Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West coast trip

Options
  • 09-01-2016 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hey all,

Yes I know another west coast trip thread but I went through pages of previous threads and could find what I was looking for. So myself and the better half are planning a west coast trip in September. Plan is to fly in to and rent a car from San Francisco - will be dropping it back there too.

The tentative itinerary is as follows:

San Francisco - 2 nights
    Yosemite - 2 nights
    Vegas - 3 nights
    Grand Canyon - 1 night (or maybe a day trip then stop on the way to SD)
    San Diego - 2 nights
    LA - 1 night
    1 night some where along the Pacific highway
    Back to SF and drop off the car and probably stay 1 more night

The intention is to drive between all the above. We'll stop off at the Hoover dam en route to GC - may go in to Tijuana while in San Diego - definitely intend to drive the cost road back from LA to SF instead of the highway.

We'll probably do the typical "tourist" things in all the above but if anyone has been anywhere along that route which is not going to be in the "top things to do in X lists" I'm all ears.

How does the itinerary look? Should I add/remove a day somewhere? Should we sacrifice SD altogether to definitely stay at the GC for a night or longer at Yosemite or LA?

I know a lot of this is based on preference and opinion by any guidance will be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

phoenix833 wrote: »
    Hey all,

San Francisco - 2 nights
    Yosemite - 2 nights
    Vegas - 3 nights
    Grand Canyon - 1 night (or maybe a day trip then stop on the way to SD)
    San Diego - 2 nights
    LA - 1 night
    1 night some where along the Pacific highway
    Back to SF and drop off the car and probably stay 1 more night

The intention is to drive between all the above. We'll stop off at the Hoover dam en route to GC - may go in to Tijuana while in San Diego - definitely intend to drive the cost road back from LA to SF instead of the highway.

We'll probably do the typical "tourist" things in all the above but if anyone has been anywhere along that route which is not going to be in the "top things to do in X lists" I'm all ears.

How does the itinerary look? Should I add/remove a day somewhere? Should we sacrifice SD altogether to definitely stay at the GC for a night or longer at Yosemite or LA?

Thanks

I think you are underestimating the distances involved. The GC is 4 hours solid from LV which is 8 or 9 hours (and in reality 10/11 by the time you've refueled a couple of times and stopped to eat. The freeways in AZ and CA are boring as hell.

Personally...I loath LV and love the rural side of the west. Yosemite, i've spent a week in and felt like I could do more. The GC is fantastic, but unless you're willing to hike down is probably worth 1 full day. And by that...a 24 hour period. The light changes at sunset and it is incredible - if you get a sunrise out of it as well, then all the better. But there is only so many times you can stare at a hole in the ground :)

San Diego is a nice chilled town and I love visiting it - have done so 3 times since we lived in California , and I love Tijuana (especially the beach area by the border) but be prepared for 6 hours to cross the border back to the US (on a worst case scenario...i've done it in as little as 2, and the worst was 5)

As for the trip from LA to SF. I'd allow 3 days minimum. Stop over close to Hearst castle, then push over Big Sur to Monterey or Santa Cruz, spend the night there and then up to SF (1.5 hours). The first part of the "1" is pretty dull. I would recommend taking highway 101 to San Luis Obispo then switch to "1" ( which is the pacific coast highway)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Well I cant see anything wrong with that.

I would sacrifice San Diego and add a night in LA. It is most certainly worth a day driving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Two nights in SF is the bare minimum. If you want to do things like Alcatraz then you need to book ahead.
    San Diego is good, but the time you have allocated isn't really enough for California and LV.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

Thanks for all the input so far. Great to get an insight from people in the know.

Basically we have 2 1/2 - 3 weeks to play with - the reason the itinerary is limited was just two weeks is we had planned on going to Toronto first (have a return flight to use) to visit friends then fly on to SF.

We might scratch that and just spend the entire break in Cali/Nevada. At least that way it'd give us more time to enjoy Yosemite and maybe an extra few days to spend in LA and along the route back up to SF.

I know Vegas might not be everyone's cup of tea but I suppose you have to see it once. I would certainly be open for staying a night in the GC and the sole reason was to watch a sunrise/sunset or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

As you aren't going to Sequoia, leave Yosemite to the east over the Tioga pass and then check out Bodie. Two things I'm sorry I didn't get to do. Personally I'd skip San Diego and TJ, didn't think much of them.

You should try get to Joshua Tree between Las Vegas and San Diego or Los Angeles depending on your route. Awesome trip, could talk about it all day. Would love to be doing it again.

• Advertisement

You'd need the 3 weeks. With 3 weeks you wouldn't need to do crazy driving and could take in Sequoia or Joshua Tree. If driving from Las Vegas to Joshua Tree you can cross the Mojave Reserve.

Vegas is great craic for a night or two.

Thanks again. I had hoped to go over Tioga pass but didn't know about Brodie so will definitely consider it.

Would I be better off doing the trip in reverse to the above, doing the Pacific coast at the beginning of the journey as opposed to doing Yosemite first? Or would we be better off doing Yosemite first so we aren't wrecked tired after 10+ days on the road? We intend to do some hikes - albeit we are not experienced at all but would like to get out and explore the place.

Maybe scratching San Diego would be best - the intention was to use SD as a base to go into Tijuana but I don't fancy spending 6hrs of my day trying to get back in to the States!

Would I be better off doing the trip in reverse to the above, doing the Pacific coast at the beginning of the journey as opposed to doing Yosemite first? Or would we be better off doing Yosemite first so we aren't wrecked tired after 10+ days on the road? We intend to do some hikes - albeit we are not experienced at all but would like to get out and explore the place.

I think you're doing it the correct way. Its a nice balance, a few days in SF, then you head into the mountains. After yosemite you have the most tedious stretch of driving to get to Vegas. Good to get that out of the way. and doing LA then up the coast to SF is a good finish.

Remember to pay attention to advice about driving in the desert. Have many gallons of water in the car, plenty of petrol, phone charged up, etc etc...

Triple A or AAA (American automobile association) have offices dotted around that are great for tourist/driving advice.

If you want to stay in Yosemite Valley you need to book well in advance. That's a good base for day hikes but is busy and touristy. You can stay outside the park if you don't mind a bit of time driving each day. You could also look at multiple day hikes with rented camping gear but that's a little more advanced.

Are you going to Death Valley? I loved it there and it's a handy stop off for a night between Bodie and Las Vegas if you were coming that way.

We didn't go to Grand Canyon (will be another trip!) so had a bit of extra time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Have a search of my, InTheTrees and iusedtoknow's posts in this and the travel and US forums. We've posted loads of good stuff about this kind of route.

A few things to be aware of: try to drive only during the day for both safety and scenery; get a SatNav for convenience; stick to the speed limits especially on the more challenging mountain or Pacific Coastal Highway sections.

As for Yosemite to LV, it's pretty much a full day's direct drive. If you like your desert driving like I do, you'll enjoy it but, as above if you don't it'll be tedious. You could also consider breaking that part over 2 days and take some of the detours which have gems to explore (Mono Lake, Bodie, Racetrack Playa, Zabriske Point, June Lakes, Mammoth Lakes...). Trying to get to Bodie and any other places in 1 day is unrealistic.

I'd recommend something like: Yosemite > Lee Vinning > Bodie > Lee Vinning > Mono Lake > June Lakes Loop > Mammoth Lakes > Overnight in some where like Bishop or Lone Pine > Through Death Valley via > Panamint Springs> Stovepipe Wells > Furnace Creek > Death Valley Junction > then to Vegas via Pahrump with a detour or two. Water, water, water.

hth

• Advertisement

Personally I rather a map than GPS as it gives a better sense of where you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

A few more things:

Night in the High Sierras can get very cold even in summer mainly due to altitude.
    The laws and sanctions in California are much more relaxed than in Nevada. What could get you a talking to in CA could get in a jumpsuit and deported in Vegas/NV. I also remember when I crossed the border into Nevada from LA there was loads of people pulled over for speeding.
    Also factor in a delay of around 30 mins to the PCH/HWY1 and Yosemite/Death Valley sections. You can get long delays due to the way they operate contra-flows in the US - you could be waiting ages.
    budgemook wrote: »
    Personally I rather a map than GPS as it gives a better sense of where you are.
    I'm usually a map person but I learnt a lesson when I missed a poorly sign-posted divergence of HWY1 and either 35 (or was it the HWY280) and almost missed another one around Santa Barbara. OP the PCH/HWY1 shares some of its sections with other routes, so you've gotta watch out for where they split and join.

Thanks Tricky D and budgemook for the info. I know it sounds a bit naive but gallons of water is something I wouldn't have thought of so tips like that are greatly appreciated. Especially about the traffic laws in different states. Definitely wanted to go through Death Valley for sure.

After having discussed it with herself we're leaning towards leaving SD out altogether - I don't think there's enough there that would interest us to keep us there for 2 days. Based on what we've be told in this thread and the bit of research we did ourselves it seems a bit out of the way to spend two days which could be spent stopping off on the road to Vegas from Yosemite and an extra day while travelling back up along the Pacific highway.

So the revised plan would be:
    SF - 2 nights
    Yosemite - 2 nights
    Road to Vegas from Yosemite - 1 night (as tricky d suggested)
    Vegas - 2/3nights
    GC - 1 night
    Drive to LA - 1 night (random motel along the way)
    LA - 2 nights
    Pacific highway - 2 nights (as iusedtoknow's suggested)
    Back to SF

Does this look more achievable and broken up so there's no massive stretches of driving? And enough stops to take in the surroundings without rushing through. Ideally we'd like to spend more time to do it but trying to keep within the 2 week limit

Looks good. Your random night between LV and LA could be Joshua Tree. There's a lovely place beside one entrance to the park called twenty nine palms and Joshua Tree is best visited at dusk and at the crack of dawn so you'd have time to go there via Mojave Reserve I think. One of the highlights of my trip!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

We did 2 weeks in the west coast last summer.

5 nights in San Francisco with plenty to do.

3 nights in Santa Cruz.

The rest in Lake Tahoe.

Rented a car for Santa Cruz/Lake Tahoe. Was a great trip with lots of different things to do/see in both. We had two kids with us didnt want a lot of traveling (which was luck as we found out the winding roads to Lake Tahoe made a little boy very very car sick!)

Thanks again for all the responses.

So based on our above itinerary we are thinking around €2000 for spending money per person. This would have to cover the car hire + fuel costs, accommodation for 2 weeks and then the rest for park entrances/food/shopping/vegas etc.

Fuel and accommodation costs will be split. And we intend to book hotels etc in advance. Averages out at about €140 each per day. Naturally we'll have more for emergencies but does that amount seem reasonable for what we're looking to do?

Thanks again for all the responses.

So based on our above itinerary we are thinking around €2000 for spending money per person. This would have to cover the car hire + fuel costs, accommodation for 2 weeks and then the rest for park entrances/food/shopping/vegas etc.

Fuel and accommodation costs will be split. And we intend to book hotels etc in advance. Averages out at about €140 each per day. Naturally we'll have more for emergencies but does that amount seem reasonable for what we're looking to do?

I think you will need a little more, especially in the cities.

Remember the following-
    15%-20% tip on restaurant foods (in SF 20% is standard)
    $1 per drink in a bar (non happy hour beers in SF are around $5)
    Each night in a hotel will have various taxes on top (you'll only see this as you're booking)
    Fuel is running between $2.50 and $3 a gallon in California (input your route into google maps and you can come out with a rough price)
    Attractions can add up as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Beersmith

We are doing a similar trip in March
    3 nights - SF
    1 night - Templeton
    1 night - santa barbara
    2 nights - LA
    3 nights - san diego
    3 nights - vegas (heli tour of GC)
    4 nights - santa rosa area

The vegas to santa rosa section is a bit of a crazy drive but not interested in yosemite and nothing else that really interests us on the way. Haven't booked accom for the last 4 days so open to advice

To the OP, doesn't everyone advise driving south from SF for the views?

