Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking tea/coffee in classroom

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Aufbau wrote: »
    I'm one of those who didn't allow students to drink in class. It's rude and they had enough time between classes. I'm also of the opinion that it is unprofessional for a teacher to drink water, never mind tea/coffee, while teaching. On occasion I've asked a colleague to sit into my class for a few minutes if I had to.

You definitely shouldn't be expected to bring your lunch etc into the classroom with you because the management decide to use up your break time. On occasion our Principal would hold information meetings at small break, two minutes at start to get your tea. Since I had to wait to see my students out of the lab before locking it, those two minutes would be long gone. On occasion, if I had a full morning of class, I'd sit in the staffroom afterwards to have my break.

Your principal using your breaks for meetings is the one who is being unprofessional there. I would happily miss out those meetings and have my break in my classroom.

And if you sit in the staff room after break time then who minds your class?

I have no problem with students asking to take a sip of water. I also have no problem drinking water myself in class and do it every day in nearly every class. Small sips! And this business of it being a health and safety matter is an interesting one. Drinking water is now a health and safety issue in a standard classroom? Really? Are we going completely insane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Come to think of it I detest students sipping water during class too... its ridiculous nonsense.
    I'm one of those who didn't allow students to drink in class. It's rude and they had enough time between classes. I'm also of the opinion that it is unprofessional for a teacher to drink water
    Wow. And we wonder why people show resentment towards teachers. Entirely perverse behaviour and would be seen as such in the vast majority of work places, including lecture halls at third level and any school I ever attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Canadel wrote: »
    Wow. And we wonder why people show resentment towards teachers. Entirely perverse behaviour and would be seen as such in the vast majority of work places, including lecture halls at third level and any school I ever attended.

And your point being what exactly? The discussion is not about other workplaces,it's about classrooms, with varying viewpoints which is normal and nothing whatsoever to do with this fabled "resentment towards teachers"! Or are teachers no longer allowed to express their views, in your opinion?

acequion wrote: »
    And your point being what exactly? The discussion is not about other workplaces,it's about classrooms, with varying viewpoints which is normal and nothing whatsoever to do with this fabled "resentment towards teachers"! Or are teachers no longer allowed to express their views, in your opinion?
    They did express their views and their views are perverse in my opinion. What is your point exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I'm one of those who didn't allow students to drink in class. It's rude and they had enough time between classes.

I find 'rude' a very odd way to describe drinking water. I would allow students water in class but nothing else (no soft drinks etc). I would occasionally drink water in class while teaching it is good practice, saves the voice and keeps you fit and hydrated. Obviously if a student was using it as a distraction I would have the common sense to stop them.

On another note there are some teachers who leave used tea/coffee mugs behind them in classes and that WRECKS my head - now that I would describe that as rude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

They did express their views and their views are perverse in my opinion. What is your point exactly?

My point exactly is that you have no right to accuse people of being "perverse" just because you don't agree with them. That's inflammatory. Everyone has the right to express a view.

And as for my view re teachers drinking tea /coffee whatever in class. I think it all comes down to plain old common sense. No teacher makes a habit of sitting on his / her pretty ass sipping coffee in front of a class of 30 in today's school environment, but sometimes needs must. Ditto for allowing kids to eat if they haven't eaten due to matches etc

It's a simple matter of judgement and common sense. Certainly no big deal.

acequion wrote: »
    My point exactly is that you have no right to accuse people of being "perverse" just because you don't agree with them. That's inflammatory. Everyone has the right to express a view.
    I didn't accuse people of being perverse. I described the behaviour as being perverse, which it is. Everyone has the right to express a view, but nobody has a right for those views to go unchallenged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Is it necessary for a student to have downed a litre of water in the 1st 2 hours of school?

Is it ok that more and more students 'have to' leave the class to use the bathroom rather than waiting till break time (or controlling the water consumption)? About 5 years ago I might have had 1 student leave a class for a bathroom break (at most). Now it's averaging about 4 per class at varying points in the class. Would it perverse to ask them to wait... I presume so going by the above post.

One of my students let it slip last week... i drink so much so I wont be hungry.

Why do you need to sip water every minute or so in lectures or workplace anyway?
    Well.. I can tell you that a pseudoscience company (Brain gym)cooked up this 'dehydration' notion at the start of this century ... which basically was a whole load of pseudoscience unsubstantiated BS. But the crux of the 'theory' was that rehydration improved learning. Have a read of Ben Goldacre's criticisms of their 'science'...
    "Drink a glass of water before Brain Gym activities. As it is a major component of blood, water is vital for transporting oxygen to the brain." Heaven forbid that your blood should dry out. (Source HERE ).

