Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband speed halfed after passing through Cisco firewall

Options
  • 09-01-2016 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

Where I work we have a 100mbps line coming in from Pure Telecom into their router. The router is set to bridge mode so it passes everything on to a Cisco firewall and then on to switches etc.

Strange thing is that after passing through the firewall we only get a download speed of 50mbps :confused:

Any ideas what the cause of this might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is the Cisco new? Routers and FWs have maximums and older gear won't support more than 40 or 50Mbps WAN throughput sometimes. More features enaabled = less performance too in some cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

ED E wrote: »
    Is the Cisco new? Routers and FWs have maximums and older gear won't support more than 40 or 50Mbps WAN throughput sometimes. More features enaabled = less performance too in some cases.

It's a few years old as far as I know, I'd need to have a look at it again to check the model number. If it is the bottleneck it's got to go. We have quite a few staff who use a VPN to connect to our server and it's just not acceptable to lose half of your bandwidth because of an outdated firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When you get the model just google it, cisco datasheet should be a top result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

This is a regular complaint, you'll have to upgrade the firewall to get full speed. You ate not going too bad, I've seen some drop to 20mbit on 100mbit connections

Any recommendations on a modern model that wouldn't do this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Any recommendations on a modern model that wouldn't do this?

Check out the Sonicwall TZ series, read the comparison and buy what you require

Thanks for the feedback folks, much appreciated.

Throughput is what you need to be looking at..

Advertisement