Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm at range without license

Options
  • 09-01-2016 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I took the competency course this morning and it wasn't as boring as I thought it would be 😄

I got chatting to a lad who was doing the course too, but had been shooting at the range for a while. He mentioned he had his own gun and was doing the comp test to get his license for it.

Is it ok to buy a gun and use and store it at the range, so long as it does not leave the range? They have lockers available to rent to members and I wouldn't mind renting the locker if it meant I could store my firearms there, pending the granting of the licenses. I know they would have to be transported by an rfd or the current license holder.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

goz83 wrote: »
    Is it ok to buy a gun and use and store it at the range, so long as it does not leave the range? .
    Yes.

SI 622/2011, section 11(3) says:
    (3) Where a person referred to in paragraph (2)—

(a) does not hold a firearm certificate or authorisation which is for the time being in force in respect of the firearm concerned,

(b) does not furnish such a firearm certificate or authorisation, or

(c) has not, within the previous month, used that firearm, or a firearm of that type, on the range concerned,

the person shall, under the supervision of a supervising officer and in a suitable shooting area, demonstrate to the officer his or her competence in the use of the firearm concerned.
    So in short if you are under supervision of an RO or can prove competence to the same you may fire a firearm on an authorised range.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I took the competency course this morning and it wasn't as boring as I thought it would be 😄

I got chatting to a lad who was doing the course too, but had been shooting at the range for a while. He mentioned he had his own gun and was doing the comp test to get his license for it.

Is it ok to buy a gun and use and store it at the range, so long as it does not leave the range? They have lockers available to rent to members and I wouldn't mind renting the locker if it meant I could store my firearms there, pending the granting of the licenses. I know they would have to be transported by an rfd or the current license holder.

Glad to hear you got through it ok. I spent an enjoyable morning out on my land putting rounds down range as such. An enjoyable way to spend a few hours I must say. I'm toying with the idea of joining a range for target shooting. Looking at courtlough their set up seems ideal with individual lanes as such. My local shooting range only has one open area for rifle shooting. Unless anyone knows of anywhere else in my locality. Monaghan / Louth area

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Glad to hear you got through it ok. I spent an enjoyable morning out on my land putting rounds down range as such. An enjoyable way to spend a few hours I must say. I'm toying with the idea of joining a range for target shooting. Looking at courtlough their set up seems ideal with individual lanes as such. My local shooting range only has one open area for rifle shooting. Unless anyone knows of anywhere else in my locality. Monaghan / Louth area

It was good fun. I think I was the only one there (9 of us) who had never fired a shotgun. I went first for the practical end, shooting clays, because I had to get to work right after. 12 clays were flown for me and I hit 9 (i think...was a bit nervous going 1st), which I think was OK. I would have been happy with 1. We didn't fire rifles. There was only myself and another lad going for rifles.

Courtlough is about a half hour from me. There are a couple of places closer, but it does seem like a decent spot alright. I had a quick look at the prices of ammunition and there is an extra fee for buying ammo for shooting at the range. 100 .22 CCI rounds are €14 to go, or €20 to use at the range. I didn't price anything else, but I suppose it's probably a fair mark up considering the time spent using the rounds :confused:

100 .22 CCI rounds are €14 to go, or €20 to use at the range.
    Was going to say €14 is a little high but their website says €13 per 100 which is in line (pretty much) with most others. However the €20 price tag is exorbitant. Why so dear for use on the range?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    Was going to say €14 is a little high but their website says €13 per 100 which is in line (pretty much) with most others. However the €20 price tag is exorbitant. Why so dear for use on the range?

Could be the freshly ground coffee at the club house :pac:

Well, I wouldn't be going crazy with rounds at that rate. Maybe it's cheaper for members, but not by more than 10% I don't think

• Advertisement

Could be the freshly ground coffee at the club house :pac:
    Maybe they should change from Civet coffee to Nescafe. :D

Was going to ask the same thing. Why would they charge more for ammo for the range ? Unless that covers the hire of a gun , lane rental etc if your doing it as a package. Just on that Cass you might be in a position to answer this for me. I stated on my gun license application it was for pest control around the farm if I wanted to start using a range would I have to amend my license?

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Was going to ask the same thing. Why would they charge more for ammo for the range ? Unless that covers the hire of a gun , lane rental etc if your doing it as a package.

I didn't ask about the prices, I was in a bit of a rush to get to work. I will be dropping into them on Wednesday to collect my membership. I decided it would be faster than waiting for the post. I will get more info about the prices when I do that. if i get a chance....I reckon I will fire off a few rounds too :D

You could use the FCA2, top section for amendments, and where it says "from" (in the range/club details section) leave this blank but add the necessary details in the "To" section.

That'll cover you, but i don't know of anyone that has done this before. Not that it's wrong or shouldn't be done, just most people don't bother. Also chat with your FO about it. S/hr'll let you know if this is the right course of action.

Have fun. As I said earlier I fired about 150 rounds today and boy did I enjoy it. Trouble is I only seem to get more accurate the more I fire so inevitable I don't want to stop.........

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    You could use the FCA2, top section for amendments, and where it says "from" (in the range/club details section) leave this blank but add the necessary details in the "To" section.

That'll cover you, but i don't know of anyone that has done this before. Not that it's wrong or shouldn't be done, just most people don't bother. Also chat with your FO about it. S/hr'll let you know if this is the right course of action.

Thanks Cass. I was more concerned about the legality of it but obviously it's not such a big deal if people are not doing it as a requirement to shoot at a range.

Just to be clear, because others "get away with it" does not make it legal or right. Just saying so no one thinks i'm condoning it.

Advertisement