Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of help needed on DIYIng please

Options
  • 09-01-2016 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im looking to get into diy'ing my own juice. Ive been vaping for over 2 years and i have a fair understanding about vg pg nic etc etc.

What im looking to find out is what hardware i will need to start off with. I watched a few youtube tutorials and to me it seems a bit over kill, one guy actually rents out a lab for mixing his own juice i mean come on.
    Im hoping to keep this exclusivly to the box room in the house which at the moment is clean and clutter free and i can lock the door to keep the kids out.

The reason i am getting into this is because i am milling through the juice since i started sub ohming regularly. It was grand before when it was just the dripper, but with all the subohm tanks knocking around now its becomming very expensive for me to vape the 'premium' liquids that i prefer to vape.

Anyways i made a start . i bought 250ml of 6mg nic base liquid 60 40 vg pg, and 5 small bottles of concentrate from cloud house. These are just concentrates of my favourite liquids so i figured it would be a simple way to break me into the diy world (no mixing really, just add x amount of concentrate). This will save my pocket also while i research some more.

I would like to hear where people are ordering there flavours from. Im aware of inawera and a few others but im wondering what is the quality like. As i say i have a taste for decent quality liquid and my biggest fear is ordering in a load of flavours from one of these sites only to find out its dekang relabelled or something of similar quality. I would hate to put my self off this whole thing by having a bad expreience in the beginning

All help would be gladly recieved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

eirewhite wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im looking to get into diy'ing my own juice. Ive been vaping for over 2 years and i have a fair understanding about vg pg nic etc etc.

What im looking to find out is what hardware i will need to start off with. I watched a few youtube tutorials and to me it seems a bit over kill, one guy actually rents out a lab for mixing his own juice i mean come on.
    Im hoping to keep this exclusivly to the box room in the house which at the moment is clean and clutter free and i can lock the door to keep the kids out.

The reason i am getting into this is because i am milling through the juice since i started sub ohming regularly. It was grand before when it was just the dripper, but with all the subohm tanks knocking around now its becomming very expensive for me to vape the 'premium' liquids that i prefer to vape.

Anyways i made a start . i bought 250ml of 6mg nic base liquid 60 40 vg pg, and 5 small bottles of concentrate from cloud house. These are just concentrates of my favourite liquids so i figured it would be a simple way to break me into the diy world (no mixing really, just add x amount of concentrate). This will save my pocket also while i research some more.

I would like to hear where people are ordering there flavours from. Im aware of inawera and a few others but im wondering what is the quality like. As i say i have a taste for decent quality liquid and my biggest fear is ordering in a load of flavours from one of these sites only to find out its dekang relabelled or something of similar quality. I would hate to put my self off this whole thing by having a bad expreience in the beginning

All help would be gladly recieved.

Capella, the flavour apprentice/ the perfumers apprentice, flavour art, molinberry, tjuice/ vampire Vape ( both premixed concentrates) would be the most popular brands of flavouring off the top of my head. Can be had in Ireland from picknmixdiy, esmokeireland, and ezsmoke along with your pg/vg/nic base. Can be got elsewhere abroad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eirewhite

bd2012 wrote: »
    Capella, the flavour apprentice/ the perfumers apprentice, flavour art, molinberry, tjuice/ vamp Vape ( both premixed concentrates) would be the most popular brands of flavouring off the top of my head. Can be had in Ireland from picknmixdiy, esmokeireland, and ezsmoke along with your pg/vg/nic base. Can be got elsewhere abroad too.
    Thanks are they expensive to buy in ireland as opposed to abroad. Any downfalls with any of them off the top of your head, like long shipping times from certain companies or customs issues?

Thanks are they expensive to buy in ireland as opposed to abroad. Any downfalls with any of them off the top of your head, like long shipping times from certain companies or customs issues?

Probably is cheaper from abroad but to be honest I've only ever bought DIY stuff from within Ireland. My own DIY works out at about 10c per ml which is cheap enough for me. Have a quick google of the sites above and you'll get an idea of prices.

