Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Robbins-life coaches

Options
  • 09-01-2016 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

I see Tony robbins is in ireland. 3000 people attended. I was forced to go to one of his conferences many years ago and i thought it was all buzz words and cliche...whats your opinion on him or others

For the individual courses it can easily cost 1000 dollars amonth...

Do you think there all waffle..do they actually make a difference to people

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

I'd imagine they make a difference to Tony Robbins anyway....ca-ching...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If I can't motivate myself, Tony Robbins, Tim Robbins, Mark Robins or Batman & Robin sure as hell won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

kfallon wrote: »
    If I can't motivate myself, Tony Robbins, Tim Robbins, Mark Robins or Batman & Robin sure as hell won't!

Would a Redbreast help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Specialun wrote: »
    I see Tony robbins is in ireland. 3000 people attended. I was forced to go to one of his conferences many years ago and i thought it was all buzz words and cliche...whats your opinion on him or others

For the individual courses it can easily cost 1000 dollars amonth...

Do you think there all waffle..do they actually make a difference to people

I underlined the answer. Essentially he does blather and vague nonsense, combined with various exercises to get endorphins flowing and people feel leaving pumped up, which could be achieved at a gospel church, workout, good gig and so on. Snake oil sales, essentially.

Also
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/23/us/nearly-two-dozen-injured-at-tony-robbins-seminar.html?_r=0
    Somebody used the wrong wood for the aul fire walk trick, afaik.

He looks like Joey Tribiani from Friends...

"How you doing?"...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I'd go if it was Tony Robinson speaking.

Robbin them blind..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

This "motivational" guff has been parodied so many times (Patrick Swayze's character in Donnie Darko being my favourite) that I can't believe people still take it seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Robbin them blind..
    A fool & his money are soon parted...

Life coach?

Says it all.

I presume he talks a lot about mindfulness, the latest quick fix fad for God Help Us cases who usually need a lot more than someone with no qualifications to diagnose anything telling them to meditate once a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I think a good cardio work out to upbeat music would achieve the same level of positivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭poeticjustice

I wouldn't pay that sort of money to see him but I do think he's good.

He can be very helpful to lots of people but it depends on the individual and their attititude.

I wouldn't pay that sort of money to see him but I do think he's good.

He can be very helpful to lots of people but it depends on the individual and their attititude

In the same way as Astrology, Hypnotism and Homeopathy? The easily suggestible?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Erra these things are normally handy to pick up a tip or two that could help your personally or professionally. It's the people that live by it and get sucked into it that I don't understand.

Went to a similar thing a few years with Jordan Belfort (Wolf of Wall St) before the movie came out and it was a waste of time.
    They had a room excercise where you have to go around and deliberately say hi to folk with a downbeat depressed manner/tone and then later in an upbeat one and comment on the difference. I wasn't paying attention to what he was was saying and went around happy as Larry. Confused pretty much everyone.
    Snuck out the door after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'd imagine they make a difference to Tony Robbins anyway....ca-ching...

Old banana hands worth $480 million apparently.

http://time.com/money/4103684/tony-robbins-money-secrets/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

You can make a lot of money selling/marketing vaguely worded bullshít - there are a lot of people dumb enough to be hooked in. It's a form of con-artistry, where the person doing it has complete plausible deniability, so long as they appear to 'believe' the shíte they're spouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Snake oil, charlatans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I often wonder why they don't take their own advice and have to advise others to make a living....

Reminds me of stuff like this.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41R97Gc7rSL._SS130_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

It's all pure bolloxology, anyone who pays to go see someone like this needs their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I saw a couple of videos from inside the "conference" in a what's app group as my brother attended.

My mum asked if he was a comedian.

I said he was certainly the one laughing - all the way to the bank.

Wouldn't float my boat at all - snake oil salesman IMO - but my brother gets a lot out of his books and the conference and is doing really well in his professional life.

• Advertisement

I saw a couple of videos from inside the "conference" in a what's app group as my brother attended.

My mum asked if he was a comedian.

I said he was certainly the one laughing - all the way to the bank.

Wouldn't float my boat at all - snake oil salesman IMO - but my brother gets a lot out of his books and the conference and is doing really well in his professional life.

Like Dumbo's feather it's probably not the books themselves that are helping him. Whatever works for him though I suppose but there's probably cheaper ways to achieve the same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Its all bollocks.
    I looked in to it a few years ago. A lot make their money from corporate seminars. Giving their speil to a vast number of employees who are forced to attend. The normal 1-to-1 lifecoaching doesn't bring in much unless you managed to get big clients.

It's also a slippery persons type of game. Almost like the bollocks you can get out of marketers. You just need to be that type of jerk to begin with. Also with tons of charisma to boot to be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭poeticjustice

In the same way as Astrology, Hypnotism and Homeopathy? The easily suggestible?

You've never been motivated my someone else's words? If you have, would that make you easily suggestable?

The jargon can be a bit moronic but a lot of the ideas are good if you are open to the idea of improving yourself. If someone goes in thinking it's a load of nonsense then obviously you wont get anything out of it.

^^^ my employer has sent us on quite a few "life skills" type seminars.

If you are an employer, please, for the love of God, do not waste time and money getting one of these con artists to talk to your staff. Completely and utterly useless I assure you. If you want to improve productivity simply treat your employees like human beings. Show them some honesty and say thanks occasionally. No expensive bullshít gurus required.

^^^ my employer has sent us on quite a few "life skills" type seminars.

If you are an employer, please, for the love of God, do not waste time and money getting one of these con artists to talk to your staff. Completely and utterly useless I assure you. If you want to improve productivity simply treat your employees like human beings. Show them some honesty and say thanks occasionally. No expensive bullshít gurus required.

Hmm, that sounds dangerously like communism to me....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I was very surprised to see so many bald heads and grey haired people in the audience, I was sure it was the kind of thing that you'd want to be very young and very naive to be taken in by.I'd love to hear why anyone decided to go, is it to hear Tony or to network with other entrepreneurs?

The equally disturbing fact that we have spawned a few of our very own Tony Robbins recently, life style and success gurus who have taken off for no apparent reason on Facebook. One Galway based guy has a conference in Dublin this weekend attended by over 300 willing payees. He goes to Tony Robbins conferences and others and comes back to disseminate what he's learned and has added to himself.He says this time 4 years ago he was broke with nothing , then he started this, now he's hugely popular. I saw a post from his Facebook from before Christmas where he was writing goals to have fulfilled by 2016, one was buying his second house, and the multitudes were thanking it, the house some of them would be paying for by going to the conference! Now he seems like a nice guy but really,you have to wonder if we really are this lost as a generation that we need these "gurus"?

Custardpi wrote: »
    Hmm, that sounds dangerously like communism to me....:mad:

Well obviously once your employees' productivity drops off you can compact them into briquettes and burn them as fuel to reduce your energy bill and carbon footprint.

It's also a slippery persons type of game. Almost like the bollocks you can get out of marketers. You just need to be that type of jerk to begin with. Also with tons of charisma to boot to be successful.

Like the way people who work in HR or recruitment are always appalling cuñts.

you have to wonder if we really are this lost as a generation that we need these "gurus"?

Is it the case that even though we've been moving towards a secular society there are still many of us who need the reassuring sight & sound of a wise man who has access to "The Answer"? The Church provided that at one point, are these sort of "gurus" performing the same role?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

kfallon wrote: »

BUT ANDY DUFRESNE MAN !! HE DIDN'T CRAWL THROUGH ALL THE **** FOR NOTHING !!!!!!!!!

Advertisement