Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City living

Options
  • 09-01-2016 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Do you think that Cork city would be a good place to retire to? We are currently living in Kerry and hate it, its so boring. Or would someone just outside Cork be a better idea, maybe Cobh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

What part of Kerry are you living in? I'm from Killarney and it's far from boring! I do miss the place, especially in the summer. But it's only an hours drive away.

Cork city is nice. Plenty going on. Depends what you consider fun. I worked in Cobh for a few months and it was the most depressing town I've ever been in. Hated the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Cobh is not great, check house prices there, cheapest in cork for a reason.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've always thought that Kinsale would be a nice place to retire to. Easy access to the city, but still loads to do on your doorstep.

Expensive though, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

for the love of God do not move from Kerry to Cobh :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Not Cobh, if you want cork city living then I would suggest one of the proper suburban areas such as bishopstown etc. this gives you easy access to the city on a frequent bus route, allowing you to go into the city for dinner and a drink etc and catch the bus home easily etc.

If you live in Cobh you would essentially be driving to any event etc. house prices in cork generally do reflect fairly on the areas, the bishopstown, wilton, Glasheen area for example has essentially every service within walking distance so price reflects this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Where are you in Kerry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Where are you in Kerry?

Killorglin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Killorglin.
    What do ye like to do? What hobbies have ye? That might give some ideas of where would be good for ye. Travel time to the city would be about the same for Middleton but it would be a much nicer place to live if ye wanted to be east of the city.
    When we were looking at houses years ago, Cobh was very affordable compared to other places, my wife booked a viewing at a show house and I refused to go, unless it was a free house in wasn't living there. There's one road in and out and no busses, just the train.
    There are some lovely places to live in Cork, I'm a city boy but living in the country and love it here but not everyone would like where I am. It might be an idea to rent in an area for a few months before committing to buying a house.
    Saying that, ye could love Cobh. Not everyone moves there because its cheaper.

.red. wrote: »
    What do ye like to do? What hobbies have ye? That might give some ideas of where would be good for ye. Travel time to the city would be about the same for Middleton but it would be a much nicer place to live if ye wanted to be east of the city.
    When we were looking at houses years ago, Cobh was very affordable compared to other places, my wife booked a viewing at a show house and I refused to go, unless it was a free house in wasn't living there. There's one road in and out and no busses, just the train.
    There are some lovely places to live in Cork, I'm a city boy but living in the country and love it here but not everyone would like where I am. It might be an idea to rent in an area for a few months before committing to buying a house.
    Saying that, ye could love Cobh. Not everyone moves there because its cheaper.

We like walking, going for a nice coffee and maybe a pint or two once a week. Thanks for the tip about Middleton. We don't have a massive budge circa 150-160 but are only looking for a 2 bed place.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Or try St Luke's, Montenotte, or Turner's Cross areas and you would not even need a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

We like walking, going for a nice coffee and maybe a pint or two once a week. Thanks for the tip about Middleton. We don't have a massive budge circa 150-160 but are only looking for a 2 bed place.

For a large town, then Middleton would be a good option. Plenty of walking options and a few golf courses within 20mins drive. Plenty of pubs to choose from and I'd imagine coffee shops too. Its about 20mins without traffic to the city and has a train running regular.
    Outside of a town like Middleton you also have plenty of rural options within 10/15mins drive. Cloyne, Aghada, Whitegate, Castlemartyr, Lady's Bridge etc would for me, be nicer places to live but only have the lives of Centras for shopping but would have lots of beaches and coastal walks on their doorsteps but close to the big town too. I'm not sure if these would be the right move tho as if you don't like Killorglin, they wouldn't be too different to it.
    Heading west you have places like Clonakilty which would be further from the city but also a lovely place to live.
    Ballincollig is another option, very close to everything but prices will be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'd say Kinsale would be perfect, especially for retirement. It's a bit expensive, but still an absolutely gorgeous area. Good access to the city and won't take too long by car. Fantastic town during the summer especially and looks fantastic, though there are quite a few tourists, but that just brings a lot of life to the town.