Edit. All the sites I mentioned above have next day delivery once you order early enough in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I have also recently gotten into DIY but I keep in very simple . I have only bought from Picknmixdiy , I buy the a few bottles of the 70vg/30pg 3mg nic and a few botles of flavourart concentrates . My tastes are simple, like myself :D , so it's easy to make up 100ml of lime for my ADV , and then 50 ml butterscotch , 50 ml caramel , 50 ml vanilla and I mix them together in the tank for evenings . Every now and again I add in another concentrate to the order to try out .

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

I saw that video of somebody renting out a lab it's a joke. Absolutely not necessary. You need the right tools and a steady table.

Check this guy out: picknmixdiy.com and try to find their starter kit!

Many on here have used them before including me, they're a Irish vendor from Ferns, Wexford. I even bought the starter kit I linked.

Everything you need including 2 bottles of concentrate of your choice.

I brought my costs down to roughly 68 cents per 10mls and my juices are consistent. A million times better than paying 4 euro+ in the rip of local shops!

• Advertisement

chipfox wrote: »
    I saw that video of somebody renting out a lab it's a joke. Absolutely not necessary. You need the right tools and a steady table.

Check this guy out: picknmixdiy.com and try to find their starter kit!

Many on here have used them before including me, they're a Irish vendor from Ferns, Wexford. I even bought the starter kit I linked.

Everything you need including 2 bottles of concentrate of your choice.

I brought my costs down to roughly 68 cents per 10mls and my juices are consistent. A million times better than paying 4 euro+ in the rip of local shops!

Picknmixdiy seems to be great. I was checking it out there it seems to be a one stop shop. I can only imagine what could be saved. Ive been paying up to 22euro a 15 or 20ml bottle in the local shops and getting 3 or 4 days out of them lately. Not too bad when i was buying a bit online but still dear

Once you have the gear you're more or less set. I wasn't arsed buying the individual bits from all over the place and the starter kit is everything you need.

All the bits aside, 100ml VG, 100ml PG and 20mls of flavours makes up 220ml juice and this is just the starter kit. I just use them for VG/PG and the flavours now. Always ship next day and arrives 1-2 days that.

Once you have the gear you're more or less set. I wasn't arsed buying the individual bits from all over the place and the starter kit is everything you need.

All the bits aside, 100ml VG, 100ml PG and 20mls of flavours makes up 220ml juice and this is just the starter kit. I just use them for VG/PG and the flavours now. Always ship next day and arrives 1-2 days that.

It sound brilliant, i think ill be banging in an order nexr week. On a side note what are doing for testing when you are trying to make up interesting flavours for your self. Do you make up small batches and try a couple of drops in a little 510 atty? Or do you make up the full 10ml bottle and chuck it if its not nice seems kind of wasteful

I started off just getting flavours I liked and tried them between 5% and 10%. Some were lovely, some weren't great. Still vaped them all though, not wasting anything. It's a bit of a slow process to figure out what you like, everyone is different. There are loads of recipes online but so far I've just stuck to making my own.

Like let's say 5% of The Flavour's Apprentice Ripe Strawberry, I put that down as fairly weak. Tried 10% and liked it, so I stuck with it. Once you know what %s you like I think that's the most important, then you can get into combining flavours. Otherwise it's too random and you'll never pick out what you like or hate.

I did actually start with 10ml bottles but I brought that down to 5ml now just in case I made something awful. I do a taste test on quad wrapped coils in my Kangertech RBA. They can hold some juice and seem perfect for a quick taste. Chances are you'll like most of what you make up anyway

I have an empty VG bottle that I cleaned out that has all my failed juices and it actually smells pretty nice. If I'm ever stuck for juices I might end up getting to it one day.

Don't forget to try the code "pick10" on their checkout it gets 10% off.

I started off just getting flavours I liked and tried them between 5% and 10%. Some were lovely, some weren't great. Still vaped them all though, not wasting anything. It's a bit of a slow process to figure out what you like, everyone is different. There are loads of recipes online but so far I've just stuck to making my own.

Like let's say 5% of The Flavour's Apprentice Ripe Strawberry, I put that down as fairly weak. Tried 10% and liked it, so I stuck with it. Once you know what %s you like I think that's the most important, then you can get into combining flavours. Otherwise it's too random and you'll never pick out what you like or hate.

I did actually start with 10ml bottles but I brought that down to 5ml now just in case I made something awful. I do a taste test on quad wrapped coils in my Kangertech RBA. They can hold some juice and seem perfect for a quick taste. Chances are you'll like most of what you make up anyway

I have an empty VG bottle that I cleaned out that has all my failed juices and it actually smells pretty nice. If I'm ever stuck for juices I might end up getting to it one day.

Don't forget to try the code "pick10" on their checkout it gets 10% off.

Ah yeah i never thought of just using an rba with a decent sized well. Thats great lots of helpful stuff in there. Im excited to get started now , roll on payday lol. Btw that vg bottle full of random juice could turn out to be the nicest thing you ever tasted haha. Never to be replicated lol

• Advertisement

imgur.com/gedgIqU

Probably 40ml of 20 different recipes with old unused juices thrown in for good measure. No idea what it's like but it actually smells good now.

Just find a mix that you can comfortably vape and mix on the side. It can take a bit to find good mixes but once you're spending **** all on something that's pretty nice that you make yourself you won't really care anymore.

I got Strawberry Ripe and Vanilla Custard with my starter kit and took me 3 mixes to find a good one. Just used that as my all day vape and experimented on the side. Now I ended up with a Blueberry Wild and Passionfruit mix that I make 50mls of at a time

Good luck!

imgur.com/gedgIqU

Probably 40ml of 20 different recipes with old unused juices thrown in for good measure. No idea what it's like but it actually smells good now.

Just find a mix that you can comfortably vape and mix on the side. It can take a bit to find good mixes but once you're spending **** all on something that's pretty nice that you make yourself you won't really care anymore.

I got Strawberry Ripe and Vanilla Custard with my starter kit and took me 3 mixes to find a good one. Just used that as my all day vape and experimented on the side. Now I ended up with a Blueberry Wild and Passionfruit mix that I make 50mls of at a time

Good luck!

Blueberry and passionfruit sounds nice. Thanks for the well wishes i will post up my progress somewhere on here in a few weeks after i have done a few mixes

Just a quick bump for you since I'm making an order. Someone posted in the sticky thread that picknmix are doing 25% off right now!

"pick25" if you manage to get in.

Just a quick bump for you since I'm making an order. Someone posted in the sticky thread that picknmix are doing 25% off right now!

"pick25" if you manage to get in.

I seen that on the receipe thread. Great time for me to order so. Thanks for the heads up !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

I use empty screw top wine bottles cleaned real good for 1/2 L mixes and it's perfect, got some measure yolks, syringes and 10/20/30 ml bottles and also re-use glass dropper bottles.
    Just make sure you clean everything real good after use and it will be as good as a rented lab

I think I have a DIY mix that I could happily make up a big batch of now. Have a washed out kiddi pharmaton bottle, think it's 200ml. Should have left the sticker on until I was mixing!

Was always too impatient to steep but made a load of new mixes up with my recent order and let a strawberry custard one sit for nearly 2 weeks. Amazing how it tastes better over time even though I don't fully understand it

Got all my diy gear yesterday and had a bit of fun mixing a few batches last night. I have a question that i hope someone can help me with though.
    The juice i mixed up is making me feel dizzy and light headed and giving me a headache. It feels very much like too much nic but the throath his is not that strong , just the same as what im used to and what i imagine it should feelblike for my target nic 6mg.
    Now i used an e liquod calculator online and im using picknmix nic pg and vg and tfa flavours.

Here is what i made up

Target nic 6mg, vg pg 65 35

Nic used 54mg/ml vg pg 50 50

Flavours:
    Harvest berry 10% - 1ml
    Blueberry wild 6% - 0.6ml
    Koolada 3.5% - 0.35ml
    Ripe bananna 1% -0.1ml
    Sweet cream 5% -0.5ml

Nic base 1.11ml
    Vg 5.94ml
    Pg .04ml

So thats it. Now i was very carefull mixing this i used two seperate syringes for nic base and flavours. And flushed out the syringes regularly throughout.

I hope somone can point me in the right direction as im finding it a bit of a downer that im having a bad first experience with diying.