So.. no.. students don't need to be sipping water in every class for whatever reason, they'll survive till the break, they're not crossing a desert.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Asaiah

I am in my early 30's and thinking back to my primary and secondary school education, we never had a bottle of water in class, shop bought bottled water didn't exist then unless you filled your own bottle which no one did. We drank our milk at lunch and that was it. If we were thirsty we could ask for a glass of tap water.

I do find it strange kids continuously sipping bottled water during class. Why do they need it? Drink a glass of water if your thirsty and that's that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The hydration thing is pure marketing genius. This is Ireland and we are not dealing with elite athletes running a marathon. People sucking at bottles constantly drives me nuts.

• Advertisement

I could appreciate that teachers might need to sip some water occasionally as they talk a lot, but students... id say no and I tell them put the water away. Im not sure of any medical reason where a doctor would prescribe someone to drink 1 litre of water in school

Is it necessary for a student to have downed a litre of water in the 1st 2 hours of school?

Is it ok that more and more students 'have to' leave the class to use the bathroom rather than waiting till break time (or controlling the water consumption)? About 5 years ago I might have had 1 student leave a class for a bathroom break (at most). Now it's averaging about 4 per class at varying points in the class. Would it perverse to ask them to wait... I presume so going by the above post.

One of my students let it slip last week... i drink so much so I wont be hungry.

Why do you need to sip water every minute or so in lectures or workplace anyway?
    Well.. I can tell you that a pseudoscience company (Brain gym)cooked up this 'dehydration' notion at the start of this century ... which basically was a whole load of pseudoscience unsubstantiated BS. But the crux of the 'theory' was that rehydration improved learning. Have a read of Ben Goldacre's criticisms of their 'science'...
    "Drink a glass of water before Brain Gym activities. As it is a major component of blood, water is vital for transporting oxygen to the brain." Heaven forbid that your blood should dry out. (Source HERE ).

So.. no.. students don't need to be sipping water in every class for whatever reason, they'll survive till the break, they're not crossing a desert.
    It's quite obvious that in your world you are always right. But no article or argument will ever convince me, nor I imagine most rational people, that stopping someone from having a drink of water for an extended period of time is not absurd. And entirely perverse as I've already said. If a person's water consumption causes so much trouble for you in the classroom, the problem is not the person being allowed to drink water. Never was. Never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Is there a policy about this in your school?

There was a policy on this in a school I taught in in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aufbau

It's quite obvious that in your world you are always right.
    Lol, projection or what?
    But no article or argument will ever convince me, nor I imagine most rational people, that stopping someone from having a drink of water for an extended period of time is not absurd. And entirely perverse as I've already said. If a person's water consumption causes so much trouble for you in the classroom, the problem is not the person being allowed to drink water. Never was. Never will be.
    Classes last for 35 or 40 mins - hardly an extended period of time especially when a student (or teacher) can easily drink from their bottle before and after.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I could appreciate that teachers might need to sip some water occasionally as they talk a lot, but students... id say no and I tell them put the water away. Im not sure of any medical reason where a doctor would prescribe someone to drink 1 litre of water in school

I dis agree with you .

im sure a doctor could tell you several reasons to drink 1 litre

if the student (or teacher for that matter) is doing it noisily or in a distracting manner then its more the persons fault rather than the fault of them drinking water.

I drink a good bit of water everyday and you get used to it and need it. if you don't get that much water then you start to dehydrate and loose concentration or get headaches. at least I do.

if I was in your class and you wouldn't let me drink a bit of water then id leave and report you to your supervisors. you would be wasting my time as well as your own and distracting other students .

Lol, projection or what?

Classes last for 35 or 40 mins - hardly an extended period of time especially when a student (or teacher) can easily drink from their bottle before and after.
    Lol, power trip or simply total idiocy resulting in suffering?

I would certainly call 35-40 minutes of anything an extended period of time. They can have a drink before and after of course but they should also be allowed to drink water while in class.

35-40 mins is a long time without water, never mind if someone didn't have a chance, or forgot, to have a drink before class. It's close to 3% of an entire day. If you have the same policy for every class and say a student has 7 classes per day, that's approx 20% of the day where a student is prevented from drinking water. It's perverse. And you could argue bordering on torture given access to water is recognised as a human right.

