fact I stayed it still was due to studs up but it was 100% a dive. My initial post was in reference to those saying it wasn't a dive.

I consider a dive as zero contact and maybe others do too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Definite penalty (even though it pains me to say it), 13 seconds into the clip;
    https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/no93.mp4
    Still doesn't alter the fact that he made a meal of it. The modern game, I suppose. I doubt there's any team that doesn't have a player that would do similar.

What would top my night off after that feast for the eyes is the sight of JJ Watt crying after he misses, no, better yet after he gets run over by a Chiefs running back tonight for the game winning TD as time expires.

Glorious.

Go chiefs finally got into nfl picked them after they won in London cant wait for tonight now..

• Advertisement

Why do you watch football? Everyone watches it because its entertaining. Second is winning trophies. I'm all for playing **** football in the semi final of a champions league but not every single game to be bored to death.

Cause I'm a United fan by birth.

I watch United and I want them to win, style of football comes second. "Everyone" has been watching United for a long time now without it being entertaining!

Football as a sport is actually well down the list of exciting sports if you are simply looking for some entertainment. I have an emotional connection to United so am bound to watch them regardless of excitement. Same as Ireland, same as my local team.

Other reasons I watch football are gambling and entertainment, but I would be very picky who I choose to watch if it isn't United

I consider a dive as zero contact and maybe others do too.

Any blatant exaggeration in order to get a free aka simulation is diving to me. Busquets gets murdered online for his diving when frankly he gets kicked too, albeit minimally...just like Depay here. Of course Busquets has blatantly dived with no contact too, but Depay is no angel there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Maybe this is a conversation for 20 years ago.

In the modern game everybody exaggerates contact in the penalty box

There's no point being annoyed. It just is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Any blatant exaggeration in order to get a free aka simulation is diving to me. Busquets gets murdered online for his diving when frankly he gets kicked too, albeit minimally...just like Depay here. Of course Busquets has blatantly dived with no contact too, but Depay is no angel there either.

Players are dead right to ensure that they get the correct decision. I'd reserve my ire for the downright idiotic decision Hammond made to do that in the first place.

Cause I'm a United fan by birth.

I watch United and I want them to win, style of football comes second. "Everyone" has been watching United for a long time now without it being entertaining!

Football as a sport is actually well down the list of exciting sports if you are simply looking for some entertainment. I have an emotional connection to United so am bound to watch them regardless of excitement. Same as Ireland, same as my local team.

Other reasons I watch football are gambling and entertainment, but I would be very picky who I choose to watch if it isn't United

So am I but we were never this consistently boring. We are **** and boring to watch. I'd take one of those but not both. Support your team through bad times but the manager is clearly not a fit. Go ahead and watch this **** if you want but most fans won't agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I can see an upset happening here.
    Man utd to snatch a winner at the death.

Called it.

Go chiefs finally got into nfl picked them after they won in London cant wait for tonight now..

Not a Chiefs fan per se, I do have a soft spot for the HC and coupe of players. Its more an overriding hatred of all things JJ Watt related really with his carefully crafted public image and all his other bull****

(We will get in trouble for being OT but come along to the AF forum later!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sheffield Utd

So am I but we were never this consistently boring. We are **** and boring to watch. I'd take one of those but not both. Support your team through bad times but the manager is clearly not a fit. Go ahead and watch this **** if you want but most fans won't agree.

I am watching this ****, and so are you!

Barring a couple of bright spots here and there we have been dire to watch for a long time yes.

I will say though, you don't have to watch and if it is bothering you to some extreme point I would say just don't watch for a while. Look at some other sports even?

• Advertisement

Called it.

#mysticmoe
    #philosophy
    ##

I am watching this ****, and so are you!

Barring a couple of bright spots here and there we have been dire to watch for a long time yes.

I will say though, you don't have to watch and if it is bothering you to some extreme point I would say just don't watch for a while. Look at some other sports even?

I am aware I'm watching it. Like yourself, I wasn't expecting it to be this woeful continually. My point remains that football is about entertainment and if it fails to do that support will wain long term. Why do you think so many people left before the final whistle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The first angle behind Depay looked a shocking dive, but it is a clear penalty from the opposite angle. And a woeful tackle diving in from so far away in the box.

I am aware I'm watching it. Like yourself, I wasn't expecting it to be this woeful continually. My point remains that football is about entertainment and if it fails to do that support will wain long term. Why do you think so many people left before the final whistle.

Various reasons ranging from beating the traffic, making a train, being fed up, and perhaps not being the best fan evertm

Various reasons ranging from beating the traffic, making a train, being fed up, and perhaps not being the best fan evertm

Fair enough for travel but your not the best fan for staying in the stadium longest. It because it was boring af. I hate this crap about fans not being real fans for being critical. Real fans are critical as they want the team to improve constantly so they reach the top level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Great day out as always but the football was depressing as ****... players play with fear... no risks taken in the final third... nowhere near enough movement off the ball... teamwork and any coordinated interplay nowhere to be seen... a load of bøllocks... cant lay it all on LVG either but I just wish he would fůck off at this point if he cant produce anything from his squad better then this.. fans well and truly fed up with him... i think i need another Guinness....

• Advertisement

Fair enough for travel but your not the best fan for staying in the stadium longest. It because it was boring af. I hate this crap about fans not being real fans for being critical. Real fans are critical as they want the team to improve constantly so they reach the top level.

I am extremely critical, nobody would ever say someone is not a real fan if they are critical (nobody you should listen to anyway) My response including the tm was tongue in cheek as a play on the notion that staying till the bitter end makes you a better fan then anybody else. I didn't make any inference that you are the best fan if you stay longer, that was part of the joke. Sorry it wasn't clear.

There are loads of reasons for someone to leave a game early. Personally I don't do it, if I'm at a United game I will probably be staying with family so have no rush to leave. For my local team I am also in no rush as I live about 5 minutes walk from the stadium :) If I needed to catch a bus, a train, a flight, a dinner reservation, whatever I would leave early if I needed to.

• Strumms wrote: »
    Great day out as always but the football was depressing as ****... players play with fear... no risks taken in the final third... nowhere near enough movement off the ball... teamwork and any coordinated interplay nowhere to be seen... a load of bøllocks... cant lay it all on LVG either but I just wish he would fůck off at this point if he cant produce anything from his squad better then this.. fans well and truly fed up with him... i think i need another Guinness....

Hope you enjoyed yourself regardless

Tried my best to rep you in the thread. Enjoy the beer!

I am extremely critical, nobody would ever say someone is not a real fan if they are critical (nobody you should listen to anyway) My response including the tm was tongue in cheek as a play on the notion that staying till the bitter end makes you a better fan then anybody else. I didn't make any inference that you are the best fan if you stay longer, that was part of the joke. Sorry it wasn't clear.

There are loads of reasons for someone to leave a game early. Personally I don't do it, if I'm at a United game I will probably be staying with family so have no rush to leave. For my local team I am also in no rush as I live about 5 minutes walk from the stadium :) If I needed to catch a bus, a train, a flight, a dinner reservation, whatever I would leave early if I needed to.

I agree with that so. I assume we also agree that LVG needs to go and that we both need 15 pints to forget about that **** performance.

Van Gaal doesn't need to go for me yet, but he does have to do something pretty drastic. He knows what the problem is but he can't get the players to do it on the field, he constantly says we are not passing the ball quick enough, that movement isn't good enough, not enough width etc but nothing is changing really so he will get the bullet sooner or later if he can't solve the problem.

15 pints though? Yeah I'm with you on that :)

Van Gaal doesn't need to go for me yet, but he does have to do something pretty drastic. He knows what the problem is but he can't get the players to do it on the field, he constantly says we are not passing the ball quick enough, that movement isn't good enough, not enough width etc but nothing is changing really so he will get the bullet sooner or later if he can't solve the problem.

15 pints though? Yeah I'm with you on that :)

Well I'd rather the kitman took over now but we do agree on the pints.

• Advertisement
Advertisement