Middleton is okay, but getting to the city can be bothersome with traffic at peak hours and did flood very badly during the recent storms, so if you pick a house there, just check with the locals as to if the area flooded.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'd say Kinsale would be perfect, especially for retirement. It's a bit expensive, but still an absolutely gorgeous area. Good access to the city and won't take too long by car. Fantastic town during the summer especially and looks fantastic, though there are quite a few tourists, but that just brings a lot of life to the town.

Middleton is okay, but getting to the city can be bothersome with traffic at peak hours and did flood very badly during the recent storms, so if you pick a house there, just check with the locals as to if the area flooded.

Kinsale would be way out of our price range, thanks for the mention of the flooding I did not hear about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Can I suggest a half-way compromise? Kenmare would tick all your boxes. Beautiful setting, fantastic walking, great restaurants and pubs with the benefit of having a good selection of supermarkets on the edge of the town. A selection of properties to suit every budget too. Bantry would be another great spot. Book yourselves in for a cheap midweek break in places like these and see how you like them.

Kenmare is indeed a beautiful town BUT its back on the West Coast with terrible weather which is one of the main reasons we want to move away from Kerry.

Same reasons for Bantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Yeah id stay away from Cobh too very locked in syndrome there or like it is fine if you grew up there..

Midleton I wouldn't say is too different to Killorglin..

Clonakilty would be a good spot, there's great music venues, shopping and beaches best of everything.
    If you didn't want City city living Ballintemple or Douglas aren't bad spots, Ballintemple if you wanted to be closer to Town and then Douglas if you wanted mid way. Out of them all I would think Clon would be more exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Kenmare is indeed a beautiful town BUT its back on the West Coast with terrible weather which is one of the main reasons we want to move away from Kerry.

Same reasons for Bantry.

Well if the weather is the issue, then Spain is a better option. Cork ain't going to make much difference to Kerry really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭goochy

I live in youghal but not from there aside from some empty shops in town .lt's great . really nice people. Great range of property all price ranges. Only about 45mins to city . Handy for midleton. Waterford and dublin.

Loads of lively pubs . Nice hotel . All the supermarkets - aldi arriving shortly.
    dog track.perks family entertainment centre nice beach's gyms and swimming pools .
    it's the people that's best part though.

Ludo wrote: »
    Well if the weather is the issue, then Spain is a better option. Cork ain't going to make much difference to Kerry really.

If you look at the rainfall map of Ireland you will see there is a difference in the amount of rain that falls on the West Coast compared with Cork or the East Coast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, if it's minor differences in weather that bother you, then the south east is probably a bit better. Waterford or Wexford, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

If you look at the rainfall map of Ireland you will see there is a difference in the amount of rain that falls on the West Coast compared with Cork or the East Coast.

Maybe, but if terrible weather is the main reason as you now say then you are in the wrong country I'm afraid. Only marginal differences really.

If it is only a small part of the reason then you may get away with moving within Ireland and be happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Cork city is a great place to retire to, my retired relatives zip around with the free bus and rail passes, spend time in the coffee shops or going for a pint, and get all the discounted matinees for the opera house or everyman theaters. Jazz festival, film festival, summer festivals, loads on all year around. They head off ariund the country on the train to see their friends as well.

The only thing is finances really. Cork ain't cheap if you want some place on a decent bus route. There is loads to consider, like if you need a parking space, if you want a garden, if you need it to be a bungalow etc.