I know when I was in school 10 years ago our classes were in blocks of 3 so if you had 3 single classes you might get a chance but if you had a double or even a triple ( we had a few where different subject but in same room) then you never got out
    we had so many books because we weren't allowed back to our locker between classes that if had even a small bottle of water on you it would push you over the limit and not be able to carry every thing. for one set of classes I had 14" of books.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭icebergiceberg

I think that if the principal refuses to make timetable changes to allow staff to go to matches etc then you should not volunteer. This is to protect your rights. You have done nothing wrong.

However, if you choose to go on match, after the principal refuses, then you are not standing up for your rights. You have made that decision. You know you are not going to have a break. Because of that you should never be lunching in front of students in class when you are supposed to be teaching. Now that is really unprofessional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Policy over cups of tea/coffee?????

If this is the worst thing happening in your school, consider yourselves blessed :)

Policy over cups of tea/coffee?????
    If this is the worst thing happening in your school, consider yourselves blessed :)

Yes ... but is it possible for a staff member drinking a cup of tea in class to accidentally scald a student? And if it is possible then the school should foresee that and have a policy about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I think that if the principal refuses to make timetable changes to allow staff to go to matches etc then you should not volunteer. This is to protect your rights. You have done nothing wrong.

However, if you choose to go on match, after the principal refuses, then you are not standing up for your rights. You have made that decision. You know you are not going to have a break. Because of that you should never be lunching in front of students in class when you are supposed to be teaching. Now that is really unprofessional.

I'd love to be teaching in all these perfect schools where nothing unexpected happens.

The majority of student do not sit in class sipping water constantly for 40 mins or ask to go to the toilet every few mins because of it, if they do as someone mentioned, it is the teacher that is the problem because clearly you have no control or the kids have no respect for you.

Personally if someone wants to have a quick drink and put it back in their bag I don't see the big deal, that is just my personal opinion, someone supping constantly making noise, trying to cause a disruption, that is a different conversation.

The whole toilet thing depends on the time of the day generally. Approx an hour after break or lunch I will usually have requests for the toilet or may when we are getting close to break or lunch. In all honesty I don't blame them, I am usually in the exact same situation, the difference being I can't go. In saying that I had to ask a colleague to stand into my class yesterday near the end of a double after lunch as I could not wait until the end of class, first time it has ever happened but it happens.
    Again like the whole drinking thing, if someone is taking the piss over it then that's a different situation. If someone asks me I ask them if they can wait until the end of class, if they say they can't I let them go, sometimes they honestly say, "yea I can wait" and they do. If it is someone I think is messing with it, I tell them no, if they really have to go they ask again and I know if they are messing or not, if they are they usually don't ask a second time.

I take issue with you calling me unprofessional, as it is my comment a few pages back that you are referring to.
    If you don't mind sending me on your address I'll pay a visit to your perfect world sometime.
    I didn't sit there eating while the kids were doing nothing, if they were taking notes or had an activity I took a bite of my lunch when I had a chance.
    Parents give out enough about teachers missing class for this that or the other, and in some cases I don't blame them, I fell that if I was in a position to teach them then I should, taking a bite every now and then allowed the students to continue to learn which is what they are there for, I personally think I'd rather teach them while trying to get a bite in between rather than them having a free class with nothing to do (as I wouldn't have organised work as we were expecting to be back)

The last time it happened the bus was delayed coming back from a match due to an accident on the road, the school had allowed time for lunch (as we had included an extra supervision class just in case) but unfortunately that time was eaten up due to traffic. Unfortunately there was no one around at the time to stand in and the S&S hadn't it included. And before you say we should have taken delays into account, we did by getting an extra class covered but it still wasn't enough.

People need to get a grip and live in the real world a bit, if all people have to be worrying about is a kid taking a drink of water, you must work in some lovely schools, which is very nice for you, some of us have real problems to be worrying about for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Yes ... but is it possible for a staff member drinking a cup of tea in class to accidentally scald a student? And if it is possible then the school should foresee that and have a policy about it.
    Ya, right... and what about all those potentially lethal pencils and sharpeners, should we have a policy about those too? What if someone chokes on a rubber? Or drops a heavy book on their foot? :eek:

seavill wrote: »
    I'd love to be teaching in all these perfect schools where nothing unexpected happens.

The majority of student do not sit in class sipping water constantly for 40 mins or ask to go to the toilet every few mins because of it, if they do as someone mentioned, it is the teacher that is the problem because clearly you have no control or the kids have no respect for you.

Personally if someone wants to have a quick drink and put it back in their bag I don't see the big deal, that is just my personal opinion, someone supping constantly making noise, trying to cause a disruption, that is a different conversation.

