Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of help needed on DIYIng please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eirewhite

JH_raheny wrote: »
    Does sound like you messed up the nic.
    I nearly made that mistake first time using pure nic. making 40mg instead of 4mg

Ok after two days this **** is still giving me headaches. I defo dont think i have messed up the nic. Ive made 6 bottles now and there all the same . is it possible because im vapeing high vg juice that the nic is not mixing well of im getting a strong blast of nic all together sometimes cos ita not blending with the vg. Or . is it possible picknmix labelled the bottle wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

eirewhite wrote: »
    Ok after two days this **** is still giving me headaches. I defo dont think i have messed up the nic. Ive made 6 bottles now and there all the same . is it possible because im vapeing high vg juice that the nic is not mixing well of im getting a strong blast of nic all together sometimes cos ita not blending with the vg. Or . is it possible picknmix labelled the bottle wrong

This is how I mix:

1. Clean sterile glass jar.
    2. Add VG
    3. Add PG
    4. Add NIC
    5. Boiled water in bowl. Place glass jar with mix in bowl. Let heat for a few minutes.
    6. Use milk frother to mix VG+PG+NIC
    7. Add flavour drops.
    8. Use milk frother to mix full blend.
    9. Cover jar with lid and place on CH radiator for an hour or two.
    10. Into cupboard for steeping.

VG needs to be warmed up or you won't get an even mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

For a first mix I'd probably let the bottle sit in warm water for a while and just shake it loads. If the bottle is full it's very hard to get it to mix. Try 5ml batches in the 10ml bottles.

I don't see any reason the stuff should be giving you headaches, it's the same stuff in all juices.

The high VG could be giving hotspots if it's not mixing properly but it's hard to know really.

Any flavours that you didn't use before? Those %s look really really high to me.

chipfox wrote: »
    For a first mix I'd probably let the bottle sit in warm water for a while and just shake it loads. If the bottle is full it's very hard to get it to mix. Try 5ml batches in the 10ml bottles.

I don't see any reason the stuff should be giving you headaches, it's the same stuff in all juices.

The high VG could be giving hotspots if it's not mixing properly but it's hard to know really.

Any flavours that you didn't use before? Those %s look really really high to me.

For today and most of yesterday ive been vaping on 6mg nic 80 20 vg pg

Flavours are
    Harvest berry 8% tfa
    Blueberry wild 4% tfa
    Menthol 1% fa
    Sweet cream 5% tfa

I shook the crap out of it at intervals today and yesterday and i also mixed it by sucking it up with a syringe and squirting back in vigerously a number of times, i then let it sit in a warm water bath for 2 hours.
    The weirdest thing about this is lets say i did mess up the nic (which i dont think i did) im still not getting much throath hit so it couldnt be that high. Another thing worth noteing, the vapour production is not what i expected from a hig vg mix

I only even use 50/50 mixes, maybe it just takes a good bit longer to mix properly with high VG. I got the 50mg juice from picknmix too.

I'd say you could mix the VG and PG bottles either. Unless you accidentally got the 72mg nic or something. Maybe get a cheapo milk frother for the mixes and wait for the bubbles to settle out

• Advertisement

I only even use 50/50 mixes, maybe it just takes a good bit longer to mix properly with high VG. I got the 50mg juice from picknmix too.

I'd say you could mix the VG and PG bottles either. Unless you accidentally got the 72mg nic or something. Maybe get a cheapo milk frother for the mixes and wait for the bubbles to settle out

Yea i might try again today. Would like to get a handle on this before i go back to work tomorrow. Seen a guy on youtube made a home made frother from the plastic piece of a cotton bud and stuck it in the drill and it worked well so might try that

Would probably work just as well. Maybe try knock down the VG at least till you get by.

If your doubting the nic try a simple mix with no flavour.

50/50 6mg and test. Can't get more basic then that.

No point shaking cold mixes, specially with high VG. Needs to be warm and runny.

You can get a frother from Argos for under €10. Your in danger of contaminating your juice with junk, a frother uses stainless steel.

Ok ive done a simple mix to start narrowing down What the problem is. Ive cut down the vg and the amoint of flavours. So its just a 50 50 blend. Nic is 6 and its 12% strawberry ripe, 5% sweet cream.
    Will see how this goes. I mixed the hellnout of it after i added every ingredient and i also shook the bottles well. Its sitting in a warm water bath for the past half hour . so im going to re wick the rba on one of my subtanks while im waiting and see how she vapes in an hour or so.
    Hoping for better things this time

Well hope it works out for you. :)

Not really a simple mix and I really think that's ott on flavour. Where are you getting those % from?

Strawberry Ripe is mostly mixed around 5%. Also I would be wary of Sweet Cream above 2%.

Start with less flavour - it's easy to increase it if a mix needs it. Using too much flavour can mute a mix specially with creams, even fruits will taste harsh with too much.

Be careful what you see online so much rubbish with little understanding of how taste works.

• Advertisement

8mm wrote: »
    Well hope it works out for you. :)

Not really a simple mix and I really think that's ott on flavour. Where are you getting those % from?

Strawberry Ripe is mostly mixed around 5%. Also I would be wary of Sweet Cream above 2%.

Start with less flavour - it's easy to increase it if a mix needs it. Using too much flavour can mute a mix specially with creams, even fruits will taste harsh with too much.

Be careful what you see online so much rubbish with little understanding of how taste works.

Ive read alot of people saying that strawberry ripe is a weak flavour and needs 10% and above, i then picked 5% cream as i felt that sounded about right according to home much creamyness i would personally like to have with a strawberry vape. I am almost sure i read on picknmix it says start with five percent and then adjust from there . anyway i do tend to do these things backwards so i will most likely find my way with this the hard way. Thays usually the way i do it. Its also hard to filter the rubbish from the experienced advice when you have little knowledge . i appreciate the guidance i have been offered on here though. Its great to see so many people willing to take the time to reply and help out

I find strawberry ripe fairly week but after leaving it for 2 weeks+ it does get stronger. I think the warm water kind of screws the taste and makes it evaporate off. Most annoying thing about DIY is steeping by far

If I don't know a flavour I go here http://e-liquid-recipes.com and check the median amount used. It helps get a starting point (wisdom of crowds type of thing). I'll start with half that and see the effect, it's really helpful to understand a flavour this way.

With taste it's often the small amounts of supporting flavours in a mix that can make a key flavour pop. It's the same with food. Take cream for example, a small 1/4 teaspoon tastes creamy in the mouth and a big tablespoon just makes mouth feel fuller and more coated. Want a creamier cream add some vanilla and sugar even a touch of salt.

I haven't done much with strawberry in mixes yet but yeah I hear the difficulties. Raspberry is easier to work with and very nice too, really good with creams. I might try playing with strawberry and use some raspberry as a kicker. With food lemon and sugar can kick strawberry forward though I'd say need to be careful with the lemon.

Do you have a nice raspberry? The TFA one is not great at all. Needs to breath a lot to get the windowlene taste out of it and even still it's not great. Have FA's one now but smells quite similar.

Do you have a nice raspberry? The TFA one is not great at all. Needs to breath a lot to get the windowlene taste out of it and even still it's not great. Have FA's one now but smells quite similar.

I have the TFA raspberry. Yeah thought it was mank too when I first tried it. I was using way too much when I started. I would say it's range is .5% to 2%. It does calm down as it steeps but in that % range it's good after 24/48 hours steep.

It surprised me that some flavours have a tight window where they work and go to hell real fast if outside of it.

A trick to check a flavour out is use 10ml of water and add a drop of flavour to see it's potential by tasting.

At that it seems to have no taste. It's more like it only has a smell even at high %

Fruits are often about smell and taste comes from the bitter/sweet parts. Add a sweetener such as Ethyl Maltol and some vanilla too.

Will do, just got my EM from picknmix last week and haven't used it. I have the same complaint about TFA's ripe banana so will try the sweetener.

Cool - be careful with the EM a small amount goes a long way. Start with .5% and work up.

A note on vanilla - I find this stretches out the aftertaste and allows flavours to linger a bit longer. I've been using FA's Vanilla Bourbon a lot to good effect at around 1%.

I'm a bit of a minimalist and want to find the least flavour needed for effect. Taste tends to build up the more consumed and taste buds / smell just get worn out if overloaded (I find).

Advertisement