Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to get rid of the swear filter?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Apologies :o

I too think the swear filter should remain, it's better for the site in a whole lot of ways to have it.

The unintended URL glitch thing is a bit of a nuisance now and again, but not the worst thing in the world either.
    There are no shortage of URLs with flagged words in them that absolutely wouldn't be welcome here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Cabaal wrote: »
    How about people making at least a little bit of effort to construct a sentence without resorting to swearing to get their point across? Not good enough? :D

Nope, swearing is cool and fun.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nope, swearing is cool and fun.

and clever!...you forgot clever!
    All the cool kids are doing it these days....that and smoking,

and clever!...you forgot clever!
    All the cool kids are doing it these days....that and smoking,

Check my first post. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Frada, me auld segoshia! :D this discussion has been ongoing since you and me were nippers on this site, you're here long enough to remember the scandal in the test forum where we all got around the filter and a certain admin couldn't! lol, happy days they were...

Back then, the boards server was still under DeVs setee and they didn't really care about such things as wimmin and children had not yet discovered the internet.. nowadays, however its much different, you cant cuss out loud, no parading in your underwear any more, you cant wear wimminz stockings (wait, what?) and no more taking the mick out of banned users on feedback...
    Is it progress or regress? mmm can't tell. :)

Stay safe bro..

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

remember that time they banned oxygen? fun times in the science forums...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Cabaal wrote:
    How about people making at least a little bit of effort to construct a sentence without resorting to swearing to get their point across? Not good enough?

As an extremely articulate English grad, I can personally attest that there are times when only a good old swear will suffice. Particularly in Ranting & Raving.

Suggesting that it's down to laziness or inability to construct sentences is quite patronising, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Orion wrote: »
    Without the swear filter many corporate firewalls would block the site for profanity. That would reduce traffic to the site.

Mods/Admins - is this true? If so, maybe it might make sense to put up a sticky once and for all explaining that the swear filter is there to keep site traffic up.
    How about people making at least a little bit of effort to construct a sentence without resorting to swearing to get their point across? Not good enough? :D

You could make the same (poor) argument about lousy grammar and spelling, both of which are rife on the site.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Mods/Admins - is this true? If so, maybe it might make sense to put up a sticky once and for all explaining that the swear filter is there to keep site traffic up.

It would be as much use as BMW putting bulbs in the indicators of their cars. Nobody would notice.

Maybe there was a sticky, who knows, nobody seems to read them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Steve wrote: »
    Maybe there was a sticky, who knows, nobody seems to read them.

You're right! Maybe some sort of small flashing light would attract attention to them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I'd prefer to use words like fup off , backstard, grasshole and pedrophile.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Dial Hard wrote: »
    As an extremely articulate English grad, I can personally attest that there are times when only a good old swear will suffice. Particularly in Ranting & Raving.

More effective that way.
    Suggesting that it's down to laziness or inability to construct sentences is quite patronising, imo.

Zero effect if basically every single post includes swearing.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that people should swear more.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't think anyone is suggesting that people should swear more.

That seems a very random reply to my post.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

K-9 wrote:
    That seems a very random reply to my post.

Why?

You said that there was zero effect in profanity if every single post was a curse.

He's saying nobody necessarily wants to curse more than they already do. But that when they do, they should just be able to do it like actual adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Dav wrote: »

I don't like soccer, but you'd never see me try and ban that :) So "I don't like swear words" isn't an excuse you're going to see here.
    Soccer isn't banned. Swear words are. If discussion of soccer was as damaging to the business success of the site as swear words apparently are, would it make sense to ban soccer discussion? Would it be right?

Canadel wrote: »
    Soccer isn't banned. Swear words are. If discussion of soccer was as damaging to the business success of the site as swear words apparently are, would it make sense to ban soccer discussion? Would it be right?

When you amass multiple forum bans / sitebans / infractions / previous accounts.. your feedback credibility wains somewhat.

At the risk of offending my superiors, piss off.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

When you amass multiple forum bans / sitebans / infractions / previous accounts.. your feedback credibility wains somewhat.
    Why should it though? And this could apply to a few other threads in this forum. If a poster makes a valid point, what difference should it make who they are? Attack the post, and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If swearing is banned, why are workarounds allowed in the form of misspelled words and asterisks.
    They don't add to the post and make it more difficult to read.

Its been mentioned that kids use this site, they're not stupid then know what the misspellings mean.
    Would you really want your kids exposed to some of the garbage on this site?

I'm on an astronomy forum where such things are banned. Its a pleasure to read peoples posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

At the risk of offending my superiors, piss off.
    And yet you've managed to lose credibility without any of those things.

Congratulations.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Beasty wrote: »
    We are not actually adults here though. My 12yo daughter mentioned to me only yesterday that one of her school friends is on Boards. I realise the minimum age is supposed to be 13 but it was suggested in one of the recent threads on the topic that one of the requirements to classify a site as suitable for children of that age is to have the swear filter.

Ban of sex talk, riding, drugs etc should be prohibited too if so.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ban of sex talk, riding, drugs etc should be prohibited too if so.

The S&S forum is dead, so it looks like people aren't bothering to talk about sex any more anyway!

Talk about where to source drugs and how to take them is also banned, so your last example ain't a great one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement