Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Robbins-life coaches

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

BUT ANDY DUFRESNE MAN !! HE DIDN'T CRAWL THROUGH ALL THE **** FOR NOTHING !!!!!!!!!

Ha, imagine a follow up film to Shawshank Redemption which features Andy in his new career as a life coach - "be the rock hammer of change in your life!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

kfallon wrote: »
    If I can't motivate myself, Tony Robbins, Tim Robbins, Mark Robins or Batman & Robin sure as hell won't!

BUT ANDY DUFRESNE MAN !! HE DIDN'T CRAWL THROUGH ALL THE **** FOR NOTHING !!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I was very surprised to see so many bald heads and grey haired people in the audience, I was sure it was the kind of thing that you'd want to be very young and very naive to be taken in by.I'd love to hear why anyone decided to go, is it to hear Tony or to network with other entrepreneurs?

The equally disturbing fact that we have spawned a few of our very own Tony Robbins recently, life style and success gurus who have taken off for no apparent reason on Facebook. One Galway based guy has a conference in Dublin this weekend attended by over 300 willing payees. He goes to Tony Robbins conferences and others and comes back to disseminate what he's learned and has added to himself.He says this time 4 years ago he was broke with nothing , then he started this, now he's hugely popular. I saw a post from his Facebook from before Christmas where he was writing goals to have fulfilled by 2016, one was buying his second house, and the multitudes were thanking it, the house some of them would be paying for by going to the conference! Now he seems like a nice guy but really,you have to wonder if we really are this lost as a generation that we need these "gurus"?

Pat Divilly?

He's a nice guy with a nice message, raises a lot of money for charity etc.
    He has a great life for himself now.
    He owned a gym in galwayt for a good while after coming back to Galway after failing to make it as a trainer in Dublin, but then got into online "body transformations" through Facebook groups and into life coaching, goal setting and mindset stuff.

Fair play to him.
    I wish him well.
    But I'd never go to one of those things - far too "wanky" and BS like for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I liked him when he was Baldrick but haven't really kept up to date on what he's been doing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Bleeve in urself. Gib monies plox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Bleeve in urself. Gib monies plox.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

razorblunt wrote: »
    Went to a similar thing a few years with Jordan Belfort (Wolf of Wall St) before the movie came out and it was a waste of time.
    They had a room excercise where you have to go around and deliberately say hi to folk with a downbeat depressed manner/tone and then later in an upbeat one and comment on the difference. I wasn't paying attention to what he was was saying and went around happy as Larry. Confused pretty much everyone.
    Snuck out the door after that.

I was at the Pendulum conference in CCD yesterday (I was invited and didn't pay for my ticket!!) and this exact "exercise" was part of the 5 hour performance from TR. He did have some important things to say (Stay positive, focus on what you can influence, don't get sucked into negative thoughts and ignore things you can't influence plus act for positive reasons rather than being afraid to fail etc) but nothing I haven't heard, read or simply worked out for myself years ago.

The afternoon was a hybrid of lunatic American style preacher where TR would ask a rhetorical question like "Do you want to be happy? and then command the audience "if you do say aye" with people encouraged to stand up, raise their arms in the air and shout "AYE!!" and rock star performance with loads of upbeat music to dance to where TR clapped and encouraged everyone to "lift off the roof" and ended with a 10 minute "prime" session where TR showed us how to start each day by doing a 3.3 minute breathing exercise with eyes closed then think/visualise for 3.3 minutes about 3 positive things we are grateful for and finish off with 3.3 minutes of visualising 3 things we want to achieve.

Biggest load of bollock$ I've ever been at and I witnessed first hand the mass hysteria of the moving statue in Ballinaspittle!!

Some of the morning presenters were interesting particularly the Danish guy (Rasmus Ankersen) with the sports background who spoke about identifying talent and Jamil Qureshi who spoke about the importance of positive rather than negative motivation i.e. focus on achieving the benefits of success rather than acting on the basis of fear of failure but Gina London was embarrassing as she basically spent 2 minutes telling her life story and how her father who was a corporate pilot died one foggy night. Unfortunately Joe Schmidt (who I admire greatly and have heard speak well before) just didn't deliver anything. He told a coule of mildly amusing anecdotes about when he was a teacher back in NZ and how important it is for senior players to interact and recognise junior/young players (he introduced the idea of everyone in Leinster shaking hands with everyone else first thing each morning) but he was a bit laboured and hummed and hawhed a lot. He's busy and probably agreed to do this thinking the usual few anecdotes would suffice but in this environment they didn't.

All I can say is that it was a waste of a day for me and the only mitigating factor is I didn't pay the €595 ticket price myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fools and their money .............

Custardpi wrote: »
    Is it the case that even though we've been moving towards a secular society there are still many of us who need the reassuring sight & sound of a wise man who has access to "The Answer"? The Church provided that at one point, are these sort of "gurus" performing the same role?

Funnily enough I think the answer is "yes".

There were two people near me yesterday openly crying at the end of the show. I'm far from qualified to make this comment but having seen their behaviour (they were 10 feet from me) during the show I would be confident they are very "needy" and constantly lurching from one guru inspired solution lifes problems to another.

I guess there will always be a cohort of people who for whatever reason need some form of life "leader" to follow as they simply don't have the confidence, experience or skills to figure $h1t out for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Pat Divilly?

He's a nice guy with a nice message, raises a lot of money for charity etc.
    He has a great life for himself now.
    He owned a gym in galwayt for a good while after coming back to Galway after failing to make it as a trainer in Dublin, but then got into online "body transformations" through Facebook groups and into life coaching, goal setting and mindset stuff.

Fair play to him.
    I wish him well.
    But I'd never go to one of those things - far too "wanky" and BS like for me

Fair play to him yes, I don't think he's a bad guy, not even sure he's taking advantage, but what does his popularity represent? As you say he's a fitness trainer, helped people with weight and fitness issues and now he's a business, success and general life guru. I've a problem with some of his posts about conferences along the line of "so many tears today, so amazing to see 100 lives change in a day in front of my eyes". I'm just very surprised that sort of thing is resonating with young Irish people and I wonder why.
    He's also a clever marketer with his eye on a much bigger prize that Irish money, he says he's going to meet Richard Branson soon on Necker Island.

Tony Robbins also has a very positive message on the issue of charity and does great work in that regard, from screen shots of twitter yesterday he was telling people that if your unhappy or unsuccessful it's because you've made your life only about you and that giving and helping others is the only way towards prosperity and fulfilment. Sound message and certainly raking in the mega bucks for Tony!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I thought he was brilliant in Blackadder.

Fair play to him yes, I don't think he's a bad guy, not even sure he's taking advantage, but what does his popularity represent? As you say he's a fitness trainer, helped people with weight and fitness issues and now he's a business, success and general life guru. I've a problem with some of his posts about conferences along the line of "so many tears today, so amazing to see 100 lives change in a day in front of my eyes". I'm just very surprised that sort of thing is resonating with young Irish people and I wonder why.

Fitness trainer and general life guru?

Jesus wept. This is the Operation Transformation generation.

Does he have a qualification in anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Fitness trainer and general life guru?

Jesus wept. This is the Operation Transformation generation.

Does he have a qualification in anything?

A PHD in Hard Knocks from the University of Life!

I've a problem with some of his posts about conferences along the line of "so many tears today, so amazing to see 100 lives change in a day in front of my eyes". I'm just very surprised that sort of thing is resonating with young Irish people and I wonder why.
    I think the departure of the Catholic Church as the pervasive provider of moral guidance in the country (and thank god for that :D) has left a vacuum which will unfortunately be partly filled by guru's and general wanker$ until we mature a bit more and have the confidence to trust our own judgement rather than need to be told how to think and what rules to live by.
    Tony Robbins also has a very positive message on the issue of charity and does great work in that regard, from screen shots of twitter yesterday he was telling people that if your unhappy or unsuccessful it's because you've made your life only about you and that giving and helping others is the only way towards prosperity and fulfilment. Sound message and certainly raking in the mega bucks for Tony!
    One thing that I really questioned yesterday was when TR said he "personally fed 100 million people last year". I'm not joking, I actually wrote it down and he made a big deal about how he plans to have "personally fed" a cumulative 1 BILLION people by the next X years (I can't remember if it was 2-3 years from now as he wants to feed 250 million next year and so on)

He rabbits n about it here https://anthonyrobbinsfoundation.org (and in fairness promised to donate $25,000 to Simon Cork to feed 200 familes for 6 months) but the numbers are nowhere near 100 million in one year and I know I didn't misunderstand what he said as it really stood out for me as effectively being impossible for any one person to do regardless of how wealthy they are.

If it costs $25,000 to feed 200 familes for 6 months that implies it costs $0.68 to feed each family per day. I guess it's possible if you are doing it on a large scale with subsidised ingredients from suppliers etc but even then it implies feeding 100 million people for 6 months would cost $68.5m. Is he wealthy enough to do that? If so fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He fills the void in people's lives just like alcohol or drugs it's just the less fun healthier option

One more thing. We were put through 5 hours of TR yesterday but his normal event is FOUR DAYS and called an "immersion". The next one is in London in April http://www.upwlondon.co.uk and there was a queue of people signing up at the end of the show yesterday. WTF??? I couldn't believe he managed to stretch a few key basic (already well known) messages out over five hours yesterday. I honestly can't imagine how mind numbing a four day session would be.

It's unbelievable that there are so many people who feel they need this sort of guidance and are willing to pay big bucks for it. It's £895/€1,190 for the cheap sets and £2,995/€3,000 for the good seats.

Mad Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

He's also a clever marketer with his eye on a much bigger prize that Irish money, he says he's going to meet Richard Branson soon on Necker Island.

As far as I can tell, nobody has taken a serious look at his charity and scrutinized it for issues, and loads of charities are either scam organization or are used for 'reputation laundering' (i.e. rich person sets up a 'charity' for tax deduction purposes, and uses the money to pursue political goals).

