Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

28 Weeks: Tracking the road to Galway 2016

Options
  • 09-01-2016 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

The Goal: Challenge Galway Half-Distance - 26 June 2016

374207.png

A bit of background...

I went from Engineering in college into a 2 year Software Development course. After spending some long days sitting at a computer, slowly gaining weight and becoming increasingly unfit, it became obvious that if I was to pursue a career in software I'd have to make a very conscious effort to keep fit around the day job.

So the day I started my first graduate job (January 2013) I also started a 28 Day Pat Divilly training plan. I lost over a stone and jump started my fitness efforts, building up 5k-10k runs and being more conscious of what I ate. I saw the benefit and motivation of having set goals so quickly signed up for more 5k and 10k events. I got a road bike and started cycling to work. That summer I reached a big goal of my first sprint triathlon in Lanesboro (after a lot of work building up my swimming from a very weak level). Later that year I tackled the Lough Key sprint triathlon.

I entered loads of events in 2014 and pushed my running PB times for 5k/10k and struggled through my first half marathon (last minute with minimal training, first run beyond 10km!). The only triathlon I did was the Mullaghmore sprint. My biggest advance this year was with building up my cycling, completing the Ring of Kerry charity cycle in July.

2015 was less active, a lot of the same running events as 2014 but with much less training. Longest run was 10k and I didn't get around to entering any triathlons. On the positive side, I did focus on one 10k and broke my 2-year PB by 2mins. In July I completed the Ring of Kerry cycle again and made some good advances working up my open water swimming beyond the sprint range, from 750m to 2000m.

The swimming was always my weakest sport, so having now swam, cycled and ran beyond each individual "Half Ironman" distance, the seed of a possible big future goal was set. Dublin Ironman 70.3 2016 was on my radar, then in October Challenge Galway 2016 added a half-distance race to the line up. I'm based in Galway and the route passes my house, so it seemed a great fit.

In November I signed up for my biggest challenge yet. After scrambling for different training plans and some focused direction, I combined two training plans into a 28 week plan, which started on 14th December 2015.

Tomorrow I'll be finishing Weeks 1-4 of the training - will keep you posted. Thanks in advance for any advice or tips along the way!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

The first job was to find a training plan, after trawling online forums "Don Fink" books kept popping as recommendations so I invested in "Ironfit Secrets for Half Iron-Distance Triathlon Success" by Don and Melanie Fink.

The half Ironman training plans in the book are only 16 weeks, with 3 plan options;
    • Just Finish
    • Intermediate
    • Competitive

So my plan is to do weeks 1-12 of the Just Finish plan, then jump into week 1 of the Intermediate plan and follow it though to race day. The training hours drop slightly when changing plans but it will be a welcome ease-off for a couple of weeks!

I've transferred the plan into a spreadsheet and here's how the total weekly hours are looking;

374599.png

Tuesday, 15 Dec 2015
    • 0:45 Swim (Pool) - 1550m
    • 0:31 Run - 5.6km

Wednesday, 16 Dec 2015
    • 0:52 Cycle (return commute) - 16.2km
    • 0:21 Run from Bike - 4km

Friday, 18 Dec 2015
    • 0:45 Swim (Pool) - 1650m
    • 1:09 Cycle - 23.4km
    • 0:30 Run - 5.1km

Total
    Swim: | 01:30 hrs |03.2 km
    Bike: | 02:01 hrs | 39.6 km
    Run: | 01:23 hrs | 14.7 km

First week in the bag! I was away the Saturday and Sunday so it took a busy Friday to fit everything in. Squeezing the training into 3 days isn't ideal, will need to be better organised as the training ramps up.

It was my first swim in months so very happy with that starting level, it doesn't seem to drop off as much as the likes of bike fitness.

Monday, 21 Dec 2015
    • 0:50 Swim (pool) - 1000m
    • 0:51 Cycle (commute) - 16.5km
    • 0:30 Run - 5.3km

Tuesday, 22 Dec 2015
    • 0:45 Swim (pool) - 1500m
    • 0:45 Cycle (commute) - 16.1km
    • 0:24 Run - 4.1km

Thursday, 24 Dec 2015 - Christmas Eve
    Friday, 25 Dec 2015 - Christmas Day

Saturday, 26 Dec 2015
    • 0:39 Run - 6.7km

Total
    Swim: | 01:35 hrs |02.5 km
    Bike: | 01:37 hrs | 32.6 km
    Run: | 01:33 hrs | 16.1 km

The Monday swim was cut to 1000m as I pulled something funny in my arm so eased off and spent the rest of the session learning how to do tumble turns and kicking with a float. Arm was back to normal the next day.

Got most of the training out of the way early in the week to make some room for turkey! Very glad I did - the run on St. Stephen's Day was heavy going.

Monday, 28 Dec 2015
    • 1:02 Run - 10.5km

Tuesday, 29 Dec 2015
    • 0:39 Run - 6.8km

Wednesday, 30 Dec 2015
    • 0:41 Run - 7km

Saturday, 2 Jan 2016
    • 0:45 Swim - 1600m
    • 1:06 Cycle - 23.8km

Sunday, 3 Jan 2016
    • 0:45 Swim - 1550m
    • 1:06 Cycle - 23.5km
    • 0:15 Run (from bike) - 3km

Total
    Swim: | 01:30 hrs |03.2 km
    Bike: | 02:11 hrs | 47.3 km
    Run: | 02:39 hrs | 27.3 km

More moving around days to fit around New Years - back to regular schedule for week 4.

