Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade PC for Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

CPU is fine, probably won't need to even OC it.

380X or 390 would be fine for the Occulus.

Changing GPU is unscrewing the mount at the back, remove power connectors, hit the wee clip under the card (or break it if you're as ham handed as I am) and lift the GPU out. Follow in reverse order to install the new one.

7950 is worth a few bob, not sure exactly second hand prices on it

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Well, overclocking your CPU will improve your minimum frames in each eye, which cuts out choppiness and nausiae.

Also, the Occulus won't be out until what, April? You could hang around until June then and pick up some of the new GPUs coming out, which will be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Am I right in thinking you won't see your rift till June? If so, I'd be holding off getting a new GPU till closer the time.
    Other requirements were HDMI 1.3, and a USB 3.0 (or a few of them) iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, you can afford to wait unless you specifically want to upgrade for games now, as your GPU is pretty old at this stage....still OK, but trails way behind the rest of your spec and wouldn't have a hope with the Oculus CV.

You won't need to overclock that CPU, just need a new GPU. You should get E70-80 for the 7850 on adverts.

Faster ram if you wanted, yours is quite slow, but the actual translation in game performance isn't really noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭The Bobster

Thanks for the help. Yeah I wasn't going to order the GPU until closer to the time just wanted to get an idea. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I can't see the CPU making much difference.

The GPU is going to be the issue with the R9-290/390 probably being the absolute minimum you'll want to aim for.

I had no issues with the DK2 once the frame rates were high enough, let them drop and welcome to motion sicknessville. I sail and used to fly quite a bit (Chipmunks/Bulldogs for anyone who's interested) and believe me it takes a lot to make me chunder. An hour of ESO on a DK2 jaysus had to have a lie down!

Advertisement