Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocklyon or Stepaside - opinions?

Options
  • 09-01-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi folks,

We're currently looking at new builds in both Stepaside and Knocklyon.
    We have a reasonable list of Pros and Cons based on the houses themselves.
    However, I'd like to hear people's opinions on the 2 areas, particularly anyone currently living there.

If a similar build was available in each area, any major reasons why you'd choose 1 over the other?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

How close would you be to the luas at either glencairn or the gallops? I live next to the gallops luas stop, my address is officially Sandyford but another 100 metres beyond me is Stepaside I think. The luas was a huge factor in me moving here.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Limpar

It's about a 15 minute walk to Glencairn, so it's reasonably close.
    The houses in Knocklyon are right next to a bus terminus, so pretty good for transport also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I grew up in Shankill and used the bus a fair amount. I subsequently moved to Dundrum, Milltown and now here, all on the green line. There is no comparison between the bus and the luas. The luas is far more reliable, frequent, and runs later. I rarely get the bus these days and would be happy never to sit on another Dublin bus again. That said, with a 15 minute walk this side the journey time to Stephens green will be 40-45 mins which isn't that quick. If you're right next to a bus terminus in Knocklyon that might negate the advantage of the luas though.

It was the biggest factor in me moving here, but I'm only three minutes from the stop so it keeps the total journey time down. Aside from that Stepaside village itself is quite nice, there's a decent Dunnes at leopardstown valley. There's not too much else out here though, and possibly a little on the quiet side for me. I'll be looking to trade up in 3-4 years I'd say if possible. Somewhere a bit closer in either on the green line or the dart would be my ideal location. It depends what you want though, if I had a family and was looking for the quiet life I'd be happy to stay. Again the luas would swing it for me over other suburbs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i live i the gallops and my address is leopardstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Personally I'd lean towards stepaside but only because of a familiarity with the area. Which leads to by point, stepaside is always at the bad end of the scale whenever there is a snow or hard frost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Hi OP,

What budget are you thinking of spending? I've lived beside knockloyn for about a year previously (renting) and its very suburban. We were either slaves to the 15b (comes every 40 mins if you're lucky) or had to take a taxi if we wanted to go out for a drink as theres nothing really locally. Also are you talking about inside or outside the M50? THere are lots of new builds outside the M50 being called Knocklyon but I think they're quite isolated personally. Also, there is no village to speak of, which at least you have in Stepaside.

I've moved and now live 5-10mins walk from green line luas. I only use it for leisure but it way better than the bus. Its so frequent that you dont really need ot be checking time tables, and journey times are so reliable. That said, as a previous poster has pointed out, 15mins walk isnt that close, especially if the weather is bad etc.

I'd probably go Stepaside, but hard to be definitive without knowing more about where you're looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

What budget are you thinking of spending? I've lived beside knockloyn for about a year previously (renting) and its very suburban. We were either slaves to the 15b (comes every 40 mins if you're lucky) or had to take a taxi if we wanted to go out for a drink as theres nothing really locally.

How long ago was that, though? I'm right beside both the 15 and 15B termini and find them both excellent and extremely regular; 15 is every 10 minutes and 15b is every 20 (although it goes around the freaking WORLD so I prefer the 15). I don't use them to commute to work, though, so can't comment on how crowded or otherwise they are during rush hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Dial Hard wrote: »
    How long ago was that, though? I'm right beside both the 15 and 15B termini and find them both excellent and extremely regular; 15 is every 10 minutes and 15b is every 20 (although it goes around the freaking WORLD so I prefer the 15). I don't use them to commute to work, though, so can't comment on how crowded or otherwise they are during rush hour.

Just moved out in November. I only used to take it in evenings or weekends and they could be quite far apart. I used to use the bus app and sometimes it would say it was coming in 10 minutes, I'd go outside to the stop and it would never arrive. That happened at least 3 times, and once I got it to go into town and for some reason the driver parked up in rathmines and told us thats all for today folks!

You're right though, it does go around the world. My BF started a job in the IFSC and somedays it took up to an hour and a half for him to get in so he started cycling instead.

Advertisement