Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Box for < 200 euro

Options
  • 09-01-2016 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Hi all...

bit of a weird one but would it possible to build a linux box for 200 euro or less?

The only thing that might challenge it would be I woud be running maybe 2 or 3 vms running CentOS server disto's (CLI only no GUI ) and even then they wouldnt be working as proper servers as I'd just be changing config files etc.

I'd also like the box to be micro atx.

1. What is your budget? 200

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? running 3xVMs with linux distros

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? no

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future?

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? no

8. How can you pay? cocaine , hookers and credit card

9. When are you purchasing? soon

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? no

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Adverts. At that price youll get a nice little headless yoke to shove in the corner second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

ED E wrote: »
    Adverts. At that price youll get a nice little headless yoke to shove in the corner second hand.
    Yeah I was thinking of just buying second would get what I need but also thought id throw it in here and see what options I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you could get one, a NUC would be perfect. Unless what you wanted to run would work on a Pi2.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Realistically you could build a PC for €300ish with Pentium G3258, a 300W PSU, 8GB ram, H81 Motherboard and 60GB SSD for fast read right times and a case. Run the parts through skinflint.co.uk to save a few euro. An older gen i-core PC might be better for multiple VM's, though.

Advertisement