The whole toilet thing depends on the time of the day generally. Approx an hour after break or lunch I will usually have requests for the toilet or may when we are getting close to break or lunch. In all honesty I don't blame them, I am usually in the exact same situation, the difference being I can't go. In saying that I had to ask a colleague to stand into my class yesterday near the end of a double after lunch as I could not wait until the end of class, first time it has ever happened but it happens.
    Again like the whole drinking thing, if someone is taking the piss over it then that's a different situation. If someone asks me I ask them if they can wait until the end of class, if they say they can't I let them go, sometimes they honestly say, "yea I can wait" and they do. If it is someone I think is messing with it, I tell them no, if they really have to go they ask again and I know if they are messing or not, if they are they usually don't ask a second time.

I take issue with you calling me unprofessional, as it is my comment a few pages back that you are referring to.
    If you don't mind sending me on your address I'll pay a visit to your perfect world sometime.
    I didn't sit there eating while the kids were doing nothing, if they were taking notes or had an activity I took a bite of my lunch when I had a chance.
    Parents give out enough about teachers missing class for this that or the other, and in some cases I don't blame them, I fell that if I was in a position to teach them then I should, taking a bite every now and then allowed the students to continue to learn which is what they are there for, I personally think I'd rather teach them while trying to get a bite in between rather than them having a free class with nothing to do (as I wouldn't have organised work as we were expecting to be back)

The last time it happened the bus was delayed coming back from a match due to an accident on the road, the school had allowed time for lunch (as we had included an extra supervision class just in case) but unfortunately that time was eaten up due to traffic. Unfortunately there was no one around at the time to stand in and the S&S hadn't it included. And before you say we should have taken delays into account, we did by getting an extra class covered but it still wasn't enough.

People need to get a grip and live in the real world a bit, if all people have to be worrying about is a kid taking a drink of water, you must work in some lovely schools, which is very nice for you, some of us have real problems to be worrying about for the kids

I am actually pro kids' right to drink. Have a read back.
    I made no reference to kids and the toilet at all. You may be confusing me with someone else. I broadly agree with your points about the above however. They are reasonable and sensible.

You seem a little less sure when trying to justify eating in class while teaching.

My main point is unchanged: Teachers must assert their right to a break. Let management sort it out. It's their problem. I am not a union man myself and know little of their working, but would be interested in knowing what they have to say about break time/matches and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I am actually pro kids' right to drink. Have a read back.
    I made no reference to kids and the toilet at all. You may be confusing me with someone else. I broadly agree with your points about the above however. They are reasonable and sensible.

You seem a little less sure when trying to justify eating in class while teaching.

My main point is unchanged: Teachers must assert their right to a break. Let management sort it out. It's their problem. I am not a union man myself and know little of their working, but would be interested in knowing what they have to say about break time/matches and so on.

No confusion, I was making a general point about previous comments on the thread first, the quote from you should have been placed in the middle of the text rather than the start.

I am not unsure about anything at all, in the instance I describe there was no one available to take my class, we had accounted for an extra class in case we were late back (and to give everyone time to get lunch) but it was simply not enough, who could have foreseen that. Not everything goes to plan all of the time you have to be flexible in the job we are in, the only available people at the time would have been the Principal or VP, the VP was away at a conference and the P was meeting with someone. No other teachers were available to stand in so there was nothing even management could do.
    I had no problem with this, it wasn't a case that our management force us to work through our lunch daily or anything it was a strange day.
    I got over it, the kids got over it, the world kept turning.

This is the same thing as my earlier point about toilets/water. People have to have a bit of cop on (which seems to be lacking of late), sometimes odd things happen outside of our control and you make do with the best of the situation you can. I am not for a second claiming that someone going in every day eating their lunch in front of the kids, not doing their job in the process is acceptable, my point from the start was sh1t happens sometimes, things have to be done on odd occasions, it's hardly the end of the world, bringing in the union because the bus was late back from a match and we improvised, that is what's wrong with Ireland today.

peckerhead wrote: »
    Ya, right... and what about all those potentially lethal pencils and sharpeners, should we have a policy about those too? What if someone chokes on a rubber? Or drops a heavy book on their foot? :eek:

I have never heard about a student getting injured with a sharpener.

I would be surprised if a student somewhere had not been injured by another student throwing one or a similar sized object however. Sometimes students throw stuff at each other, in my school for sure. By the grace of God no serious injury has occurred.

If someone chokes on a rubber, well that could be a life threatening situation, I am quite sure calling an ambulance/doctor would be part of that policy perhaps while first aid is administered. I don't know. i have never been in that position.

