Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BSc Human Nutrition and Dietetics

Options
  • 09-01-2016 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi, I'm currently in 2nd year in a course I have no interest in. I've always had my heart set on a Nutrition/food science course since leaving cert however I missed out on the points and stupidly did not repeat the leaving cert.

I'm interested in applying as a mature student when I'm 23 for DT223 in Trinity and DIT. I was just wondering has anyone ever been accepted for this course as a mature student? Is there anything I can do from now till then to possibly enhance my application?

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure to check out your grant/fees situation if you have already done part of a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mona Olsen

Its a v difficult course to get into as a mature student - many of the applicants will have a primary science degree already.
    Contact hospitals and dietitians and get as much work shadowing as possible - in St James's they have 1 day a year where they allow prospective students to work shadow. Do some volunteer work in a hospital -crosscare Plate Pals would be a good one. Get references from both of these places.
    You MUST have Leaving Cert Chemistry - at least a HC3. However you'd need to be aiming for an A to be considered. Most people also do the DIT evening class in nutrition but I'm not sure that still runs. Some type of nutrition training would be an advantage - just don't try one of the holistic nutrition courses.

Advertisement