Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly Question - How to start out when calling Irish?

Options
  • 09-01-2016 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

I had a rather odd query - when I (non Irish as you might be able to tell) call an Irish government office or other institution, how should I best start out? Does one say "Good afternoon, This is (full name), how are you?" or does one not introduce oneself-/ask how the other person is on call? I have noticed Irish prefer to be asked how they are and returned an answer before one gets to the main discussion, else one can be considered a bit rude. I would love to be as polite as i should be on the phone as well, please help and sorry for the silly question here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Unless they offer a how are you greeting when they answer I would just say Hi then ask whatever my question was. They have enough to do without having to deal with small talk every time they pick up the phone. As long as you are polite during the exchange that is the important part.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Would agree with Jimmii. When receiving work calls I prefer polite but to the point. If it's a regular caller don't mind a bit of chitchat but for one off calls "Hi...I'm wondering if you can help me with X please" is fine/preferable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

sareer wrote: »
    ...I have noticed Irish prefer to be asked how they are and returned an answer before one gets to the main discussion, else one can be considered a bit rude...

This is probably true when meeting in person, but probably not necessary on the phone, and especially when the person you are calling is answering the phone as part of their job.

However, to avoid being too blunt, I always like to add a small lead-in to the question, such as:

"Hello, I have a query for you, <tiny pause><your question>",
    or
    "Hello, I wonder if you can help me, I'm looking for someone who can (eg) let me know what my tax status is?"

The extra bit at the start lets them know that you see them as a person, and helps them get used to your voice/accent, especially if it is foreign to them.

Edit: As Collie D says, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sareer

thank you all, this is very helpful!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Type 17 wrote: »
    This is probably true when meeting in person, but probably not necessary on the phone, and especially when the person you are calling is answering the phone as part of their job.

However, to avoid being too blunt, I always like to add a small lead-in to the question, such as:

"Hello, I have a query for you, <tiny pause><your question>",
    or
    "Hello, I wonder if you can help me, I'm looking for someone who can (eg) let me know what my tax status is?"

The extra bit at the start lets them know that you see them as a person, and helps them get used to your voice/accent, especially if it is foreign to them.

Edit: As Collie D says, too!

Yeah 100% this.

Any time I'm calling someone like this I always start with something along the lines of "Hey there, I need some help with X. <pause> Can you help?" Works quite well, and if someone called me like that I'd be delighted.

Whatever you do, do NOT open with;

"Hi, as a taxpayer, you work for me, now get me XYZ". People don't like that for some reason. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

howya bud, what's da story?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Dia dhuit, a dhuine uasail.

This would be the appropriate salutation for a government official.

Advertisement