Beersmith wrote: »
    3 nights - SF
    1 night - Templeton
    1 night - santa barbara
    2 nights - LA
    3 nights - san diego
    3 nights - vegas (heli tour of GC)
    4 nights - santa rosa area

The vegas to santa rosa section is a bit of a crazy drive but not interested in yosemite and nothing else that really interests us on the way. Haven't booked accom for the last 4 days so open to advice

Yeah that's a massive drive. Which way are you going?

4 nights in wine country, nice :)

Santa Rosa is many things...but wine country it isn't. It's the edge of Sonoma/Napa but is equally close to highway 1 in Sonoma country. Bodega bay (of "The birds" fame is there) and there are some lovely little towns like Point Reyes Station and the surrounding country side as well

Santa Rosa itself is pretty blah

• Advertisement

Yeah that's a massive drive. Which way are you going?

I think if we leave early and share the driving we should get it done. Just the highway passing through Bakersfield.

Its beer country we are after not the wine ;)

If I remember correctly Santa Rosa is a very short drive from Sonoma.

There's a very popular brewery in Santa Rosa, had a couple of beers there. There's always a big queue outside but it's like they have the queue there on purpose because it's not that busy inside.

I'm not sure as I'm a total novice but I was advised earlier in this thread that for the route we want to do, starting in SF, heading east to Yosemite first is the best. Then drive north from LA to SF along the Pacific highway.

iusedtoknow - again great insightful input. Route works out about 2000 miles give or take a few according to a route calculator so I suppose fuel costs will depend on price at the time and the mpg of the car.

We might go for 2.5K each so and in the interim hope the exchange rate becomes more favourable for us!

I'm not sure as I'm a total novice but I was advised earlier in this thread that for the route we want to do, starting in SF, heading east to Yosemite first is the best. Then drive north from LA to SF along the Pacific highway.

!

Both are good to be honest with you. Driving from LA to SF you are on the inside lane but the scenery is magnificent whatever way you drive it.

3 nights - SF
    1 night - Templeton
    1 night - santa barbara

Templeton? Is there any reason?

Thats on highway 101, but the road you really want to drive is Highway 1. Unless you go down highway one and then cut over to Templeton.

Morro Bay or San Louis Obispo are more convenient.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Templeton? Is there any reason?

Thats on highway 101, but the road you really want to drive is Highway 1. Unless you go down highway one and then cut over to Templeton.

Morro Bay or San Louis Obispo are more convenient.

Im cutting over. There are some awesome breweries in templeton :)

Russian River Brewing Company is the one in Santa Rosa that I mentioned, the one with the queue. Not sure I'd go back though due to the contrived queuing.

Russian River Brewing Company is the one in Santa Rosa that I mentioned, the one with the queue. Not sure I'd go back though due to the contrived queuing.

Yeah but once im in I won't be leaving :p

Seabright Brewery in Santa Cruz is pretty good.

• Advertisement

OP here.

So we have the first leg of our route sorted. Now from Yosemite to Vegas is where I'm looking for a little guidance.

We intend to leave SF early on the Thursday morning (Sept 1st) and arrive in yosemite a little after noon. Luckily some space has come up in the valley for that night so we plan to stay there then spend the next morning/afternoon exploring what we didn't get to see on day 1.

Head out via Tioga pass and take in Bodie and come back down and stay in perhaps Lee Vinning. The next day then head south towards Death Valley.

The question is is it worth stopping another night along that route you LV or suck it up and just do the whole drive in one day?

We're not stuck for days so an extra night isn't a problem but just not certain if it's necessary? It may mean we could get an extra night in SF?

Intention is to take in death vally junction then head to Vegas via Prahump.

Opinions and thoughts always welcome

Advertisement