Are you suggesting that accidents can not happen with these instruments...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

While this thread was always destined for the Boards treatment it seems to have gone spectacularly into orbit in the last page or two .I suppose it's too late to mention what goes in must come out ?! But I guess that's another thread ...

I dis agree with you .

im sure a doctor could tell you several reasons to drink 1 litre

Tell me one good reason why someone sitting static for most of the day needs to drink 2 - 3 litres of water?

I'd suggest that you'd be very hard pressed to find any doctor who would say this is necessary or that your body will dry out if you don't reach that target.
    As I said, some students would have downed a litre in the first 2 hours of school.
    if the student (or teacher for that matter) is doing it noisily or in a distracting manner then its more the persons fault rather than the fault of them drinking water.

It's not so much the consumption in class, it's the end result.
    I drink a good bit of water everyday and you get used to it and need it.
    Some people take a lot of vitamins every day.. they get used to it and they also think they need it. Fair enough if that's what you want to do, but if you find yourself having to abruptly leave meetings at crucial points then it's a problem.
    if you don't get that much water then you start to dehydrate and loose concentration or get headaches. at least I do.

How much do you need? If you're talking about experiencing fainting, discolouration of the urine potential kidney trouble due to dyhydration then you need to see a doctor. You don't need to be sipping water every ten minutes throughout the day. Take a drink at breakfast then at breaks (like I tell students), you'll be fine, if not then you probably need to see a doctor.

if I was in your class and you wouldn't let me drink a bit of water then id leave and report you to your supervisors. you would be wasting my time as well as your own and distracting other students .

If you were in my class I'd ask is it necessary to be sipping water every ten minutes, if not... put it away till break or between classes, you'll survive. If it's medically necessary then you can get your parents to sign a note. As I said, it's not so much the drinking water it's the end result. If you were in my class and you witnessed 5 people with hands up asking to go to the toilet throughout the class then you'd wonder how much of the lesson are they missing, how much of the class are they interrupting also. Sure, I always let people go and I ask them if it can wait till the end of class. But really, if it's disrupting the class and students' education then I should take control.

How did people survive before this water fad?

Tell me one good reason why someone sitting static for most of the day needs to drink 2 - 3 litres of water? thats excessive

I'd suggest that you'd be very hard pressed to find any doctor who would say this is necessary or that your body will dry out if you don't reach that target.
    As I said, some students would have downed a litre in the first 2 hours of school. I think you would be hard pressed to find a doctor that would tell you not to drink water.
    I drink a lot of water , even to the point that I asked the doctor if it was too much. his response was that I was borderline on target with the recommended levels. I drink way more than most

It's not so much the consumption in class, it's the end result.
    I presume you mean going to the loo. obviously you need to drink within your limits and situations

Some people take a lot of vitamins every day.. they get used to it and they also think they need it. Fair enough if that's what you want to do, but if you find yourself having to abruptly leave meetings at crucial points then it's a problem.
    don't worry im fully in control of my bladder.

How much do you need? If you're talking about experiencing fainting, discolouration of the urine potential kidney trouble due to dyhydration then you need to see a doctor. clearly that's more than being thirsty You don't need to be sipping water every ten minutes throughout the day. Take a drink at breakfast then at breaks (like I tell students), you'll be fine, if not then you probably need to see a doctor.

I doubt you have the medical training to be recommending medical advice to your students
    on a normal day a drink every few hours in enough but you don't know what has happened earlier . maybe a match, pe, missed some of lunch due to a meeting etc

If you were in my class I'd ask is it necessary to be sipping water every ten minutes, if not... put it away till break or between classes, you'll survive. If it's medically necessary then you can get your parents to sign a note. it might not me a medical need but the circumstances prior might require it As I said, it's not so much the drinking water it's the end result. If you were in my class and you witnessed 5 people with hands up asking to go to the toilet throughout the class then you'd wonder how much of the lesson are they missing, how much of the class are they interrupting also. Sure, I always let people go and I ask them if it can wait till the end of class. But really, if it's disrupting the class and students' education then I should take control. some students will use this as a reason to be disruptive. the water and loo isn't the problem here its the disruptive student. in all the higher level classes I was in I would very rarely see anyone looking to go to the loo or drink water unless they needed to.
    maybe in classes of less motivated classes there is a greater tendency to disrupt and waste time

How did people survive before this water fad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

seavill wrote: »

I wouldnt bother replying to that Git Seavill . You get tightly wound people in teaching. Treat them like a car bomb-stay well back

Name calling, poster infracted, move on.
    mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement