Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking tea/coffee in classroom

Options
  • 09-01-2016 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Do you think staff (teachers, SNAs) should be allowed to bring in a cup of tea to class while they are working? Is it a H&S issue? Do you think it is unprofessional? A kind of lowering of the tone.

Or do you think that staff are entitled to do this, that it is not an issue and that it is no different from, for example, having a sip from a bottle of water?

What is the situation in your school?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I don't have an opinion either way, however if you are a teacher who stops students drinking in the classroom then you certainly shouldn't drink anything in the classroom.

The only reason I would consider bringing a drink with me would be if I was on for the entire morning and hadn't a break at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I have brought one when i'm on several classes straight but to be honest I completely forget to drink it even when I do and it goes stone cold

Edit: mine has a lid

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

SNA here. I do sometimes bring my tea back with me but only if I've not had my full break, have to be back in class and it must be a mug with a lid. Not allowed "open" cups in classrooms.

Don't see an issue with it really. Certainly don't think it's unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

SNA here. I do sometimes bring my tea back with me but only if I've not had my full break, have to be back in class and it must be a mug with a lid. Not allowed "open" cups in classrooms.

Don't see an issue with it really. Certainly don't think it's unprofessional.

Is there a policy about this in your school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I don't particularly see any big deal once people aren't taking the you know what with it.
    Rarely (once or twice a year) I would bring a cup of tea with me to class if I don't get a chance to have a break sometimes just get caught up dealing with something or having to meet with someone.
    Recently I had to bring my lunch into class with me as I had a match during break time and wasn't given any time off had to go straight to class. I didn't ask was it ok. I didn't particularly care if it was I hadn't eaten since breakfast (missed small break too) and was in class the rest of the afternoon.

To me teaching is different in a way that you don't always get a break things don't always happen at a convenient time. In the example about with the match even if there had been a rule against it I still would have had my lunch in class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

There is a policy of no hot drinks allowed outside staffroom in my school on health and safety grounds. I don't think it's at all unprofessional though unless you somehow allowed it to interfere with teaching and learning but that could apply to hundreds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Is there a policy about this in your school?

Only policy is your cup must have a lid. Teachers don't do it much. I might once a month or so.... If I don't get my break I'd bring my cuppa to the room. It's kept out of kids way, on my desk, lid on mug.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I dunno, I know teachers who do it but I think its wierd drinking tea/coffee and teaching at the same time. Although im kind of ritualistic in that ill only enjoy tea/coffee when im on my own and no-one is bothering me.

Come to think of it I detest students sipping water during class too... its ridiculous nonsense. Quite a few students would easily drink a pint of water by 11pm and then be looking to leave to get refils pleading dehydration... in my day... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I do it the odd time if I haven't had a chance at break or on the days that I have 8 or 9 in a row. I wouldn't eat in class however, that is a bit unprofessional.

i've had my lunch in my classroom the odd time when supervising students practising music at lunch. Its only because I get no lunch break otherwise and Im not teaching them, just making sure nobody breaks the music equipment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

For me, I wouldn't but if it is because someone had no break, yes, otherwise, I don't see the need.

I am not sure either. I may be old fashioned.

I would be somewhat taken aback if my solicitor took out a subway and started chomping on it whilst sat in front of me saying that his/her day didn't go as planned/had too many meetings/other people were late etc and that (s)he had not had time for a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I am not sure either. I may be old fashioned.

I would be somewhat taken aback if my solicitor took out a subway and started chomping on it whilst sat in front of me saying that his/her day didn't go as planned/had too many meetings/other people were late etc and that (s)he had not had time for a break.

Taking out a subway and chomping on it isn't drinking tea or coffee. Is it eating food you were talking about instead of drinking?

What would you propose if you don't get any break working from 9-4. Teachers do have rights too despite the fact we let ourselves be walked over. It's the same with toilets most jobs you can go to the toilet when you choose ours you have to wait 2 hours

The difference being the solicitor would let you sit there for 10 mins unfortunately we can't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

for all the people saying that they would because they got no lunch or break , what would you do if a student did it

I have allowed students eat their lunch down the back of the room in the past if for some reason they never got a break like got back from a match late. I don't see the problem. People should be allowed eat their lunch it is not healthy to expect people to go that long without eating.
    A bit of common sense goes a long way

In my case it was either eat my lunch while supervising them or cancel the entirely voluntary opportunity I was providing them to practise

Not having the opportunity to take breaks is illegal, as I am sure the Organization of Work Act or whatever it's called would testify.

Why have teachers accepted this?

Because teachers in general prefer to give their time for the benefit of the students rather themselves.
    Like I said my opinion on the odd occasion what difference does it make if a student or teacher had to eat their lunch if they didn't get time for whatever reason.
    If someone goes in every day doing it and it effects their teaching. That to me is a different conversation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I supervise on Mondays and Fridays. I don't bother with a hot tea or coffee - not safe around junior or senior infants.

