Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West coast trip

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

phoenix833 wrote: »
    OP here.

So we have the first leg of our route sorted. Now from Yosemite to Vegas is where I'm looking for a little guidance.

We intend to leave SF early on the Thursday morning (Sept 1st) and arrive in yosemite a little after noon. Luckily some space has come up in the valley for that night so we plan to stay there then spend the next morning/afternoon exploring what we didn't get to see on day 1.

Head out via Tioga pass and take in Bodie and come back down and stay in perhaps Lee Vinning. The next day then head south towards Death Valley.

The question is is it worth stopping another night along that route you LV or suck it up and just do the whole drive in one day?

We're not stuck for days so an extra night isn't a problem but just not certain if it's necessary? It may mean we could get an extra night in SF?

Intention is to take in death vally junction then head to Vegas via Prahump.

Opinions and thoughts always welcome

It's not worth stopping. I did that exact drive before and we were glad to have continued straight through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Lee V > Lone Pine > Pahrump > Vegas is just over 6 hours. There's very little on that route worth stopping for except Zabriske Point which right beside the road and maybe Father Crowley Viewpoint on the west side of Panamint Valley where aircraft fighters sometimes do canyon practice if your timing is very lucky. The only attraction I'd be interested in might be Racetrack Playa for the sailing stones but not sure if the detour is quite worth it. However your mileage might vary if you like stopping off in tiny desert places or do some off road stuff. Personally it's the desert drive which mainly does it for me and being a smoker it was handy to stop off for a few minutes now and then at some photogenic spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭phoenix833

Tricky D thanks again for the informative post.

I'd like to pick your brain once more....after Vegas we are going to the south rim of the Grand Canyon and staying for a night.

We could potentially drop the car back in Vegas and fly back to LA for our flight back Home. Or else drive back to LA from the GC with a night stop over along the way.

All things considered it works out much the same in terms of cost and I've heard the drive back to LA is not the best aside for Joshua Tree maybe so I just wanted to know, in your opinion, is it worth the extra 4/5 hours in a car when a 90min flight would do?

Advertisement