Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City living

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I know of course the weather is still crap its Ireland but from the stats and looking at the forecast myself day after day it does not rain as much in Cork as Kerry!

You started off saying the reason you want to move is because you're bored and people answered in that context, but then you threw a weather curve-ball into the mix, and when people with experience of both areas told you the areas in question are pretty similar you disagree, and decide you know better. The reality is that if you want to move because of the weather you should be heading for the east coast (Dungarvan upwards). If you want to move because of boredom pick a livelier place. What you should really do is make an honest list of your requirements and do a proper bit of research. I'm not trying to be mean here, just realistic. Deciding to move to Cork just because you're bored and it's raining and you think it rains a little less there seems a little crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You started off saying the reason you want to move is because you're bored and people answered in that context, but then you threw a weather curve-ball into the mix, and when people with experience of both areas told you the areas in question are pretty similar you disagree, and decide you know better. The reality is that if you want to move because of the weather you should be heading for the east coast (Dungarvan upwards). If you want to move because of boredom pick a livelier place. What you should really do is make an honest list of your requirements and do a proper bit of research. I'm not trying to be mean here, just realistic. Deciding to move to Cork just because you're bored and it's raining and you think it rains a little less there seems a little crazy.

I wouldn't have thought so myself but the OP has produced stats to prove that it does, in fact, rain less in Cork that in Kerry. It's not an opinion.

What's with your smart ass attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I wouldn't have thought so myself but the OP has produced stats to prove that it does, in fact, rain less in Cork that in Kerry. It's not an opinion.

What's with your smart ass attitude?

Did you miss the "mean v realistic" comment? I'm trying to be helpful to op in focusing them towards what their requirements are. If anyone is introducing an element of smart-assery, it's you.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I know of course the weather is still crap its Ireland but from the stats and looking at the forecast myself day after day it does not rain as much in Cork as Kerry!

I don't disagree with the statistics but in my personal experience there is no noticeable difference on the ground. I feel like you would probably end up disapointed if that is a major factor but like I said before Cork is a fantastic city and there are plenty of other great reasons to move here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I am surprised at your unfriendly response and its not I think its based on Met Eireann stats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I am surprised at your unfriendly response and its not I think its based on Met Eireann stats.

Cork is a nice City to live, if you pick right area.
    Sunday's Well, Montenotte, St Lukes were good suggestions. Midleton, Dungarvan are nice towns with easy access to beaches and nice walking facilities. New decent length cycling line on way in Dungarvan.

Crosshaven, where I live is nice, but property is expensive and it's generally quite midweek. Some great walking and beaches.

If retiring I'd be inclined to look at cottage/bungalow for the long term.

On weather, Dublin is driest part of country, circa 800mm, Dungarvan 1200mm or so, West coast in many places gets 2000mm with a few black spots north of that.

Human memory is an awful guide for climate data. The rain meter/thermometer doesn't lie.

In my experience as a Crosshaven resident, there is a point where living in a tourist town gets annoying. Crosshaven as it hasn't a hotel, hasn't reached that but I wouldn't live in Kinsale as pretty as it is and with all the lovely cafes, bars and restaurants. Traffic on a Sunday evening to get home, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭goochy

As said before consider youghal . cork people can be stand offish till they know u but think because youghal is on border with Waterford people are very friendly. As said the only problem is too many empty shops in town. But still busy town. Many gud pubs. Hotels . Clubs for plotting. Beaches . Supermarkets. Bus to city regularly. U could buy a house for 150k or 500k great range of houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Much depends on your budget and what exactly you are looking for in terms of accommodation. I'd go for the suburbs but not outlying towns.

overmantle wrote: »
    Much depends on your budget and what exactly you are looking for in terms of accommodation. I'd go for the suburbs but not outlying towns.

We are looking for a small house, its only 2 of us.

We are looking for a small house, its only 2 of us.
    I presume that rules out an apartment? The reason I say that is because there is an increasing number of apartment style complexes in the city and suburbs. There are also town house developments (smaller houses). if you are used to living with an element of privacy, these might be difficult to adjust to. Having said that, a smaller house / bungalow, in some of the suburbs already mentioned, could be your answer. If you are open to renovating, this opens up a reasonable selection. Do you have to sell where you are or would you be a cash buyer? These will all dictate what you can afford and when.

• Advertisement

overmantle wrote: »
    I presume that rules out an apartment? The reason I say that is because there is an increasing number of apartment style complexes in the city and suburbs. There are also town house developments (smaller houses). if you are used to living with an element of privacy, these might be difficult to adjust to. Having said that, a smaller house / bungalow, in some of the suburbs already mentioned, could be your answer. If you are open to renovating, this opens up a reasonable selection. Do you have to sell where you are or would you be a cash buyer? These will all dictate what you can afford and when.

We are not keen on apartments as have lived in them before.

We do have to sell unfortunately but would be cash buyers eventually. We are too old to consider renovating.

We are not keen on apartments as have lived in them before.

We do have to sell unfortunately but would be cash buyers eventually. We are too old to consider renovating.

There should still be a good selection of smaller homes to choose from but it's possible that, even if you are downsizing, you will get less for your money in Cork suburbs than where you are in Killorglin. Outlying towns like Ballincollig and Carrigaline might also be worth considering.

On the other hand, if you have a little cash to spare and can make up the difference, if it was me, I would try for the suburbs. Depends on when you have news of the sale of your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The strange thing about Cork city is that property in the city centre is usually cheaper than similar sized properties in the suburbs or outlying towns. That's where I'd be looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

If it rains less in Cork than Kerry then god bless the Kingdom, we've had about 3 dry days in the last 3 months.

The strange thing about Cork city is that property in the city centre is usually cheaper than similar sized properties in the suburbs or outlying towns. That's where I'd be looking.

A couple of people have said that to me.

Advertisement