Tuesday, 5 Jan 2016
    • 0:45 Swim (pool) - 1300m
    • 0:45 Cycle (commute) - 16.2km

Wednesday, 6 Jan 2016
    • 0:45 Cycle (commute) 16km

Thursday, 7 Jan 2016
    • 0:45 Run - 8km

Friday, 8 Jan 2016
    • 0:45 Swim - 1650m

Saturday, 9 Jan 2016
    • 1:02 Cycle - 25.5km
    • 0:15 Run (from bike) - 3km

Sunday, 10 Jan 2016
    • 1:05 Run - 11.3km

Total
    Swim: | 01:30 hrs |03.0 km
    Bike: | 02:32 hrs | 57.7 km
    Run: | 02:06 hrs | 22.3 km

Training plan stepped up to 5.5 hours this week but planned it out much better so every day was manageable. Doing so meant getting out in very cold and wet weather but really wasn't that bad after a few minutes warming up.

Enjoying the time-based training - allows for scheduling in the training session. A "long run" for me would have been 10km before, but having the 1hr run on Sunday meant I covered 11.3km (1hr 5min) which is my second longest run yet (after a poorly prepared half marathon).

• Advertisement

That's the first four weeks complete. Working off a training plan is definitely pushing the training harder than I would have on my own. The balance of swim/bike/run seems good so far.

I'd be tempted to push some of the cycles further but very wary about picking up an injury so generally sticking closely to the plan. My non-commute cycles so far have been the Galway-Barna loop which has some nice climbing so getting some good training into the 1hr cycle.

Would people recommend fitting in an Olympic distance triathlon between now and 26 June?

374629.png

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Hi JOE,
    best of luck with the training ahead, i think it is a good idea to do an olympic 4-5 weeks out from your race, it is good to race and get a feel for where you are and it will definitely give you confidence for the bigday. i would also recommend doing a bit more cycling, it will do you no harm and will help your base fitness, at the end of the day, the stronger you are on the bike the easier the run will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

J o e wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to push some of the cycles further but very wary about picking up an injury so generally sticking closely to the plan. My non-commute cycles so far have been the Galway-Barna loop which has some nice climbing so getting some good training into the 1hr cycle.

Would people recommend fitting in an Olympic distance triathlon between now and 26 June?

The chances of you picking up an injury from cycling are slim enough in comparison to running, I would be looking at doing the Galway - Spiddal - Moycullen loop if you are considering upping the distances

I wouldn't lose any sleep if you don't do a race beforehand but I regretted a little not doing one before my race last year, I hadn't raced much in previous years and I got a little rattled at the pushing and shoving in the water on the day itself, it took me a while to settle in.

Not an Olympic but theres a sprint in Salthill on June 5th that might suit

Thanks for the feedback!
    Pmaldini wrote: »
    Hi JOE,
    best of luck with the training ahead, i think it is a good idea to do an olympic 4-5 weeks out from your race, it is good to race and get a feel for where you are and it will definitely give you confidence for the bigday. i would also recommend doing a bit more cycling, it will do you no harm and will help your base fitness, at the end of the day, the stronger you are on the bike the easier the run will be.
    catweazle wrote: »
    The chances of you picking up an injury from cycling are slim enough in comparison to running, I would be looking at doing the Galway - Spiddal - Moycullen loop if you are considering upping the distances

I might go for a longer cycle this weekend. I'd be tempted to get down on the cycle route to scope it out, I haven't done any cycling out that way beyond Kilcolgan.
    catweazle wrote: »
    I wouldn't lose any sleep if you don't do a race beforehand but I regretted a little not doing one before my race last year, I hadn't raced much in previous years and I got a little rattled at the pushing and shoving in the water on the day itself, it took me a while to settle in.

Not an Olympic but theres a sprint in Salthill on June 5th that might suit

I dive so thankfully I'm fairly comfortable in open water - just without the added elbows. I'll have a look at the scheduled triathlons over the coming days.

Pmaldini wrote: »
    i think it is a good idea to do an olympic 4-5 weeks out from your race

Lough Cutra Castle Triathlon on Sunday 29th May might fit well, 4 weeks before Challenge Galway.

• Advertisement

375392.png

Wednesday, 13 Jan 2016
    • 0:45 Run - 8.5km

Friday, 15 Jan 2016
    • 0:30 Cycle (Wattbike) - 17km
    • 0:16 Brick Run - 3km
    • 0:45 Swim (Pool) - 1650m

Saturday, 16 Jan 2016
    • 0:45 Swim (Pool) - 1600m

Sunday, 17 Jan 2016
    • 2:16 Cycle - 51km
    • 1:00 Run - 10.5km

This week was the biggest threat to the plan yet! Due to busy evenings I had left most of the training until Thurs-Sun. Then a hard frost hit on Thursday so the bike or run wasn't an option around Galway. I tried to hit the pool but it was packed with kids.

Luckily I had no work on Friday, but the roads were still frosty, so I went to the gym and tried out their Wattbikes for the first time. It was very hot sweaty work (warm gym) but managed to get a planned 30min planned cycle with 15min brick run on the treadmill, followed by a swim.

To throw another spanner in the works I had to make an unscheduled trip up to Donegal for the weekend. Packed the bike in the car and managed to fit a 51km cycle in on Sunday morning and after the drive back to Galway got out for a 1hr run... completing weekly training plan with 1.5hrs to spare! :)

The training ramps up another 30mins this week (to 06:30 hrs), so need to get some sessions covered earlier this week.

Not looking good for Week 6. Dosed with the cold and have a very stiff neck. :(

Advertisement