Never take any 'charity' at face value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Corpus Twisty

Anyone read any of the Kiyosaki "Rich Dad Poor Dad" books? Long on buffle, short on detail.. but they made him a very wealthy man indeed..."You need to become an investor - go gettem Champ!" is the summation... and he padded out that nugget into an empire...

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

Anyone who needs a life-coach, or goes to one of these seminars, is likely just a loser who doesn't have it - you can't pay for the type of success these people are after. It's not a secret that he possesses and will tell you for the price of a ticket. Your mind either works a certain way, or it doesn't.

Anyone who needs a life-coach, or goes to one of these seminars, is likely just a loser who doesn't have it - you can't pay for the type of success these people are after. It's not a secret that he possesses and will tell you for the price of a ticket. Your mind either works a certain way, or it doesn't.

One of the big things I noticed yesterday was what I'd (possibly incorrectly) call self affirmation i.e. TR thanking everyone in the place for having the insight to invest a half day in his "masterclass to transform our lives" and how the very fact we were there meant we were successful business leaders. Who doesn't want to be told by a mega wealthy guru who name drops President Clinton and ton's of Billionaire businessmen that they too are "business leaders"??

You give a guy €600 and in return he tells you you're an insightful business leader. Good deal.............for him. Pathetic for those who believe the smoke he blows up their ar$e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

I don't know the guy but if he's helping people out of a rut, without manipulating them, then good luck to him.
    But, I hope he has more to bring to Neker Island than a bit bit of oirish charm, as meeting Brandon there isn't a huge achievement. Anybody with about 30 grand can have a week there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I think it's very arrogant to call people losers and unsuccessful people who attend these type of seminars.

I know a handful of highly successful people that attend TR each year in London at some event like the one that was just on here. If people get value out of it that's the main thing. I won't label them for what they spend their money on.

I have never attended a TR seminar and at €600+ I most likely won't. I have watched a few clips on YouTube and thought he was interesting to listen to.

A very funny Ben Stiller sketch of Tony Robbins.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kenny Bania

I think it's very arrogant to call people losers and unsuccessful people who attend these type of seminars.

That's my opinion and I'll stick by it. Anyone who is successful doesn't need any of this nonsense. And that's exactly what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

That's my opinion and I'll stick by it. Anyone who is successful doesn't need any of this nonsense. And that's exactly what it is.
    I agree that successful don't need these seminars however when speaking to them they want to attend these seminars as part of their yearly business ritual.

I wouldn't say it's nonsense. I understand from your point of view it's nonsense. For others they get something from these events. 2,300 people attended the Pendulum summit in Dublin last Friday. I don't think these attendees would pay for nonsense. They get something from these seminars whether that's motivation or something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

His book Awaken The Giant Within is one of the best books I have ever read and I have read hundreds of books. Besides the cringy title it's a fantastic book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I am motivated by this thread to keep my money in my pocket so have already gained a small fortune from this bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Isaiah

Tony Quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

The first thing that always comes to my mind when someone mentions Tony Robbins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I went to NUIGalway with Pat Divilly and I have watched him on social media ever since(Which there is no denying he is good at). I have seen him go from a personal trainer to online nutritionist/trainer, to gym owner(since closed), to self proclaimed entrepreneur and now a Self Help Guru.

What bugs me about the whole thing is that he has the smarts and where with all to promote himself and build a successful business, so the guy obviously has some intelligence. Any intelligent person can see that what he is selling is basically nothing but a bunch of rehashed Tony Robbins BS. He's not selling a physical product, he's selling himself. Further more, the people who are buying his product are people with a lot of time on there hands, housewives and probably a lot of people on the dole. A lot of people who may not be that intelligent. If he is smart enough to to build a successful business like this, then he must be smart enough to know who is customers are, and that he is taking advantage of them.

There is also an element of pyramid scheme to it I feel. Pat went to a Tony Robins's conference in New York last year, he then started running similar conferences in Ireland. A couple weeks ago, an FB friend of mine started posting stuff in a similar style to Pat after attending one of Pat's conference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I went to NUIGalway with Pat Divilly and I have watched him on social media ever since(Which there is no denying he is good at). I have seen him go from a personal trainer to online nutritionist/trainer, to gym owner(since closed), to self proclaimed entrepreneur and now a Self Help Guru.

What bugs me about the whole thing is that he has the smarts and where with all to promote himself and build a successful business, so the guy obviously has some intelligence. Any intelligent person can see that what he is selling is basically nothing but a bunch of rehashed Tony Robbins BS. He's not selling a physical product, he's selling himself. Further more, the people who are buying his product are people with a lot of time on there hands, housewives and probably a lot of people on the dole. A lot of people who may not be that intelligent. If he is smart enough to to build a successful business like this, then he must be smart enough to know who is customers are, and that he is taking advantage of them.

There is also an element of pyramid scheme to it I feel. Pat went to a Tony Robins's conference in New York last year, he then started running similar conferences in Ireland. A couple weeks ago, an FB friend of mine started posting stuff in a similar style to Pat after attending one of Pat's conference.

Advertisement