If you want to live in a commuter town, then carrigaline, midleton, ballincollig are all options, with smaller places like crosshaven or youghal having some great town life too. The only thing is, kenmare, killarney and tralee are great buzzing towns too, so if you weren't happy with those... I don't know. Maybe you are very rural and not actually in a town, maybe that's the problem. Or maybe you miss your friends/familiy where you were, so maybe moving back there is the right answer, rather than finding another place. It sems to be tricky to make friends as you get older, i reckon I haven't made a new friend in about 5 years for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

This would be ideal and within your budget.
    http://www.daft.ie/cork/houses-for-sale/sundays-well/9-lower-panorama-terrace-sundays-well-cork-1127279/

Lovely quiet part of the city and only about 20-30 min walk from city centre.Great view of city going by the photo and you would be above Fitzgeralds park which is great for a walk and you have a few coffee shops nearby.A no brainer from what I can see.Also some of the surrounding big houses in the Sunday's Well area can go for serious money.

Faith wrote: »
    Well, if it's minor differences in weather that bother you, then the south east is probably a bit better. Waterford or Wexford, maybe.

Its not really minor changes in weather if you check the rainfall map on Met Eireann.com. I have spoken to people who have moved from Kerry to Cork and they have all confirmed that it does not rain every day.

pwurple wrote: »
    Cork city is a great place to retire to, my retired relatives zip around with the free bus and rail passes, spend time in the coffee shops or going for a pint, and get all the discounted matinees for the opera house or everyman theaters. Jazz festival, film festival, summer festivals, loads on all year around. They head off ariund the country on the train to see their friends as well.

The only thing is finances really. Cork ain't cheap if you want some place on a decent bus route. There is loads to consider, like if you need a parking space, if you want a garden, if you need it to be a bungalow etc.

If you want to live in a commuter town, then carrigaline, midleton, ballincollig are all options, with smaller places like crosshaven or youghal having some great town life too. The only thing is, kenmare, killarney and tralee are great buzzing towns too, so if you weren't happy with those... I don't know. Maybe you are very rural and not actually in a town, maybe that's the problem. Or maybe you miss your friends/familiy where you were, so maybe moving back there is the right answer, rather than finding another place. It sems to be tricky to make friends as you get older, i reckon I haven't made a new friend in about 5 years for some reason.

I am in Killorglin which is a nice but very small town. I like Kenmare and Killarney but again its the West Coast and the weather is appalling.

The only difference in weather I've really noticed between Killarney and Cork is it tends to be a few degree hotter in Killarney a lot of the time. Especially in the summer. So the weather is actually better in Killarney I find. Rain is about the same. Can't speak for Killorglin.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    The only difference in weather I've really noticed between Killarney and Cork is it tends to be a few degree hotter in Killarney a lot of the time. Especially in the summer. So the weather is actually better in Killarney I find. Rain is about the same. Can't speak for Killorglin.

Met Eireann stats would not agree with you.

Okay, fair enough. But as someone who has lived in Kerry for many years and Cork for many years you really wouldn't notice the difference in weather. Moving to Cork to get away from the weather in Kerry makes absolutely no sense to me. I was in Killarney a good bit last summer on my days off and it was almost always a few degrees warmer. But even at that you would barely notice it.

However, I can understand why you wouldn't want to live in Killorglin, doesn't seem like the most exciting place.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Well as someone who has moved from Killorglin to Cork City I can safely that there is a big difference in lifestyle between the two. Cork is a great place to live, there's always something happening and everything is on your doorstep. It's a world away from a sleepy depressing little town like Killorglin.

The weather is still crap here though, can't say that there is any noticable difference in rain/cold between the two and I'd pop up to Killorglin a good bit.

• Advertisement

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Well as someone who has moved from Killorglin to Cork City I can safely that there is a big difference in lifestyle between the two. Cork is a great place to live, there's always something happening and everything is on your doorstep. It's a world away from a sleepy depressing little town like Killorglin.

The weather is still crap here though, can't say that there is any noticable difference in rain/cold between the two and I'd pop up to Killorglin a good bit.

I know of course the weather is still crap its Ireland but from the stats and looking at the forecast myself day after day it does not rain as much in Cork as Kerry!

Advertisement