Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on rental property problems

Options
  • 09-01-2016 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭

Hi just looking for some advice and what my landlord is responsible for and how to go about sorting a couple of issues.

Basically the window in the dining area of the sitting room started leaking and when it rains the splashing of water is quite a lot and also the constant dripping noise is really annoying.
    When I first noticed it I rang him immediately as it will obviously be easier to fix early on rather than becoming a big job at a later date. He said he would be around to fix it but this was in october and he has yet to arrange to sort it.
    I had to rearrange my Christmas as my family were due to come to mine for dinner but with the torrential rain I couldn't have them sitting getting splashed with water while eating.
    The configuration of the house meant I couldn't move to the dining table and to be honest one of the reasons I took the house was because I could imagine having my family for christmas dinner.

The other problem I'm unsure about is that there is a satellite dish already on the property and I use a freeview box. Since the storms I can't get a signal. I haven't had TV for nearly 3 months now. I understand some might feel this is a good thing but it is getting tedious not being able to get home from work and unwind with a bit of telly.
    As such I am not using the sitting/dining room at the moment which is a pain cos the fire is in there but using the kitchen cos I have the stereo set up. Is this his responsiblity? I have no idea how to sort it and I'm not with a provider.

Also the hob on the cooker in the kitchen is not working properly and doesn't heat up properly.

Is withholding rent the way to go or can someone please advise me of the best way to address these issues. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Hi just looking for some advice and what my landlord is responsible for and how to go about sorting a couple of issues.

Basically the window in the dining area of the sitting room started leaking and when it rains the splashing of water is quite a lot and also the constant dripping noise is really annoying.
    When I first noticed it I rang him immediately as it will obviously be easier to fix early on rather than becoming a big job at a later date. He said he would be around to fix it but this was in october and he has yet to arrange to sort it.
    I had to rearrange my Christmas as my family were due to come to mine for dinner but with the torrential rain I couldn't have them sitting getting splashed with water while eating.
    The configuration of the house meant I couldn't move to the dining table and to be honest one of the reasons I took the house was because I could imagine having my family for christmas dinner.

The other problem I'm unsure about is that there is a satellite dish already on the property and I use a freeview box. Since the storms I can't get a signal. I haven't had TV for nearly 3 months now. I understand some might feel this is a good thing but it is getting tedious not being able to get home from work and unwind with a bit of telly.
    As such I am not using the sitting/dining room at the moment which is a pain cos the fire is in there but using the kitchen cos I have the stereo set up. Is this his responsiblity? I have no idea how to sort it and I'm not with a provider.

Also the hob on the cooker in the kitchen is not working properly and doesn't heat up properly.

Is withholding rent the way to go or can someone please advise me of the best way to address these issues. Thanks

Window is LL s issue.
    Hob is working one could argue
    the tv issue is yours

Never withhold rent for any issue

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Regarding the dish, the alignment has probably been knocked off with the wind. Any aerial/satellite installer should be able to allign it up correctly and check the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Regarding the dish, the alignment has probably been knocked off with the wind. Any aerial/satellite installer should be able to allign it up correctly and check the signal.

So essentially i have to pay for someone to come out to look at it for me?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So essentially i have to pay for someone to come out to look at it for me?

Pretty much. It's a service that you want in the property. It's not a requirement for the LL to provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You can't withhold rent. However if you write to the LL (yes with paper and ink) outlining the issues and give them a reasonable time to resolve the issues you can arrange for someone to fix the issues and deduct the amount from the rental payment. Keep receipts and make sure to get three quotes and ensure the word done is the minimum required.

Dish is your own problem imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You can't withhold rent. However if you write to the LL (yes with paper and ink) outlining the issues and give them a reasonable time to resolve the issues you can arrange for someone to fix the issues and deduct the amount from the rental payment. Keep receipts and make sure to get three quotes and ensure the word done is the minimum required.

Dish is your own problem imho.
    Only if the landlord doesn't resolve the issues in that time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

You can always raise the issue with the PRTB if you are unsure abiut these things. Did you get a letter advising you your LL registered you? If not then this is always a good sign that they are not doing things by the book and have something to hide, such as not paying tax on the rental income.

Even innocently advising the LL you will be forced to speak to them if nothing is done will be enough for them to do something about the window!

Www.threshold.ie and citizens information website are also good places to get advice on your rights as a tennant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

malin182 wrote: »
    You can always raise the issue with the PRTB if you are unsure abiut these things. Did you get a letter advising you your LL registered you? If not then this is always a good sign that they are not doing things by the book and have something to hide, such as not paying tax on the rental income.

Even innocently advising the LL you will be forced to speak to them if nothing is done will be enough for them to do something about the window!

Www.threshold.ie and citizens information website are also good places to get advice on your rights as a tennant.

Why does every issue that a tenant have always be brought back to the LL and his /her paying tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, have you really only rung the LL ONCE about the leak? Really?

If so the way to go is to pick up the phone again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

Why does every issue that a tenant have always be brought back to the LL and his /her paying tax?

Just talking from my experience, not all but many LL still avoid tax (it is a fair chunk of income they hand over to be fair), but in my experience the LL who don't pull their weight maintaining a property are usually cutting corners elsewhere as well. And lets face it, if they feel that the issue is being brought to an official body they will probably want to avoid it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

OP, have you really only rung the LL ONCE about the leak? Really?

If so the way to go is to pick up the phone again!

I agree with this. You should be more proactive in dealing with the problems. That means more than one phone call & then sitting back while you have water coming in & a job that doesn't work.
    Pick up the phone & have a conversation with the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The way you describe the window sounds like a power shower. Are you sure you couldn't just move the table or put up some gaffa tape for Xmas day. Sounds like a severe over reaction.

You need to be proactive getting issues solved. If you have time in the evening to watch TV ( which I don't) then you have time to email or call the landlord.

The TV is a two minute fix. You could probably do this yourself with a spanner and ladder. Or 50 to a TV or aerial guy.

Never with old rent. Just try to be a little more proactive in the future resolving your issues. Best of luck.

I have had more than one communication with the landlord over the window and each time he says he will sort it and hasn't lived up to the arrangements.
    Sorry I should have mentioned I have called him more than once. Its not always possible to provide every detail when outlining a problem without it turning into a novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

3 months without tv and you never once googled it or asked in the Satellite forum here? Get a €5 signal meter on Ebay and go out and sort the issue yourself or get someone else to do it.

Thargor wrote: »
    3 months without tv and you never once googled it or asked in the Satellite forum here? Get a €5 signal meter on Ebay and go out and sort the issue yourself or get someone else to do it.

Jaysis, I haven't a clue and you wouldn't see me up a ladder (severe fear of heights). I have had my neighbour around who used to install security cameras and is an IT whizz, he couldn't figure it and never mentioned devices like that.
    But thanks for the advice, didn't even know such things existed. Will have a look for satellite forum now.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Sounds like it's time to be a bit more forceful with your landlord Mincepie!
    In my experience when there is an issue I have always attempted to sort myself in that I would get quotes and ask around for best quote and reliable companies. We would then call to explain situation and send everything to the landlord and they would then advise what to go with (gives them a chance to plan and budget) or, sometimes they have their own person they would like to go with but the point is this sort of sets things in motion.
    I think it is time you get a few quotes yourself and give a friendly time line to your landlord pointing out how big of an issue this has become.

Also with the hob not working properly this I would very much point this out to landlord too about getting someone to fix. You should be able to use your cooker! I would be utterly lost.

With regard the satellite - find out who the provider is from your landlord and give a call yourself to sort out.

Good luck!

Advertisement