On a side note, this turned out to be very nice indeed, if only i could vape the damn thing with out feeling like crap

Got all my diy gear yesterday and had a bit of fun mixing a few batches last night. I have a question that i hope someone can help me with though.
    The juice i mixed up is making me feel dizzy and light headed and giving me a headache. It feels very much like too much nic but the throath his is not that strong , just the same as what im used to and what i imagine it should feelblike for my target nic 6mg.
    Now i used an e liquod calculator online and im using picknmix nic pg and vg and tfa flavours.

Here is what i made up

Target nic 6mg, vg pg 65 35

Nic used 54mg/ml vg pg 50 50

Flavours:
    Harvest berry 10% - 1ml
    Blueberry wild 6% - 0.6ml
    Koolada 3.5% - 0.35ml
    Ripe bananna 1% -0.1ml
    Sweet cream 5% -0.5ml

Nic base 1.11ml
    Vg 5.94ml
    Pg .04ml

So thats it. Now i was very carefull mixing this i used two seperate syringes for nic base and flavours. And flushed out the syringes regularly throughout.

I hope somone can point me in the right direction as im finding it a bit of a downer that im having a bad first experience with diying.

On a side note, this turned out to be very nice indeed, if only i could vape the damn thing with out feeling like crap

Your symptoms sound very like too much nic but your measurements of nic look ok. You wouldn't have picked up the wrong bottle by mistake and added more nic?

Other than that I presume you mean .4 pg not .04? If it was .04 then your measurement for it is off and you have a stronger nic solution than you think. Flavours are coming in around 25%, some may say that's a little high and use 15-20% as a rule of thumb but that shouldn't be affecting you like that.

It really sounds like over-nic to me

Your symptoms sound very like too much nic but your measurements of nic look ok. You wouldn't have picked up the wrong bottle by mistake and added more nic?

Other than that I presume you mean .4 pg not .04? If it was .04 then your measurement for it is off and you have a stronger nic solution than you think. Flavours are coming in around 25%, some may say that's a little high and use 15-20% as a rule of thumb but that shouldn't be affecting you like that.

It really sounds like over-nic to me

Sorry that was a typo i meant .4 as in just under half a ml. I dont think i picked up the wrong bottle as i had the missus beside me double checking everything with me as i went along , and i was careful enough to lay all the bottles out in a line and remove each as it was done.
    The only thing i can think of is that i forgot to shake the nic base before i used it

Sorry that was a typo i meant .4 as in just under half a ml. I dont think i picked up the wrong bottle as i had the missus beside me double checking everything with me as i went along , and i was careful enough to lay all the bottles out in a line and remove each as it was done.
    The only thing i can think of is that i forgot to shake the nic base before i used it

I'm stumped then. I presume you gave the mix a good shake afterwards. Haven't used Koolada so others might advise in a % for it.

Only other thing that I can think of is the flavours need a little steeping to mellow and blend (creams and custards definitely do benefit from it).

Hopefully someone else will pop in with further advice.

You can always make up another wee bottle in the mean time. Try a simple fruit mix maybe, and try an overall flavour % of around 20% and see how you get on.

Best of luck. It's all learning. I remember my first mixes were vile!

• Advertisement

I'm stumped then. I presume you gave the mix a good shake afterwards. Haven't used Koolada so others might advise in a % for it.

Only other thing that I can think of is the flavours need a little steeping to mellow and blend (creams and custards definitely do benefit from it).

Hopefully someone else will pop in with further advice.

You can always make up another wee bottle in the mean time. Try a simple fruit mix maybe, and try an overall flavour % of around 20% and see how you get on.

Best of luck. It's all learning. I remember my first mixes were vile!

