Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Voice UK 2016

Options
  • 09-01-2016 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

Well, there *does* have to be a thread for this... :o:o:D:D;)

So here we are, the fifth series - and the last one on the BBC before Talpa's new owners move it to their main channel. ;)

Will the Beeb just go through the motions - sitting back as viewing figures start out great, drop slightly during the battles and knockouts, and then considerably during the live shows? Or will they make the effort to give it a big send-off, and thus tell ITV in no uncertain terms, "You'd better do a good job with this now"?

In either case, the winner will quite likely be forgotten about quite quickly. But it's also quite likely that this situation won't change much after the change of channel has been completed...

While The Voice has undoubtedly been one of the biggest talent shows of the 2010s, and is much more pleasant than Simon Cowell's shows, one thing it just cannot do is produce a great deal of memorable winners. Even Andrea Begley drifted back into obscurity after a relatively short time, despite the shock nature of her victory and the novelty of her being visually impaired (and that's meant with the very greatest of respect).

Andrea-Begley_wins_2597696b.jpg

The Irish winners are also remembered only briefly, of course, as are the American ones - and there have been nine of those now... :eek: :o:D

Anyway, the fifth UK winner will have gone up against two new judges - Boy George replacing Tom Jones in controversial circumstances, and Paloma Faith predictably taking over from Rita Ora in trying to break the Curse Of The Female Judges (easy to forget, but none so far have had an act finish higher than fourth).

Will is now the last original judge, and still seems to enjoy his role - so it's not unlikely that he'll follow the show to the new channel. Ricky won't, though:
    Metro UK wrote:
    The Kaiser Chiefs rocker says that he won’t follow the show as it moves from BBC to ITV – as he doesn’t think that show bosses will want him.

Confirming his departure after the next series, he told 3am: ‘This is my last one anyway, yeah. I was going to bow out gracefully.

‘I don’t think ITV would want me. They would want to have a totally new show.’

http://metro.co.uk/2015/11/13/ricky-wilson-confirms-next-series-of-the-voice-will-be-his-last-ahead-of-itv-move-5497944/

As for Emma and Marvin? Well, Miss Willis seems to turn up on every channel these days - so she may well continue to host the show following its relocation. There does have to be some continuity, you feel... :o:D;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Emma Willis grinds my gears to be honest. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

The rivalry between the judges is annoying me already

There's a lad that was on the Irish Voice up now, rocker lad

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I always thought Boy George might make a good Judge on one of these shows

Also, I enjoyed Richard Osman's effort tonight ...

https://twitter.com/richardosman/status/685908209182310400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

yep...very much all about the judges rather than the acts.

that Paloma might end up being too annoying for me continuing to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I notice that Paloma is sitting second from the right (from the contestant's perspective).

It might not seem like a major thing - but the female judge has always sat second from the left before now. :o;)

• Advertisement

I notice that Paloma is sitting second from the right (from the contestant's perspective).

It might not seem like a major thing - but the female judge has always sat second from the left before now. :o;)

Bad fung-shewy

Bad fung-shewy

More like change for change's sake. :o:D;)

Is Brian Bennet from the future?

There's a lad that was on the Irish Voice up now, rocker lad

And here's a Cork lass now.

I've lost count of how many Irish contestants there have been on the UK version... :o:o:D:D;);)

More Irish talent bypassing The Voice of Ireland

• Advertisement

She sounds like Maeve Higgins.

Can she legally work in the UK if she is 16? (and still at school)

Georges folks are Irish he has this I'd say

No one under 40 has heard of Boy George

Bernie Clifton!

On The Voice!

That's an unlikely Venn Diagram intersection.

Pity Lloyd Webber is not doing that search for a musical star thingey, he'd have plenty of contestants

No one under 40 has heard of Boy George

Ricky's not yet 38 and Paloma's only 34.

Just sayin'.

:o:o:D;)

That Bernie Clifton audition was genuinely sweet, IMO.

Pity Lloyd Webber is not doing that search for a musical star thingey, he'd have plenty of contestants

Could be wrong here, but the Beeb more or less cast aside his shows (How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?, I'd Do Anything, Over The Rainbow et cetera) to make way for The Voice.

Oh, well - at least they gave us the brilliant Jodie Prenger. :D:);)

Could be wrong here, but the Beeb more or less cast aside his shows (How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?, I'd Do Anything, Over The Rainbow et cetera) to make way for The Voice.

I think he jumped to ITV to do the same type of show for Jesus Christ Superstar. Those programmes were quite popular (and sold lots of Theatre Tickets!)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,271 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ricky is still annoying for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

More Irish talent bypassing The Voice of Ireland

They've got sense so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Christ, Paloma is supremely irritating. Her laugh, ugh. Hated that "i used to be a man" comment she made after the last auditionee, too.

That last auditionee was pretty good.

Love Boy George (and I'm mid twenties, so it's not just the over forties who know him!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Christ, Paloma is supremely irritating. Her laugh, ugh. Hated that "i used to be a man" comment she made after the last auditionee, too.

That last auditionee was pretty good.

Love Boy George (and I'm mid twenties, so it's not just the over forties who know him!).

I found her irritating before this, can't stand her now! They're really dragging the pitches out this year, have to fast forward through most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Niamh Breslin, one of our own and gorgeous. Pity she is a bit shakey and a dreadful song. No turners, a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭CFlat

Irish girl from Dublin through to the next round of the UK Voice. Teaming up with Will i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Young Brooke Waddle was very good and a better singer than her dad was a penalty taker. Pity nobody turned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Girl from Dublin was good. I thought Ricky was very petty with Will, totally unnecessary, as was the waist coat removal. Like that last guy with the hat too.

Nice to hear a brief burst of Diamond Lights earlier :)

The girl from Dublin seemed like a character. Maybe more suited to X Factor than The Voice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Skid X wrote: »
    Nice to hear a brief burst of Diamond Lights earlier :)

The girl from Dublin seemed like a character. Maybe more suited to X Factor than The Voice.

Best of a a bad lot to be honest.

Advertisement