Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Thermometer - which one?

• 09-01-2016 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Will need to pick up a Thermometer soon in advance of our new arrival in the next few weeks.

Can anyone advise on a reliable / accurate thermometer? Also - which is more suitable for a newborn - ear or infrared?

Have done some searching on here and the Braun ear thermometer seems to be highly regarded - but these posts are 3 years + so just wondering if that's still the case.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I'm in the same position as yourself and had decided on the Braun Thermoscan 5. It's working out about 39 euro on Amazon. Haven't ordered it yet though so will be interested to see what people recommend here.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    I'm in the same position as yourself and had decided on the Braun Thermoscan 5. It's working out about 39 euro on Amazon. Haven't ordered it yet though so will be interested to see what people recommend here.

I don't recommend the chicco mytouch contact one..you kind of have to use it in the same location everytime for you to be able to tell if there's a temperature....which defeats the purpose of a contact thermometer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I have a two year old and I bought an ear thermometer when she was born. It was ok when she was a baby but it's not suitable now she's a toddler. She hates having it in her ear and it's hard to get her ear to stay still when I try to put it in her ear. I've recently bought a new thermometer in Boots. It's their own brand. It is scanned on the forehead. So basically I hold the thermometer about one inch from her forehead and press the scan button. Within two seconds it beeps and I can read her thermometer. It's especially handy if she's asleep and I can still take her temperature. She used to wake up the second I tryed to take her temperature via her ear.

I highly recommend it and it's one of those things where I said where has this been all my life!! It's Boots own brand and called a scan thermometer. It's just so convenient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

We have the VisioFocus thermometer - it's excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We got a forehead one and it was brutal, totally inaccurate-out by more than 0.5 celcius on occasion. We now use the aldi ear/forehead thermometer and have a proper normal digital one to check the temperature if the ear/forehead indicates that his temp is up. We do under arm now while he's young and will transfer to under the tongue when he's older. We practise with the thermometer regularly when he's not sick so he hasn't any issues with it at all. (That was the advice of our GP)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We use Braun thermoscan here: our GP uses it too. Find it great and we use it a lot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have two Braun ones...thought I lost one. The first one is the one with the case and I HATE it....it takes too long, something like 25-30 seconds. I used to get some very funny readings as well which I put down to it taking too long and baby wriggling away. I paid around €30ish during Amazon family promo. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001D0LMS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

The second one is the smaller one that doesn't have the case, it's an older model and takes 1-2seconds and is amazing. I bought it on amazon and used parcel motel, it was around €20 or less. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001Q3LWKW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

We have the Tesco own brand one and it's brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I have a two year old and I bought an ear thermometer when she was born. It was ok when she was a baby but it's not suitable now she's a toddler. She hates having it in her ear and it's hard to get her ear to stay still when I try to put it in her ear. I've recently bought a new thermometer in Boots. It's their own brand. It is scanned on the forehead. So basically I hold the thermometer about one inch from her forehead and press the scan button. Within two seconds it beeps and I can read her thermometer. It's especially handy if she's asleep and I can still take her temperature. She used to wake up the second I tryed to take her temperature via her ear.

I highly recommend it and it's one of those things where I said where has this been all my life!! It's Boots own brand and called a scan thermometer. It's just so convenient.

Lol we have the opposite problem! Every time my toddler sees the braun thermometer he puts it in his ear and presses the button to make it beep! Loves it! Although he's never had ear infections which I heard can really upset kids when using that type of thermometer too deeply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

We got a forehead one and it was brutal, totally inaccurate-out by more than 0.5 celcius on occasion. We now use the aldi ear/forehead thermometer and have a proper normal digital one to check the temperature if the ear/forehead indicates that his temp is up. We do under arm now while he's young and will transfer to under the tongue when he's older. We practise with the thermometer regularly when he's not sick so he hasn't any issues with it at all. (That was the advice of our GP)

Which forehead thermometer did you get?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

tinkerbell wrote: »
    Which forehead thermometer did you get?

I honestly can't remember, we needed one in a hurry and they didn't have the Braun. I think it also began with b?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I also have the Aldi ear/forehead one. Still using it in the ear here she hates it but one has to hold her head while the other measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

We've bought this one too. It will also measure the room temp and water in the bath. It was €50 as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Ended up going for the Braun Thermoscan 7 in-ear Thermometer. May not be the most ideal as the baby will be woken if sleeping should a temperature check be needed. In the end it came down to the accuracy and reliability of the Braun brand in the €50 price range. Will post up once we've tried it out - won't be for a few weeks anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I've just checked both mine there and both are still asleep: once you get the hang of it they won't wake! They just stir a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I didn't want to make a new one for the same topic.
    I'm looking to get a baby thermometer. Looking at the braun ones but they seem to not do a non contact one anymore.
    I've been advised that in ear thermometers aren't recommended for new borns any more.
    Can anyone advise on a good model that's available?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

I have a nuk one it’s great . Does ear , forehead and surface temperature. So handy for checking bath temp too . Forehead one is great easy to use , think it was called nuk 3 in 1 if u want to google ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

We got a gift of the braun one and have used it from day one on both and find it great...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Milly33 wrote: »
    We got a gift of the braun one and have used it from day one on both and find it great...

Which model did you get?
    I want to get the Braun one, but have been told by midwifes from two hospitals that they aren’t suitable for newborns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Effects wrote: »
    Which model did you get?
    I want to get the Braun one, but have been told by midwifes from two hospitals that they aren’t suitable for newborns.

There’s an in ear Braun one that says not suitable for newborns but they have a digital thermometer that is in the same range.

Braun PRT2000EU Digital Age Precision Thermometer https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M35Y326/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_4Z.ZEbNB5FGB9

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    Which model did you get?

I shall check there for you when herself rises from her angry nap... :) It is the braun ear one the thermoscan.. We used it from birth on, it has three different options a 0-3mths, then 3mths to some other, and sure the old folks option then.. It is the one they use in the GPs here so cant see why they would say it is not suitable...The one annoying thing is that you have to buy these refill packs of a plastic ear cover, but you can actually use it without them

Not saying anything now, but test the waters as such with some advice even from Midwives. I was quite surprised to hear that in different parts of the country or differant hospitals there is different advice given.. You would think it would all be standard but nope...The worst one i heard was that you do not need to use hot water for making the bottles.. So just do a bit of research yerself

sorry for delay, long nap :).. But it just says the Braun Thermoscan...

Advertisement