Yeah was planning to try that mix again and adjust accordingly , going to try a tobacco blend today also.
    Btw anyone who can reccomed something nice to go with tobacco would be helping alot. Not into mixing fruits or menthol with tobacco. Maybe nuts or bread type flavours, not sure open to suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

eirewhite wrote:
    Yeah was planning to try that mix again and adjust accordingly , going to try a tobacco blend today also. Btw anyone who can reccomed something nice to go with tobacco would be helping alot. Not into mixing fruits or menthol with tobacco. Maybe nuts or bread type flavours, not sure open to suggestion

I bought a maple syrup and tobacco juice a while back that was lovely, for the life of me I can't remember the brand but with the right balance, the smokey/sweet flavour works so well

nkav86 wrote: »
    I bought a maple syrup and tobacco juice a while back that was lovely, for the life of me I can't remember the brand but with the right balance, the smokey/sweet flavour works so well

Cool i have honey here, i might substitute that in for the maple syrup

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

eirewhite wrote:
    Cool i have honey here, i might substitute that in for the maple syrup

Hope it works out, find myself craving tobacco flavours lately but they can be too harsh so I like to sweeten them a touch

nkav86 wrote: »
    Hope it works out, find myself craving tobacco flavours lately but they can be too harsh so I like to sweeten them a touch

You know what, i dont even think im craving a tobacco flavour. I seem to crave the idea of a tobacco flavour and always end uo disapointed. Anyways ill give it a shot again. I have a romantic idea in my head of having a vape on a nice tobacco today with a couple of beers fet up football on. Bet it will be a disaster haha

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

Hi eirewhite don't be too put off as a beginner in diy mixing - it's great once you get a mix you like right.

Shake nicotine and flavour bottles very well before use.

The flavour percentage you used do seem very high to me but this could be down to the particular brand/mix. I would say as a beginner try a few single flavour mixes to get a feel for things.

I use syringes for PG/VG/NIC and drops for flavours. I started by using syringes for flavours but this was becoming a pain (cleaning and many syringes for different flavours etc) - I now just use drops and find this works out very well for me. I make 30ml to 100ml batches in glass jars with airtight lids.

8mm wrote: »
    Hi eirewhite don't be too put off as a beginner in diy mixing - it's great once you get a mix you like right.

Shake nicotine and flavour bottles very well before use.

The flavour percentage you used do seem very high to me but this could be down to the particular brand/mix. I would say as a beginner try a few single flavour mixes to get a feel for things.

I use syringes for PG/VG/NIC and drops for flavours. I started by using syringes for flavours but this was becoming a pain (cleaning and many syringes for different flavours etc) - I now just use drops and find this works out very well for me. I make 30ml to 100ml batches in glass jars with airtight lids.

Thanks for the advice. I think alot of it may have been down to not shaking the bottles tbh. I made another 3 10ml batches today and they dont seem to be making me feel as rough. I also think some of them may need to settle or even steep.

On the plus side i just finished a very nice tobacco. I would be interested to see what others think, first impressions for me are that its just right for what i like, not too rough at all and no fruit or menthol but sweet cream and nutty notes.

80/20 vg pg blend nic 6 mg

Red oak tfa 6%
    Acetyl pyrazine tfa 4%
    Bavarian cream tfa 3%
    Brown sugar tfa 1%

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

Thanks for the advice. I think alot of it may have been down to not shaking the bottles tbh. I made another 3 10ml batches today and they dont seem to be making me feel as rough. I also think some of them may need to settle or even steep.

On the plus side i just finished a very nice tobacco. I would be interested to see what others think, first impressions for me are that its just right for what i like, not too rough at all and no fruit or menthol but sweet cream and nutty notes.

80/20 vg pg blend nic 6 mg

Red oak tfa 6%
    Acetyl pyrazine tfa 4%
    Bavarian cream tfa 3%
    Brown sugar tfa 1%

That's a lot of Acetyl pyrazine but AP is a very useful flavour and I've been using it to create interesting background notes and find it works well in small amounts. You may find the taste of it gets a bit annoying after a while when used at more then 1%-2%.

But here lies the fun in mixing, tweaking a flavour till it's right.

8mm wrote: »
    That's a lot of Acetyl pyrazine but AP is a very useful flavour and I've been using it to create interesting background notes and find it works well in small amounts. You may find the taste of it gets a bit annoying after a while when used at more then 1%-2%.

But here lies the fun in mixing, tweaking a flavour till it's right.

Yeah its a bit of craic alright. And the best fun of all is not spending money lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

Does sound like you messed up the nic.
    I nearly made that mistake first time using pure nic. making 40mg instead of 4mg

Advertisement