Lunch is an apple, banana or something that can be held in the hand to munch at easily.

My problem is that there are a few parents out there that don't provide a lunch for their children. I work in a very middle class school.

Confusing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Not having the opportunity to take breaks is illegal, as I am sure the Organization of Work Act or whatever it's called would testify.

Why have teachers accepted this?

Extra curricular at lunchtime... It's a vocation thing

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Taking out a subway and chomping on it isn't drinking tea or coffee. Is it eating food you were talking about instead of drinking?

I was talking about drinking but the conversation has developed and moved on Mona.

Now, part of the discussion is about how teachers and more particularly schools manage time.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aufbau

I'm one of those who didn't allow students to drink in class. It's rude and they had enough time between classes. I'm also of the opinion that it is unprofessional for a teacher to drink water, never mind tea/coffee, while teaching. On occasion I've asked a colleague to sit into my class for a few minutes if I had to.

You definitely shouldn't be expected to bring your lunch etc into the classroom with you because the management decide to use up your break time. On occasion our Principal would hold information meetings at small break, two minutes at start to get your tea. Since I had to wait to see my students out of the lab before locking it, those two minutes would be long gone. On occasion, if I had a full morning of class, I'd sit in the staffroom afterwards to have my break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Aufbau wrote: »
    I'm one of those who didn't allow students to drink in class. It's rude how is drinking water rude, you don't know what the student was doing before your class and they had enough time between classes. I don't get where you get that idea. the teachers in my school has the same delusion(no offence I hope). we often had metalwork at one end of the school followed by maths at the other end . if you left on the dot of the bell ringing you would be late and in trouble by the time you got to class. on several occasions we were 10 minutes late for class because one teacher let the time slip buy and had to finish or give homework I'm also of the opinion that it is unprofessional for a teacher to drink water, never mind tea/coffee, while teaching. surely keeping hydrated is good for you teaching and learning ability On occasion I've asked a colleague to sit into my class for a few minutes if I had to.

You definitely shouldn't be expected to bring your lunch etc into the classroom with you because the management decide to use up your break time. On occasion our Principal would hold information meetings at small break, two minutes at start to get your tea. Since I had to wait to see my students out of the lab before locking it, those two minutes would be long gone. On occasion, if I had a full morning of class, I'd sit in the staffroom afterwards to have my break.

for all the people saying that they would because they got no lunch or break , what would you do if a student did it

That's an interesting question and raises the issue of children's rights. Shouldn't children be allowed to eat a sandwich in class (due to a school management cock up) as much as a teacher/SNA?

I do think it is ok for staff to swig from a bottle of water. It does clear the throat etc. There is no danger of scalding a student either.

However the danger to computers is still there I acknowledge. Some students would also throw your bottle around (oh yes they would) and cause all sorts of problems. I often go long stretches, often the whole day without eating. I still would not eat in class in front of students. I am able to do that but I recognize that not all staff are and that it posses a H&S risk for some eg pregnant staff.

I wouldn't consider drinking water myself or the students drinking it to be rude to be honest. I've worked in plenty of private industries where it is standard practise to have water available at all times and most meetings/presentations would provide jugs of water. We are working in an environment where our voice is critical and drinking regularly is very important for that.

I would also agree in relation to "common sense". If my students have just arrived back from a match then I will let them eat their lunch, I'm not going to say they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

In my case it was either eat my lunch while supervising them or cancel the entirely voluntary opportunity I was providing them to practise
    Was putting it off for ten or fifteen minutes not an option? Presumably, if you didn't have time to eat lunch then neither did the students.

seavill wrote: »
    What would you propose if you don't get any break working from 9-4. Teachers do have rights too despite the fact we let ourselves be walked over. It's the same with toilets most jobs you can go to the toilet when you choose ours you have to wait 2 hours

The difference being the solicitor would let you sit there for 10 mins unfortunately we can't do that.
    I would propose that you tell whosver's in charge of covering your classes when you're at a match that you need an extra fifteen minutes and that they need to cover the first fifteen minutes of your class. Lunch break isn't just for the purposes of eating. You need a break too and, while a lot of the time a match is a nice break and a pleasant experience, sometimes it's stressful and not a break at all so it's not fair for them to assume you don't need a break.

RealJohn wrote: »
    Was putting it off for ten or fifteen minutes not an option? Presumably, if you didn't have time to eat lunch then neither did the students.

It was a series of students not the same ones for all of break so it didn't affect them in terms of eating their lunch

• Advertisement

It was a series of students not the same ones for all of break so it didn't affect them in terms of eating their lunch
    Fair enough. I still don't see why you wouldn't put it off for fifteen minutes for your own sake though, unless the point of eating lunch in front of them was to emphasise that you were losing your lunchtime to do it (because I know from experience that some students seem to think that if you're there at all then you're under obligation to be).

Advertisement