Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

universal social charge

Options
  • 09-01-2016 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Wonder if anyone can help. I received my pay this week but with no increase. I understood that from the beginning of the year the new minimum wage and lowered usc was gonna be in effect. My boss can be difficult to talk to about these type of thing. So just looking for info before I tackle him about it. Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We're you on the previous minimum wage prior to Jan 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭woody84

Stheno wrote: »
    We're you on the previous minimum wage prior to Jan 1?

I was getting slightly more than the minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

woody84 wrote: »
    I was getting slightly more than the minimum wage.

Was it more than the new minimum wage?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well if you were getting the same as or more than the new minimum wage, you are not automatically due an increase just because the new min wage has increased.

I was getting 9 euro an hour. But I list 60 euro when the usc came in. Should I not be getting some of that 60 back?. I'm not that well up on these things

• Advertisement

Well then you should have gotten the increase to €9.15 and you should gwt the reduction in usc. You will need to talk to your boss.

Did ya gwt a payslip for this week?

Aye but no changes to it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭munster87

I'd say you will get the increase in your next payslip or the one after and a bit of back pay for this week as a result of the delay. Always a bit slower to give us money than take it away.

My accounts department had all the new tax credits for employees downloaded from before xmas once all the p60s were done.

Is it the boss who does the wages or someone else? You need to talk to them

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you week-in-hand, meaning a week behind? In other words, was the pay you received this week for work done before or after 1 January 2016? If before, then you would be paid at the old rate, though new USC rate should apply since the payment was physically made after 1 January.

Also, the change to USC is very small if you're low paid: 0.5% less on income between €12012 and €18,668. Depending on how many hours per week you work, it may make almost no difference.

And worse case, you may even fall into the group of people who are worse off under the new rates:

If your annual income on €9 per hour was less than 13,000 then you did not pay any USC at all in 2015.

If your annual income on the new min wage of €9.15 per hour is over 13,000, then you have to pay USC on all your income.
    • 1% on all income from 0 up to €12012
    • 3% on earnings between €12012 and €18,668
    (yes, this sucks. There are a few people affected by it every time the rates are put up. Speak to your TD if you want to express your displeasure. IMHO it's totally stupid to hit low paid people this way.)

The only way you can really tell what applies to you is by looking at your payslip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement