Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EUR 220k - 250k to spend - where to look around south/west Dublin/east Kildare?

Options
  • 09-01-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

Where would you look if you wanted to spend 220k-240k, maybe 250k max on a house (2 or 3 bed, preferably semi-detached so a motorbike can be brought around to the back).

Sandyford Luas stop needs to be easily accessible with public transport (1 hour door to door max, starting the work at 8 AM), as my wife doesn't drive and she works there.

I work in Bluebell, but I can both drive and ride to work, so I can work my way through traffic if needed.

Somewhere on the Luas green line would be ideal, but you'd need to double or triple the budget for anything decent or start looking at apartments and this would be a last resort for us.

The closer to Dublin the better (don't want to live in inner city either), but I am also considering the likes of (in order of preference) Naas/Sallins, Maynooth, Lucan, Adamstown, Cellbridge, Leixlip, Bray on the basis that the Kildare trains will go to Connolly soon and the green line will be accessible nearby when the cross city project is finished.

Comments

Alter_Ego wrote: »
    .... but I am also considering the likes of (in order of preference) Naas/Sallins.......

Clane is a nice spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Sandyford Luas stop needs to be easily accessible with public transport (1 hour door to door max, starting the work at 8 AM), as my wife doesn't drive and she works there.

I am also considering the likes of (in order of preference) Naas/Sallins, Maynooth, Lucan, Adamstown, Cellbridge, Leixlip, Bray on the basis that the Kildare trains will go to Connolly soon and the green line will be accessible nearby when the cross city project is finished.

I'll take this bit as I've lived in several of those areas. Naas/Sallins and Celbridge are on the Heuston line, so train would be out for your wife as it would definitely take more than an hour for her to get to work. From Naas you can get the 126 to Stephens green and then a Luas out, but again I'd think it would be well over an hour.

Maynooth abnd Leixlip are both on the Connolly line. Your wife could get the train to town and then swap onto a luas. Alternatively she could get the 66 x, but this is often full and will inly bring you to city centre, it would still need a swap to a luas to get out to work.

Adamstown and Lucan I know less about. There is no train station in Lucan, with Adamstown being the closest. There are more bus routes that go through Lucan than Celbridge/Maynooth etc. This may make things easier but I don't know as I haven't lived there.

Realistically from a commuting point of view the only option I see of her taking less than an hour to work is Bray, though I know that's down on your list of places to live.

Just for comparison, my gf does a commute from Maynooth to near Sandyford. She's up at 6.15 and leaves at 6.50. Using public transport she gets in to work at 8.10. That of course depends on the trains being on time, which they often aren't. Its killing her so she's swapping to driving instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Alter_Ego

Maybe I've put it wrong - I would prefer to buy somewhere in Dublin, from where it is possible to get to Sandyford within and hour, Kildare being a secondary option given the small improvements to public transport already underway (e.g. the Naas line will actually go to Connolly next year, or am I misinterpreting the purpose of the Phoenix park rail tunnel which is due to re-open for passenger traffic?)

Plus, jobs can be changed. It may take few months or years but with time she could just find something closer to home, she works in administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Maybe I've put it wrong - I would prefer to buy somewhere in Dublin, from where it is possible to get to Sandyford within and hour, Kildare being a secondary option given the small improvements to public transport already underway (e.g. the Naas line will actually go to Connolly next year, or am I misinterpreting the purpose of the Phoenix park rail tunnel which is due to re-open for passenger traffic?)

Plus, jobs can be changed. It may take few months or years but with time she could just find something closer to home, she works in administration.

You would get a nice three bed semi in dublin 15 blanchardstown / hartstown /huntstown/clonsilla for that kind of money. The train line runs to connolly or you could drive straight onto the M50 the junction both from the Blanch centre and the n3 /M50 have been up graded in recent years so access is quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

D5 - on the DART line.

Cheap, out of the inner city but within 15 or so minutes of it; a great park and the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

You would get a place in ballyfermot, possibly palmerstown or lucan (2 bed) within your price range. You would need to be driving though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

What about Glasnevin. I have taken the number 11 from Wadelai park near there to Sandyford. Tends to take around an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

Worth researching whether you could buy near the redline in tallaght and get Red Luas, Luas cross-city and Green LUAS? Anyone in work that your wife could carpool with?

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Worth researching whether you could buy near the redline in tallaght and get Red Luas, Luas cross-city and Green LUAS? Anyone in work that your wife could carpool with?

From what I've read Kingswood and Saggart are the "better" parts of D24. Is that still the case? Any specific areas in Tallaght to consider?

D5 - on the DART line.

Cheap, out of the inner city but within 15 or so minutes of it; a great park and the beach.
    What about Glasnevin. I have taken the number 11 from Wadelai park near there to Sandyford. Tends to take around an hour?

Good suggestions, will look into it

• Advertisement

You would get a nice three bed semi in dublin 15 blanchardstown / hartstown /huntstown/clonsilla for that kind of money. The train line runs to connolly or you could drive straight onto the M50 the junction both from the Blanch centre and the n3 /M50 have been up graded in recent years so access is quick

I am not really fond of D15. Anytime I've been there the traffic is just at a standstill and I think I would prefer to live in a small town with some decent amenities a bit further out than in a huge housing estate of the same size - that's what D15 is effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I am not really fond of D15. Anytime I've been there the traffic is just at a standstill and I think I would prefer to live in a small town with some decent amenities a bit further out than in a huge housing estate of the same size - that's what D15 is effectively.

there are aload of estates in D15 as else where in Dublin but with the services close by. for example you could buy a house beside the centre which provides more than most towns in oulets for less than 200k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I've just plugged in your criteria into Myhome.ie, and in south dublin, your only option is a derelict house in Dun Laoghaire :(

Changing South to Dublin West, there are loads of matches. You're talking Tallaght, Clondalkin, Clonsilla, Lucan, Saggart etc, so you're not going to get a super fancy address, but there are plenty available in your price point. (7 pages of results)

Regarding your wifes job, I cant see any very good options for public transport from Dublin West (or indeed Kildare) so something might have to give here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

From what I've read Kingswood and Saggart are the "better" parts of D24. Is that still the case? Any specific areas in Tallaght to consider?

Lots, in fact most of Tallaght are ironically "better" parts.

Saggart generally wouldn't be classed as Tallaght.
    Kingswood, Belgard, Aylesbury, Glenview, Bancroft, Old Bawn and Seskin View to name a few are all fine places to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'd look at the back of Cabra up to Royal Canal Park and Ashtown.

The Luas line will be in Broombridge in 20 months with a direct Sandyford link and in the mean time there are options to either take the train & DART or go through town to catch the green Luas line. Possibly slightly over an hour, but not for long.

Advertisement